6 replies to this topic

#1 DOG ON POINT

DOG ON POINT

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2964 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 05:14 PM

Question; so my girl is 13 & just got her license. We have our 1st hog hunt next week and she's shooting the 243. Basically, she loves the bow but only shooting 30lbs, loves shooting squirrels and rabbit with 22. She's hesitant with the 410 & 20 gauge. .. I don't want her to become gun shy etc and know she'll grow into the shotguns etc.just looking for any advice not to mess her up :-) she's been hunting with me since she was 4.
Thanks for any input.

#2 Skeet

Skeet

buck feaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8945 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 07:51 PM

My daughter 15 now loves the 243 and 22 but hates the shotguns as well. Finally have her shooting the 410 at trap again. It's a slippery slope I tell you

I came in this world with nothing and thankfully still have most of it left

I'm not lost I'm just scouting

Brutus the best friend a man could ever have dreamed of. You will be missed more than I can describe. Until we meet again in those happy hunting grounds rest in peace 4/23/96 - 10/05/09

B dog 04/03/2004-12/12/2016
I like big ducks and I cannot lie!!!!

#3 Zach

Zach

Comedian in training, at least on the internet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2988 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 01:41 PM

I had both my daughters shooting with a shoulder pad to releive the recoil.  That really helped as they started out.  When she gets her first pig, probably won't even feel anything with the adreneline.  

#4 [email protected]

[email protected]

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Interests:Exploring the wild places. Tracking.

Posted 28 July 2019 - 08:57 AM

If you asked me, I would say emphasize perfect form in your practice sessions and let her take only maybe one shot for every half dozen or more you take to demonstrate good form.

Snug into the shoulder, leaning into it just a little bit, COMPLETLY relaxed for a surprise trigger break while maintaining relaxed, firm shoulder contact, end by trapping the trigger as follow thru. When it's her turn don't let her notice that you put no round in the weapon and watch her form as she gets trigger break with no cartridge. You and she will be able to tell if she's relaxed and flinching or not. When she gets tired of you hogging the gun, then you'll know she's ok. Keep sessions short and sweet.

A toast, to Dr. Frank C. Hibben, Wherever you are out there in the ethers, Happy hunting. Happy hunting.

#5 fish dog

fish dog

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5305 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (I think), Fishing, Camping, Photography

Posted 28 July 2019 - 10:21 AM

Maybe something like this would help, at least until she got used to the shotgun or grows a little more...

https://www.amazon.c...d/dp/B001C5XOJQ

Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you. -- Gen.9:3

#6 Modoc

Modoc

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting Sports, Bicycling

Posted 29 July 2019 - 09:55 PM

Some observations from an instructor who's worked with youth, Boy Scouts, and Ladies;

1. The shotgun fit is critical, too long or too short and she’ll beat herself up with it.
2. Gas guns will soak up recoil better than single shots or pumps. I don’t have any experience with the Benelli system, just Remington and Winchester/Browning.
3. Past shields and Pachmayer Deceleratior recoil pads are very good. Kick-eez recoil pads are nice and soft, but wear out too fast.
4. Look for Winchester low noise/low recoil loads, the may cost more, but for a novice can help.

I’m glad to hear that she’s out and hunting with you, these times are great and you will cherish them.

#7 One Track

One Track

Guide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1477 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 02:06 PM

I raised two daughters and they both started dove hunting at 8 years old, if I  remember the legal minimum age correctly. The first trip to the range was not fun. Even a youth model 20ga will hurt.  A female shooting instructor brought me a Limbsaver Butt Pad.  We tried that, and my girls never complained again. They were shooting .243 at 10 yrs for deer in AZ.  And, at 12 years old, they shot elk with a .270 and a 30.06, with no complaints. Now at 17 and 20, they shoot 12 ga. for ducks.  We still use the butt pad. They love it.   And, they still  require lots of snacks and hot chocolate in the blind. 

That Limbsaver butt pad is the real deal. $40 I think.  Worth every penny.

I saw a lynx at Tejon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users