454 Casull or S&W 500

Brushstomper

My vote is for the 454 Casull. I have shot the 500 also, they will both do the job but as stated earlier the 454 will be easier to find and cheaper and that's what most guides are packing it seems like. Personal preference and how it feels in your hand should dictate which one gets to go home with you. One of these days when I go to Alaska I will have an excuse to get the 454! Let us know what you end up with!

2rocky

What ever you do don't let Fred Eichler's Kodiak guide buddy do your reloads....A real one shot wonder....

Wister Junkie

I have the S&W 500 4", its a great gun. I'm sure either choice would be good, see which one fits and feels better to you.

Huntducks

It's truely amazing just a few years back they killed anything with a 44mag.

I would much rather have a gun that I could handel them something that the recoil was so bad it took you 5 sec to get back on target and foreget the double action IMO very poor arcuracy

Guys it all about the bullets I would match any of my home cast 430.dia 245gr or 265gr hard cast to any jacketed bullet, they will drive straight thru any bear and stay together and the wound channel is unreal.

BUY A GUN YOU CAN HANDEL SHOT PLACEMENT IS WERE IT'S AT.

It's truely amazing just a few years back they killed anything with a 44mag.

I would much rather have a gun that I could handel them something that the recoil was so bad it took you 5 sec to get back on target and foreget the double action IMO very poor arcuracy

Guys it all about the bullets I would match any of my home cast 430.dia 245gr or 265gr hard cast to any jacketed bullet, they will drive straight thru any bear and stay together and the wound channel is unreal.

BUY A GUN YOU CAN HANDEL SHOT PLACEMENT IS WERE IT'S AT.
You've never shot a 500SW perfomance center have you?

weekender21

The smaller and lighter the better IMO. You're not buying it for target practice and I doubt you'll notice the ridiculous recoil of the light frame .454 or .500 models when the front sight is covered with brown bear saliva. Just let me know what caliber you end up with so I know what to buy when I borrow it!

I've been looking for a dedicated "bear gun" for a while too. I was thinking of buying the smallest, lightest .44 I could find. I know it's the smallest caliber recommended every time this topic comes up but I want one that I'd be willing to carry 100% of the time. I know I'm being "captain obvious" here but that thing will do you no good in the tent or in your pack.

BOWUNTR

Here's what I decided on... Ruger Alaskan 454 Casull. The one on Cal Guns is sold... I'd rather buy used. Anyone know of one out there for sale? Andy you're welcome to it anytime... Ed F

Attachments

paulc

That looks bitching. Wished I needed one.

Ed, I just went through looking for a very specific gun (ruger M77 compact .308 16.6" barrell). I was surprised what I came up with on the internet.

I found one on calguns, lots on gunbroker.com and also other websites. I googled the gun and ended up paying about half of the price of a new one (New was $900).

Living in CA, it may be a bit of a problem to ship it to CA, but, being a LEO I bet you got that part handled.

MuleDeerHunter

I see Cor-Bon makes 335 gr. hard-cast ammo for it, muzzle energy of 1788. Wonder what it will shoot like? Let us know after you get it.

SDHNTR

The smaller and lighter the better IMO. You're not buying it for target practice and I doubt you'll notice the ridiculous recoil of the light frame .454 or .500 models when the front sight is covered with brown bear saliva. Just let me know what caliber you end up with so I know what to buy when I borrow it!

I've been looking for a dedicated "bear gun" for a while too. I was thinking of buying the smallest, lightest .44 I could find. I know it's the smallest caliber recommended every time this topic comes up but I want one that I'd be willing to carry 100% of the time. I know I'm being "captain obvious" here but that thing will do you no good in the tent or in your pack.
Totally with you on this one Andy that is why I was lookingat that 329pd, but now that Ed is buying, problem solved.

weekender21

Looks like an awesome hand cannon Ed, looking forward to a report. Hopefully you won't have to use is for anything but piece of mind though!

BOWUNTR

Actually... I'd like to blow the balls off a charging rhino... That's a famous quote from Uncle Ted, for all you young bucks. Ed F