Colorado River...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 labowned

labowned

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 01:01 PM

Putting together rig to hunt on the colorado river. 14 foot Jon boat. What size engine? Would a 2.5 hp push me upstream?

#2 Skeet

Skeet

buck feaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8928 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 02:21 PM

Your going to want a bigger moter for sure used to fish the river with same set up and a 6hp and it worked but was slow going

I came in this world with nothing and thankfully still have most of it left

I'm not lost I'm just scouting

Brutus the best friend a man could ever have dreamed of. You will be missed more than I can describe. Until we meet again in those happy hunting grounds rest in peace 4/23/96 - 10/05/09

B dog 04/03/2004-12/12/2016
I like big ducks and I cannot lie!!!!

#3 nicapopolis

nicapopolis

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6923 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 03:39 PM

I would even consider a 10 horse to small with current and winter weather conditions. Bigger motors can get you out of bad situations faster

#4 Mud Pigeon

Mud Pigeon

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 07:51 AM

I would even consider a 10 horse to small with current and winter weather conditions. Bigger motors can get you out of bad situations faster

10HP won't even launch your partner out of the boat when you hit a sandbar in the dark.

#5 Limited Out

Limited Out

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 10:46 AM

I have a Honda 24hp longtail motor on my 16 ft. boat. 18 mph with a good prop, tops! This thing feels super slow to me especially when I am headed for a spot to set up 7-8 miles away. I guess if you have the time, no wind, and are not going long distances you might get by with that 2 1/2 hp. You need ideal conditions to make that combo work. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users