454 Casull or S&W 500

bearclaw

Three Bladed Penetrator
Just take a fat hunting partner with you, and let them worry about the bears, you just out run them...

Nice hand cannon choice Ed!

bearclaw

Three Bladed Penetrator
Yeah, Ed is the man with regards to AK.

I need to get a good bottle of brown for him so I get to hunt with him again too...

just_ducky_1

heck yeah ed. great pick, i want one now!

ok other gun lovers...currious why not a springfield operator with 10 round chip macormick and some 230grn jacketed hollow points or something there of, that you can put 10 rounds in the sized of a pie plate quick as hell.....i know i know, i always tell loved ones to get revolvers, pull the trigger six times and hear six bangs....or pull the trigger three times then....#####...tap rack bang for the rest and hope not to get eaten. is that the general consensus about autos?

ppine

Before you commit yourself to any of those big bores, go shoot a few rounds with each of them. When I worked in bear country in SE Alaska I quickly gave up pistols and carried a big bore rifle. The new big bore handguns are powerful but not that much fun to shoot. They are always on your person which is a big advantage.

ppine

I agree that the .460 S&W is the most versatile of the new big bores with the capability to shoot .45 LC, .454 Casull and the .460.

ppine said:
I agree that the .460 S&W is the most versatile of the new big bores with the capability to shoot .45 LC, .454 Casull and the .460.
Yes it is able to accept these different rounds.....but will a guy ever really shoot anything but his preference? Probably not. When my ol' lady bought her car, she insisted that it have the "sport" manual shift mode.......I never see her take it out of D.

ppine

Most people are not going to target shoot with .460s but that is what you want for Montana, Canada and Alaska. Shoot the .45 LC for target practice. Shoot the .454 because that is what the store in Yellow Knife carried at 2200.

Put very little stock in guns that are "badass", "look cool", or "impress people at the range." Carry a gun like that because it can save your life, but learn how to shoot it first. Many people can't hit a barn door with it because they are afraid of the considerable recoil. I have shot the .44 mag for 45 years, but carry a Model 71 Winchester in .348 in bear country. In Canada handguns do you no good.

ppine said:
Most people are not going to target shoot with .460s but that is what you want for Montana, Canada and Alaska. Shoot the .45 LC for target practice. Shoot the .454 because that is what the store in Yellow Knife carried at 2200.

Put very little stock in guns that are "badass", "look cool", or "impress people at the range." Carry a gun like that because it can save your life, but learn how to shoot it first. Many people can't hit a barn door with it because they are afraid of the considerable recoil. I have shot the .44 mag for 45 years, but carry a Model 71 Winchester in .348 in bear country. In Canada handguns do you no good.
With that logic .357 will be more than enough.....unless you're wanted to be the cool kid on the block.

ppine

Shoot at a salmon eating bear in Alaska with a .357 mag and guarantee that you will piss him off enough to want to kill you. Use the wrong slugs and they will bounce off the skull or major bones in those bears. Better to just carry one round and shoot yourself.

ppine said:
Shoot at a salmon eating bear in Alaska with a .357 mag and guarantee that you will piss him off enough to want to kill you. Use the wrong slugs and they will bounce off the skull or major bones in those bears. Better to just carry one round and shoot yourself.
Then why not make it a 50BMG You're an ignorant slut.

weekender21

Picking up my 44 mag Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan this month, can't wait. I have a few boxes of Buffalo Bore 340 gr +P+ for Alaska bear protection.

Ducky's Dad

According to a Turner's email that came today, the S&W 500 (at least one version) is falling off the DOJ list in a short time. Turner's has them on sale, limited quantities..

Ducky's Dad said:
According to a Turner's email that came today, the S&W 500 (at least one version) is falling off the DOJ list in a short time. Turner's has them on sale, limited quantities..
It all makes sense now. I forgot that Californians are thought to be irresponsible with firearms and I didn't realize that you guys couldn't own some of them.

SCREWLOOSE

duckkillerclyde said:
It all makes sense now. I forgot that Californians are thought to be irresponsible with firearms and I didn't realize that you guys couldn't own some of them.
Too many Californians are irresponsible with their ballot.....

BRET

I just recently got the Ruger Super Redhawk "Alaskan" in .454 Casull, 2" barrel, for Ed and I's next adventure! Grabbed a box of .45 colt 200grn and a box of .454 360grn. Shot a couple of cylinders of the .45 and was surprised at the accuracy at 20 yards, it was pretty much spot on! very fun to shoot also.

So......I put in a cylinder of the big boys, took steady aim and BAM! I'm wondering why my arm is pointing toward the sky and I'm looking behind me to see where the person with the sledge hammer that just took a swing at the palm of my hand is!!!!!!!!!!! Still very accurate, but better make sure that first shot is good because it will take a moment to get back on target. My theory is that if I need to use it in Alaska I probably won't even notice the recoil as I will have other issues to consider :)