1936 Wyoming Elk Mount

PatWeatherby

Reaction score
Greetings,

I know that this is just my third post or so, but it was not my reason for signing up.

My mother-in-law would like to sell this elk mount. It has a tag from 1936 and was in the cabin she inherited. I would like to keep it for myself, but it's too big, unfortunately.

Is this mount even worth anything? I was told people rather have a mount of an animal they shot themselves and, therefore, it's not really worth much.

Looking forward for your feedback, thanks!

- Patrick

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-29 at 4.43.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-29 at 4.43.50 PM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 3

ilovesprig

Reaction score
That thing looks great for 80+ years old.....Elks lodge may want it............ :smiley-thumbs-up-aqua:

ps......I'd keep it..... :smiley-wnk-yellow:

nicapopolis

Reaction score
I'm with Trig. Just keep it. Figure out somewhere to store it.

PatWeatherby

Reaction score
I agree, thanks for the feedback. I'll let her know. If she still wants to sell it, how much could she ask for?

Zach

Comedian in training, at least on the internet
Reaction score
PatWeatherby said:
I agree, thanks for the feedback. I'll let her know. If she still wants to sell it, how much could she ask for?
I see ads on craigslist here in CO, anywhere from $200 to over $1k, depending on size and quality.
Watch local laws.

Hogskin

My style is impetuous, my defenses impregnable.
Reaction score
Could also donate to a nonprofit and get a fat tax deduction if nobody can keep it.

TheGDog

Reaction score
Keep it. Use it as inspiration for you to get one of your own! To keep you motivated to be persistent!

One Track

Reaction score
Keep it! For now, hang it in a local bar or sporting goods store, and get a receipt that says that you can pick it up whenever you want. That's what I do with all my big mounts.

TonyS

Reaction score
Problem is, harvested where? Before Mr. Green Jeans, since you posted this for the world to see, asks make sure you have an answer. Good luck, that is a beauty.

glass eye

Reaction score
Doesn't matter what state it was harvested in. In CA you cannot sell elk, deer, antelope mounts. I asked a GW once about selling a whitetail mount since we don't have WT in CA and he would not answer me.

2rocky

Reaction score
Sections: 3039. (a) Except as otherwise provided in this section and Sections 3087 and 4303, or any other provision of this code, or regulations adopted pursuant thereto, it is unlawful to sell or purchase any species of bird or mammal or part thereof found in the wild in California. (b) Products or handicraft items made from furbearing mammals and nongame mammals, their carcass or parts thereof, lawfully taken under the authority of a trapping license, may be purchased or sold at any time. (c) Shed antlers, or antlers taken from domestically reared animals that have been manufactured into products or handicraft items, or that have been cut into blocks or units which are to be handcrafted or manufactured into those articles may be purchased or sold at any time. However, complete antlers, whole heads with antlers, antlers that are mounted for display, or antlers in velvet may not be sold or purchased at any time, except as authorized by Section 3087. (d) Notwithstanding Section 3504, inedible parts of domestically raised game birds may be sold or purchased at any time. (e) Any person who illegally takes any bird or mammal for profit or for personal gain by engaging in any activity authorized by this section is subject to civil liability pursuant to Section 2582.
4303. The skin or hide of any deer lawfully taken may be sold, purchased, tanned, or manufactured into articles for sale. Skins or hides of deer lawfully taken may be donated at any time to veterans’ organizations or veterans’ service committees for use by veterans for rehabilitation purposes.
https://estatesales.org/university/guide-to-selling-taxidermy-at-estate-sales-and-auctions%C2