23 replies to this topic

#1 Roux Meraux

Roux Meraux

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 11:04 AM

A couple of years ago when DFG started the Share hunts as a fund raiser, I was happy to put in for it. But last year, I called DFG to ask where the extra tags came from. The tags are not extra. DFG takes away from yearly "Public" quota and assigns them to the fund raiser. A typical California type approach. You might say not a big deal where A-Zone deer tags are 65K and are never filled. What about elk? For example, Northwestern elk hunt 483 either sex in 2015 was a quota of 30. In 2016 DFG divided that zone into two hunts 483 either sex quota 3 and 355 bull quota 15. What happened to the other 12 tags. Those tags went to the fund raiser. 10 bull, 20 anterless, and 3 jr total Share tags in 2015.

Now in 2019 there are 21 bull, 45 antlerless, and 6 jr hunts in the Share program. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to identify where those tags come from. They keep taking from the public and selling the tags to Share.

I am sure others have noticed this, not sure what can be done. But I will not put in for any Share Hunts ever again. They are selling what should have been public anyway.

Thanks for reading.

Roux Meraux

#2 El Maton

El Maton

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2665 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 11:27 AM

I am not surprised one bit...but this is typical Comifornia type sh!t

#3 JNDEER

JNDEER

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3731 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 05:45 PM

Interesting. Had no idea, thanks for posting that up.

#4 Roux Meraux

Roux Meraux

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 12:01 AM

Think about it. The biologist decides how many elk can be taken for the year. The elk taken would not negatively affect the herd population. the idea is a healthy sustainable herd. This year 2019 there are 311 tags for the public and 72 offered in the Share program for a total of 383 available tags. Imagine that... DFG is taking nearly 20% of the public tags for use in THEIR fund raising program. One out of every five elk go toward the Share program. What a crock!!!

#5 2rocky

2rocky

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2124 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 08:01 AM

WELL....

The SHARE program takes PRIVATE land and makes it available to the PUBLIC to have a chance to hunt. You aren't factoring in the Landowner tags that are available for the landowner to sell at the Market value.  In fact there are more elk tags available to the public now than 10 years ago.  

Unless you would rather have the landowner sell those tags to the highest bidder?

What have you done lately to help the tag situation?    

An error occurred

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

#6 hatchet1

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13363 posts
  • Interests:Clowning fatboy & his offspring!!!

Posted 01 June 2019 - 10:53 AM

I hate the share programs..damn kids always snaking the tags i should be drawing..uggh!!

Attached Files

"REMINDING CALIFORNIANS THAT "MAN" IS THE ULTIMATE PREDATOR..NOT SILLY MOUNTAIN LIONS....."

" in memory of cecil the lion & P-32..never forget"

#7 Roux Meraux

Roux Meraux

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 12:18 PM

There were 334 elk tags in 2015 up for public draw. In 2019 there are 311 elk tags for public draw. Minus 23 for people like me... Joe Public.

2015 there were 33 elk tags in Share program. In 2019 there are 72 tags in the Share program. Plus 29 for the Share program.

Not sure the increase of Share tags are through land owner generosity.

#8 Roux Meraux

Roux Meraux

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 12:44 PM

Look I get it... Fish and Game think have to do something to raise funds. 5 years ago or so the excess DFG funds (millions) were rolled into the general fund and DFG gets shorted in budget every year. Part of the recovery is the offer Share hunts as a fund raiser. If the elk tags were just land owner tags I would be for it, but obviously DFG takes tags from the public. it screws John Q Public. "Don't piss down my back and tell me its raining- senator" Outlaw Josey Wales.

#9 Spanky

Spanky

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 02:55 PM

We need to funnel those F&W funds to the homeless pissing and crapping in the streets of Gavin Newsome's former city!

#10 Roux Meraux

Roux Meraux

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 04:50 PM

Just to follow up I wrote to the director (Bonham) complaining about the number of tags given to the Share program.

#11 BOWUNTR

BOWUNTR

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4031 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:14 AM

Most states do something similar. I would focus more on where these funds are going? Is the share program working on helping wildlife and creating more opportunities for everyone else orrrrr.... funding a dysfunctional F&G Department???? Ed F

#12 socal duckie

socal duckie

2014 will be the year!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14199 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 06:01 AM

Speaking of SHARE tags.... when are they available to put in for?

STAND UP FOR WHAT YOU BELIEVE IN! DON'T JUST TALK THE TALK....DO SOMETHING!

#13 2rocky

2rocky

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2124 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 07:54 AM

They were at the bottom of the hunt application page.  Deadline was June 2

https://www.wildlife...om-drawing-tags

An error occurred

#14 2rocky

2rocky

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2124 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 07:58 AM

Here is a link to the enrollment form for the PRIVATE LANDOWNER to be a part of the program.

https://nrm.dfg.ca.g...ocumentID=83089 

An error occurred

#15 2rocky

2rocky

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2124 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 07:59 AM

The SHARE Program is designed to improve public access to private or landlocked public land. Participating landowners will be compensated with monetary payment and liability protection for providing access to or through their land for recreational use and enjoyment of wildlife. SHARE is funded with SHARE Access Permit Application fees.

An error occurred

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users