454 Casull or S&W 500

BOWUNTR

With all this crazy G-3 nonsense going on.... I got to thinkin... I need to buy that dream handgun I've always been talking about. It'll only be for brown/grizzly bear defense.... stainless large frame revolver with a 4" barrel. I just need you firearms experts to talk me in to one of these two calibers. On all my Alaskan adventures I've always borrowed one or went without. I need one for my own.... Ed F

My dream pistol is a dessert eagle in .44 and GOLD......and that shiny taurus with mother of pearl grips.

After I get these two guns, expect to see me in a rap music video.

Raully

I've shot the the 454 and it's a beast. With that said I've never shot the 500 but I would choose it since I'm a firm believer "in better to have more than not enough". I've have a model 629 4" stainless S&W 44 that I love just don't know if thats enough gun for a Griz.

bpnclark

454. The ammo is cheaper and easier to find. And at 10 yards I dont think a bear is going to see a difference. But at a party or camp (and the drinking starts), you'll be glad your paying $45/box than $65/box........

Bishop

I've shot both, and own two .454's, along with three .44mags.
I think either would be good for bear protection, with a edge going to the .500. One thing to consider is what is available in Calif. and how much you want to spend. The Taurus Raging Bull and the Freedom Arms .454's are 5 shots. The 8.5" barreled Raging Bull is the only one on the Cal. list. But if you can find a PTT one in 5.5" barrel, that would be a good carry gun. Downside is 5 shot.
The Freedom Arms are exempt from the list because their single action, so you can get several barrel lengths. Downside is single action, 5 shot, and very expensive.
The Ruger Super Redhawk is available in a short barreled "Alaskan" model, and is a 6 shot. They're hard to find, but there's one for sale right now on Calguns: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=649903
The Smith & Wesson 500 are also good choices, and probably easier to get in different barrel lengths. Downside 5 shot, huge frame.

SDHNTR

It's only a .44 but have you seen the S&W 329 pd model? I want one! It's bad ass! Weighs like 25 oz or something compared to the 48+ oz on a typical large frame. For something that will be carried more than shot, going as light as possible makes sense to me. I also just bought a .44 lever carbine so having a matching pistol seems cool to me.

That said, Leo carries a .454 Ruger Alaskan and he said he loves it. I fondled it and its a tank. Would only be good for point blank work pretty much with that short bbl, but I guess that is what it's for. Have you picked up a large frame S&W revolver? They are huge! I played with one at the gun counter and mostly came to the conclusion it would be a huge PITA to carry around all day. Not just the weight, but the bulk of it. The Ruger Super Blackhawk is much more user friendly and handy, IMO, if you can deal with it being single action.

Shot

I would go with the 454 or even a 460 s&w over the 500. I've shot all of them, all preformed great. All three will drop any living thing. Reason I pick the 454 and 460 is ammo availability. Between those two, I would pick the 460. Out of the 460 you can shoot 454 ammo and 45 long colt. Three different ammo in one handgun, pretty awesome. Light loads for practice and mag loads for the real deal.

Finding ammo in a big city is usually not a problem, but when we travel into more rural areas finding that 500 ammo will be tough. Last I checked, walmart in the IE carried 454 and 45 long colt ammo, but no 500's.

upper

Can you shoot a 45LC out of a Ruger?,I read something about 410 also...............Upper

just_ducky_1

In my opinion it has to be double action. When that bear it charging you don't want to have to be fanning your defense side arm. Sso probably 454. My .02

No .410 in handguns in CA - considered a short-barreled shotgun (because, well, it is). Snake shot rounds are OK though. Go figure.

That includes the T/C .45/.410 barrel.

Am I the only one that remembers when Kodiaks were said to just fall over dead at the mere mention of a .44 magnum? Now they seem to be regarded as plinkers

SDHNTR

Yep, and with the +p ammo available today, you are getting real close to .454 performance. More versatile, IMO.

BOWUNTR

I borrowed and carried a 629pd on my caribou hunt.... cool little gun. I want something more powerful. The interior grizzlys I have run in to were not much bigger than a large black bear and I think the 44 is fine. On kodiak the smallest bear I've ran in to was 500-600 pounds... and most looked much larger. Some kodiak veterans... guys with tons of experience and much bigger balls than I have, think I'm foolish to hunt Alaska without a big handgun. I have an old swat thigh holster that I had converted to hold a large frame revolver, so carrying that 500 is no problem. I'm leaning towards the 454 and that Ruger. Thanks. Ed F

Coondog

Ed.. I have got to play around with one, but haven't got to shoot it yet. It's a cool gun, just big and heavy. Just be careful out there in Cali with all of those stupid crazy laws....

Bishop

Get the Taurus Raging Bull.. Then you can shoot .454, .410 and .45 Long Colt....
I've got a Raging Bull. The cylinder is too short to shoot a .410. There may be another .454 that will shoot the .410, but I haven't heard of it yet. The Taurus "Judge" will shoot .45LC and .410, but not the .454 Casull. The S&W "Governor" shoots the .45LC, .45acp., & .410.

fudster

Well I happen to have one of Clint's favorite movie day guns, 7.5 inch barrel, great gun.

now my question to you, what's up with the 4'' barrel? do you feel you will lose to much bullet speed running through another 3.5"?

:smiley-xmas-hat:

SDHNTR

Well I happen to have one of Clint's favorite movie day guns, 7.5 inch barrel, great gun.

now my question to you, what's up with the 4'' barrel? do you feel you will lose to much bullet speed running through another 3.5"?

:smiley-xmas-hat:
When a bear wants your ass, 4" is easier to yank out of a holster than 7.5".