8 replies to this topic

#1 shadowlawnskysthelimit

shadowlawnskysthelimit

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:15 PM

I was talking to a guy at my Union meeting; he stated that in May of this year CAL DFG raised the size limits for Calicos from 14" to 16". I have looked online but don't see anything regarding changes. 

Maybe the guy didn't know what the hell he was talking about ??

You guys/gals no any different ??

We have always had a rule going back to when 12" was legal that the fish had to be 14" to keep. Since the change to 14" legal Calico was implemented, fish now have to be 16" to keep. Most of the fish we catch we release, but every now and then we keep a few for a bbq.

Thanks !!! 

#2 chessie

chessie

Guide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1594 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:29 AM

Attached File  Calico.png   35.91KB   0 downloads

28.30. KELP BASS, BARRED SAND BASS AND SPOTTED SAND BASS. (a) Minimum size: Fourteen inches total length or ten inches alternate length. ( Limit: Five in any combination of species.

Regs say 14"

https://nrm.dfg.ca.g...D=165608

#3 [email protected]

[email protected]

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Interests:Exploring the wild places. Tracking.

Posted 11 July 2019 - 10:53 AM

And 14 means 14, not 16. ;-)

A toast, to Dr. Frank C. Hibben, Wherever you are out there in the ethers, Happy hunting. Happy hunting.

#4 BOWUNTR

BOWUNTR

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 08:18 PM

16" is a nice bass. I will say, with my limited experience, when they went to 14, the quality improved. Ed F

#5 Cazador Suerte

Cazador Suerte

Lucky Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3010 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 08:24 PM

Did a twilighter the other night and there were 6 “legals” out of about 100 calicos. All released.

#6 [email protected]

[email protected]

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Interests:Exploring the wild places. Tracking.

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:37 PM

Did a twilighter the other night and there were 6 “legals” out of about 100 calicos. All released.

That sucks! That's as bad as fishing off the shoreline.  

A toast, to Dr. Frank C. Hibben, Wherever you are out there in the ethers, Happy hunting. Happy hunting.

#7 Cazador Suerte

Cazador Suerte

Lucky Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3010 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 05:55 PM

Didn’t suck at all. Was super fun getting a bite on every cast. Was only commenting about the size of the fish. Most were “legal” under the old regs.

#8 shadowlawnskysthelimit

shadowlawnskysthelimit

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 07:50 PM

I agree Can Suerte, I love just catching them on plastics ! No live bait, just swimsuits and grubs with a strip of squid. We have been catching a bunch of 12" to 14". Just gotta keep weeding thru them in hopes of hooking a gorilla !

Last time out I got broke off (20lb line), 3 times. The first two could have been due to line being chaffed a bit; but the last was definitely a gorilla. I had just re-tied and was going to take one more cast before calling it a night. After casting out I took up the slack and felt a slight jolt, took up the rest of slack and it was on. I tried to get him headed to the the boat, but he was having none of that . So I hit the trolling motor to pull us away from the rocks, only went a bout 6 feet before the line broke. *#^*# !! It was fun while it lasted though !!! 

#9 Skeet

Skeet

buck feaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8932 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:41 PM

Nothing like pulling on some calico and releasing them back to fight another day. Size limit has improved the fishing I believe but like stated earlier I just like catching calicos and sandies go back.

I came in this world with nothing and thankfully still have most of it left

I'm not lost I'm just scouting

Brutus the best friend a man could ever have dreamed of. You will be missed more than I can describe. Until we meet again in those happy hunting grounds rest in peace 4/23/96 - 10/05/09

B dog 04/03/2004-12/12/2016
I like big ducks and I cannot lie!!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

shasta