5 replies to this topic

#1 Hunt'EmUp

Hunt'EmUp

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 05:35 PM

Got this in my inbox today, seems they are at least working allowing some sort've birds to be moved in to Riverside/San Bernardino county. Thought other members of different clubs, who are also effected might want to show their support, or at least keep updated on this quarantine. Contact is Danette Weich ([email protected])

Hi all,

I am writing to this group regarding the use of birds at Prado Regional Dog Park during the quarantine for virulent Newcastle disease in poultry. The use of all birds at Prado Dog Park falls within the confines of this quarantine.

I have been in repeated contact with the state veterinary office and the CDFA permitting office and have discussed our use of birds in dog events with them. I have been verbally told several times that the use of DEAD BIRDS only is permitted and actually does not require a permit from their office. However, I am still working on getting that statement in writing. As of late this afternoon, the written statement task has been turned back over to the state veterinarian by the permitting office and should be forthcoming. I was not given a date for the written statement, so will keep in contact with the state veterinary office until I get something in writing that I can share with all interested clubs. I am sorry that the clubs holding events in April had to change venues as no answer was forthcoming in time for those events.

I do know that while the quarantine is in effect, and there is no way to determine the length of the quarantine, NO live birds will be allowed at events. We have also been discussing how the dead birds will be disposed of after use in the dog events. Our primary discussions on this matter have led me to believe that the practice of allowing club members to take used dead birds home, refreeze and use for training will not be allowed. Other stipulations may also be required.

I am representing the following clubs: 
Golden Retriever Club of Greater Los Angeles
Golden Retriever Club of America
Labrador Retriever Club of Southern Ca
Great Western Flatcoated Retriever Club
Inland Valley Retriever Club
Prado Basin Hunting Retriever Club

Please let me know if you or your club wants to continue to pursue this or you would prefer to be off this mailing list. If you know of other clubs that plan to hold gun dog events in the quarantine area and are interested in the current regulations please have them contact me.

For information on the quarantine for vND and the quarantine map   https://www.cdfa.ca....sease_Info.html

Sincerely,
Danette Weich DVM

Edited by Hunt'EmUp, 01 April 2019 - 05:36 PM.

#2 DKScott

DKScott

EWB

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14988 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:50 AM

Thanks for posting this.

Man, this is really going to screw up a lot of spring testing and training plans. Hope the quarantine doesn't last long.

"One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am - a reluctant enthusiast....a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it's still here. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, the lovely, mysterious, and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much; I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those desk-bound men and women with their hearts in a safe deposit box, and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this; You will outlive the bastards."
― Edward Abbey

#3 Hunt'EmUp

Hunt'EmUp

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 09:24 AM

My understanding is if the birds are already in the quarantine area, your fine. It's moving them in and out that's the problem. Thus we have had to move 2 of our test to Raney Ranch, Santa Ysabel; out of the affected counties. I heard there's ~150 chukar in the country from a test that didn't take place, I might have to see about purchasing some of them to get us through our May test. After that we are pretty screwed, until the Quarantine is lifted. Rumor is it's in place for 90 days at least, started late last month.

Edited by Hunt'EmUp, 02 April 2019 - 09:27 AM.

#4 action7phil

action7phil

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 07:46 AM

I really hope they lift the quarantine soon. Sucks that's we had to move events to Raney Ranch.

#5 DKScott

DKScott

EWB

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14988 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 08:11 AM

NAVHDA had to move their spring NA test at the last minute as well and cancel the Utility test.  I can't imagine how those guys felt.

The interesting thing is that most of Prado (dog training area) is in San Bernardino County. The road through the camping area is (to my eye) roughly the county line. Everything south is Riverside County.

"One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am - a reluctant enthusiast....a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it's still here. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, the lovely, mysterious, and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much; I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those desk-bound men and women with their hearts in a safe deposit box, and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this; You will outlive the bastards."
― Edward Abbey

#6 Hunt'EmUp

Hunt'EmUp

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:49 PM

http://www.cdfa.ca.g...equirements.pdf

The long and short of transporting birds, sort've like reading latin but some movement does require permit other does not.

Edited by Hunt'EmUp, 11 April 2019 - 08:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users