45 colt vs 357 mag for bear

nicapopolis

If you are still planning on doing some wilderness backpacking in CA you should change this from bear to mountain lion.

The lion is the true king of the back country.

Arrowslinger

Animal lover!
Neither! Too heavy, your primary weapon needs to kill long distance and be used for problem bears at close range. Everything you take on your trips need to serve multiple purposes.

jedventure

when i showed up in bear camp with my 357 the boys (hounds men) kinda chuckled and said just stay behind us.

i went home and purchased a 44mag. never herd another chuckle.

bearclaw

Three Bladed Penetrator
Just out run your cat and you are fine.

But seriously kid, there are 1,000 things you have to do wrong before you have to use a handgun in ANY DEFENSE SITUATION. If you want to prepare for a short range situation with a predator, you'd be better off to perfect your fetal position than anything, and that's the gospel.

Mrfish

45 auto would not be my choice of a backcountry personal protection weapon. Good for killing humans, not for tough critters. Too slow of a bullet with rapid expansion. .44 would be a better choice

bearclaw

Three Bladed Penetrator
I'd love to see JJ shoot a .44 mag. Please video it!

But seriously, carrying that piece of steel around on the off chance you have a point-blank confrontation with a predator is silly. As AS said, if you are in the woods hunting, your primary weapon should also handle the "when and if". The people that do carry heavy steel around for "protection" in the woods find it in the bottom of the pack or in the truck when it is needed.

Good luck, but I would not recommend you carry a large bore handgun with a clear mind. They are heavy, get snagged on things, and of course kick like a mule. I'm not being a smartass here...

If I were hunting with a handgun it would probably be a Glock 10MM for close range for the simplicity and familiarity.

Now, if you really get into hunting and get some years in the field and behind some weapons and you head to AK to hunt, that is a different scenario and one that would likely end in a .44Mag in a cross-chest holster when going through alder patches, etc.

Good luck

longbeard55

If you will notice, JJ said 45 colt not 45 auto. There is a big difference between a 45 auto and a 45 colt. The 45 colt is a revolver round that can be loaded to meet or exceed the power of the 44 mag. Factory loads in 45 colt will be milder than the .44 mag but if you load your own and have a revolver that will handle the loads you can easily match the 44. Some 45 colts are made for cowboy loads and some 5 shot cylinders can be loaded as hot as the 44. Check you loading manuals. This being said it is my personal opinion that neither of these guns are good protection for bear. The 44 mag loaded to its hottest is still far below the power of a 30 30 and I don't think too many would use that for Brown bear. However if .44 is all you have its better than nothing.

El Maton

Neither of those work for me...i myself have a 454 Casull....talk about kicking like a mule! JJ would have his hands full with this one...literally!

lurediver

Winner!
I think you guys are giving the kid a little too much street kred. He wanted to take his cat camping with him, do you guys actually think he'll see a bear in the woods?

john james

longbeard55 said:
If you will notice, JJ said 45 colt not 45 auto. There is a big difference between a 45 auto and a 45 colt. The 45 colt is a revolver round that can be loaded to meet or exceed the power of the 44 mag. Factory loads in 45 colt will be milder than the .44 mag but if you load your own and have a revolver that will handle the loads you can easily match the 44. Some 45 colts are made for cowboy loads and some 5 shot cylinders can be loaded as hot as the 44. Check you loading manuals. This being said it is my personal opinion that neither of these guns are good protection for bear. The 44 mag loaded to its hottest is still far below the power of a 30 30 and I don't think too many would use that for Brown bear. However if .44 is all you have its better than nothing.
i think 45 and 357 approach some rifle ballistics in a rifle am i right? and yes even though i specifically said 45 colt somehow people got it twisted so yes i was talking about the 45 COLT not acp. i was talking about black bear too no brownies. thanks for the feedback guys.

john james

lurediver said:
I think you guys are giving the kid a little too much street kred. He wanted to take his cat camping with him, do you guys actually think he'll see a bear in the woods?
whats so bad about taking your cat? people take their dogs camping all the time? just because its not socially acceptable for some reason to bring a specific animal with you it seems weird or whatever you think. theres benefits of having a cat. i might have to sacrifice him or some thing i get attacked

QUACKILLR

When venturing in the forest in ca I was always more concerned with pot farmers rather than predators. Capacity over size.. I typically carried my regular mid range hunting rifle .30-06 with 20 rds of ammo, a .40 sidearm with two spare mags and my m-4 with 6 mags loaded with green tip ammo.. That's just me though..

But really.. Get a small container of bear spray.. But if you must... .357 is my vote... Smaller diameter with more velocity is going to be needed to penetrate yogis fat...