Photo

Legalizing Gold Dredging in Calif . Again ?!?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bigolwiggler

Bigolwiggler

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 08:14 AM

Its hard to believe ( because its California ) but they may legalize suction dredging in Calif once again .

It was banned in 2009.
I for one am excited as this is one of my hobbies besides killing and eating stuff.

Here is some interesting and informative reading .

https://www.icmj.com....-in-2019-3828/

then , for this NEXT article , scroll down to "California suction dredging 2019" section.

https://www.american....ging-for-2019/

BOW

#2 Ducky's Dad

Ducky's Dad

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 09:02 AM

I thought the only suction dredging in California was from the tax authorities draining our bank accounts.

#3 popx5

popx5

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1364 posts
  • Interests:Hunting Fishing Wood Working Camping Hiking Dog Training

Posted 07 March 2019 - 05:16 PM

In 1981 - 82, I helped a guy run a dredge on the feather river, near Paxton. Did a little panning as well. Fun stuff. I’m sure with the recent rains the las few years up there that it could be good... real good.

#4 Bigolwiggler

Bigolwiggler

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 06:37 AM

I tell you Popx5.... there really is something to "gold fever" .  I caught it back in the late 80's and still have it .

Yes , the past big rains will help.  Of course we will always look for that spot where no one has ever worked and hope to hit bed rock.

I dredged the Feather River also below Paxton , near Virgilia. It was a very productive area . I mostly found fine gold but plenty of it.

In the past several weeks , my friend and I have picked up  two  , 20 acre gold claims.  There are some claims around that people have "let go" because of current California laws. ( You have to file paperwork yearly to keep a claim active. )   We are thinking about getting one or two more claims as bargaining tools if we can find them. We want to get in before the "gold rush".

I hope that this legalization pans out . It could be an extra fun summer.

BOW

#5 API

API

My Indian name is "Runs with Beer"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7733 posts
  • Interests:What?

Posted 11 March 2019 - 08:15 PM

About 30 or 40 years ago, my fil (who is a mining engineer, South Dakota School of Mines) did quite a bit of dry placer mining in the Mojave Desert.  For sure there is gold out there to be found.

I'll remember that jab next time you are sailing birds a quarter mile away in all directions with your 150 yard volleys you dogless savage.

"I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa ― not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car". Wil Shriner

"It's okay to take your meds with beer." - Ray Kelly

#6 Nimrod

Nimrod

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1032 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:30 AM

I ran across a gold prospecting video series on youtube about 2 weeks ago. I watched the first one and couldn't stop watching! I have yet to put a foot in a river or a shovel in the dirt but I am learning a lot. With all the rain, seems like it might be a good year to be starting. I've been getting pretty geeked up about it! Even bought a couple of pans off amazon. Not gonna quit my day job though...

Cush was the father of Nimrod, who grew to be a mighty warrior on the earth. He was a mighty hunter before the LORD; that is why it is said,"like Nimrod, a mighty hunter before the LORD." ....................... -Genesis 10:8-9

#7 Bigolwiggler

Bigolwiggler

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 06:55 AM

I ran across a gold prospecting video series on youtube about 2 weeks ago. I watched the first one and couldn't stop watching! I have yet to put a foot in a river or a shovel in the dirt but I am learning a lot. With all the rain, seems like it might be a good year to be starting. I've been getting pretty geeked up about it! Even bought a couple of pans off amazon. Not gonna quit my day job though...

I started with a pan and a homemade wooden sluice box ( which was a bit heavy to carry around : )   

Its  fun hobby especially after your first bonafide nugget find.    

I cant recommend enough to find a descent sluice box.  It cuts the time consuming panning down by about 90 %

Have fun !!

BOW

#8 SCREWLOOSE

SCREWLOOSE

Guide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1863 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:39 PM

Makes me want to buy another detector.

Swinging for gold is a good way to spend a morning.
Fins for breakfast, Feathers for lunch and Fur for dinner. A well balanced diet...

You are not raising a BOY, you are raising a MAN. DO NOT let society tell you otherwise!!!

A co-worked asked why I wanted to kill a deer. I said "because they won't stay on the BBQ if I don't kill them first"

Patience is the Virtue that carry's a lot of wait.

PROUDLY SENT TO THE BANNED CAMP BY THE Captain Kangaroo!

#9 Bigolwiggler

Bigolwiggler

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 07:00 AM

I have been checking in with a guy who detects here . He has been finding some impressive amounts . The sure make some nice gold specific machines these days !

#10 BOWUNTR

BOWUNTR

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4031 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 06:05 AM

I like to watch Gold Rush... I hope they bring Tom Hoffman back. Ed F

#11 popx5

popx5

Sportsman

• Members