• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 outdoorplay

outdoorplay

Founder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16066 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 10:12 PM

ok Have to break this up into sections as I will be adding to it as this trip is happing I left last Friday so I will have to do some catch-up

as you guy know I mostly write by talking to text, So please forgive me if there is a word that is the right word but obviously the wrong spelling. if I do not have the ability to know the difference between a properly wrong spelled word.

This blog is going to be about our adventures going across the United States down the 10 and then back across the United States on the 40 and making some good zigzags and just having a great time along the way.

My son is a type 1 diabetic he is100% dependent on insulin he's a very active young man and so we are going to have one heck of an adventure showing other diabetic kids that they don't have to play it safe and sit at home and they can be like a normal kid without the complications of diabetics. We are going to do quite the opposite, doing the extreme downhill mountain biking and trail riding, snowboarding/skiing, Freshwater fishing and giant tuna fishing in NC, hiking and some pretty remote places all the while managing his diabetes and keeping him safe.

My wife who still works can't afford to take 6 weeks off of work, so why me and Mikey are driving across the United States and making our stops having our little adventures she will be flying in on the weekends for our big ones like Mardi Gras and New Orleans, North Carolina to see Kitty Hawk location of the first fight, we will be doing all of the Washington, NYC, going to play, The Monuments all the way up until we get to Boston for st. Patrick's Day, Then mom will be going back home and Mikey and I will start our Venture back up, this adventure will be primarily downhill mountain biking, trail riding, snow skiing and snowboarding hope you like our adventure.

First, this trip started off and we wanted to go somewhere exciting for Saint Patrick's Day, so we looked up the number one spot in the nation or Saint Patrick's day and it turns out that that would be in Boston. Living in Southern California we knew that that is a long run and we were just going to fly visit some friends on the east coast and my daughter that is in the Navy at Norfolk Virginia. Looking at all of the travel that we would have to do, we thought it would be best to rent an RV. This way we can move about as we pleased and stay as long or move on as fast as we wanted the trip was going to be plan for 10 days then after looking into the expense of renting an RV and comparing that to staying in hotels and eating most of all of our meals out renting an RV was definitely a better choice for us.

We also had another big trip planned in the summertime that we were thinking of renting an RV for as well this would be a 6-week trip and after evaluating the price of renting an RV or staying in hotels we very soon figured out that we could afford to buy a used 5th wheel.

the process what's not so easy as we have not been in an RV Market in a long time we have had motorhomes and we have had trailers so we are experienced and traveling and camping in RVs.

we settled in on a 31-foot stellar eclipse, this would be our first fifth wheel as we have never owned a fifth wheel. we have had bumper pull trailers and motorhomes.

If you're looking to get a fifth wheel you will find out very quickly that the total length of the trailer is bigger than what they say it is. For instance, ours is from butt to nose 34 ft, apparently in the manufacturing of fifth wheels they only count the towable size the part that hangs over the bed of your truck does not count good to know when you have storage on the side of your house and the trailer is 6 in longer than your available space....

My wife and I both have very different ideas on what kind of layout that we wanted the only thing we really agreed on is that we both wanted a fifth-wheel and we both wanted a toy hauler.

One of the things that we did is we made a list of the new units that we considered with the layouts that we really liked after coming to the conclusion that the new ones were no better than buying a used one seeing how majority of them all we're having problems with the manufacturing and warranty issue,......... so we started looking at new used at about 1/3 of the price of a new one we already knew the layouts that we liked so we started looking at used ones and made a list of all the ones that fit our criteria and made that list on Google Docs, so as I found them I could post them and as my wife found them she could post them, each time we did this we will use a star system one out of five whenever we had a five the other person would look at it and see how they ranked it. Only the ones that ranked as a five are the ones we would consider looking at, As I stated above we ended up settling on a 2010 Stellar Eclipse as they were one of the most well-built trailers on the market and they are fully insulated with Styrofoam in all the walls and roof.

We figured by that time any of the issues that they may have had would have already have been fixed. The person who had this one took very good care of it. Almost looks brand-new and the fact a lot of our friends couldn't believe that it was not new and 10 years old, it blew their mind.

well looks like I cant post a picture at this location will try when I move, but I will when I have better service so you all can see my trailer home.  

it is my intent to do what is best for TOF, my bed side manners suck and for that I am sorry.
I am blunt and to the point and I do not have the ability to sugar coat it to save your fillings, So really if I tell you stop pissing on the carpet, just knock it off, man up and don't puff up carry on like soap opera. the rules here are really light so man up.

Some have asked way do you put up with all the crap some put me through. and this is it
I am tired of big business just taking form us outdoorsmen. most of the product is defective and does not work as stated. bottom line if there product sucks I want ever outdoorsmen to know about.

All I ask is support those that support you, this place is about real unpaid information, its real outdoorsmen not paid to say something outdoorsmen.........

#2 [email protected]

[email protected]

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Interests:Exploring the wild places. Tracking.

Posted 01 March 2019 - 10:28 PM

Have a great trip! Keep posting!

A toast, to Dr. Frank C. Hibben, Wherever you are out there in the ethers, Happy hunting. Happy hunting.

#3 outdoorplay

outdoorplay

Founder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16066 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 10:53 PM

First stop is Vegas, pulling in Friday and leaving Sunday after dropping Kim off  at the airport.

Well we made it to Vegas in one peace and I can not say how much I loved towing the 5th wheel, this was the first time I have ever really towed a 5th wheel and I can't believe I waited so long to buy one. I can tell you this after towing tong trailers since I was 15 (I know not legally but dad was tied and he thought that was a good time for me learn, things were way different back in those days) and I can honestly say there is no comparing the two. A 5th wheel tows 100% better than a tong and I will never own a bumper pull.

Ok back to Vegas after our first night on in the trailer, Loved it. Got a great night sleep and I should add the first thing we bought was new beds, we bought those pop up bed that they sell a Casco. They are the best and the best thing you can add to your RV.

Ok day one time to go biking, we looked up some places to ride and we stopped at 2 bike parks that where both closed, most likely because of the weather has been bad and they're wet. But the good news is we found a place to do some downhill Mountain Biking. I was bummed because I thought were were going to dirt jumper tracks and my old butt just does not do that.

So I did not bring my bike for downhilling, so Mikey gotta go downhill mountain biking At a place called Bootleg canyon, Mikey had a blast, we're going to definitely have to hit that again,  Okay off to Arizona

Arizona was great got to stop in to see my sister Cindy and build a patio cover for her done in one day.

Now off to our next stop New Mexico, driving down the 10 it's nice and flat not a whole lot of hills speed limit 75 I'm just cruising at 70. Did 410 miles and pulled into Hacienda RV & Rally Resort Las Cruces, NM. It was a very nice park and had a great dog free run section that you could section off if you had a dog that was not friendly with others, Medic course Aaliyah never would have that problem as she is very dog friendly and very well polite and mannered well we work on it every day so she is coming along way for her young seven months but she does have a very big job at ham and this is only the beginning process of her education. New Mexico was just an overnight stay as our biggest leg was still to come.

it is my intent to do what is best for TOF, my bed side manners suck and for that I am sorry.
I am blunt and to the point and I do not have the ability to sugar coat it to save your fillings, So really if I tell you stop pissing on the carpet, just knock it off, man up and don't puff up carry on like soap opera. the rules here are really light so man up.

Some have asked way do you put up with all the crap some put me through. and this is it
I am tired of big business just taking form us outdoorsmen. most of the product is defective and does not work as stated. bottom line if there product sucks I want ever outdoorsmen to know about.

All I ask is support those that support you, this place is about real unpaid information, its real outdoorsmen not paid to say something outdoorsmen.........

#4 hatchet1

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13363 posts
  • Interests:Clowning fatboy & his offspring!!!

Posted 02 March 2019 - 06:25 AM

Mike ,following this post..good stuff brother!!! Living the dream!

"REMINDING CALIFORNIANS THAT "MAN" IS THE ULTIMATE PREDATOR..NOT SILLY MOUNTAIN LIONS....."

" in memory of cecil the lion & P-32..never forget"

#5 Hogskin

Hogskin

My style is impetuous, my defenses impregnable.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3623 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 09:20 AM

:smiley_kewlpics:

Good lookin' people, they got no spine.

In 1999 I was duped by Y2K, I thought the world was coming to an end and I spent well over a decade ingesting copious amounts of ayahuasca daily to prepare for the inevitable apocalypse which, to my genuine surprise, never arrived.

#6 GUNDOGLOVER

GUNDOGLOVER

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3668 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping and a beer now and now

Posted 02 March 2019 - 12:56 PM

And here I thought you were just going back east chasing large BFT. Sounds like you guys are having a great time.

#7 outdoorplay

outdoorplay

Founder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16066 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 02:18 PM

sitting in New Orlands now, getting ready to get my Mardi Gras on 

#8 outdoorplay

outdoorplay

Founder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16066 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 02:19 PM

can't wait till they get the Pic thing figured out 

#9 Skeet

Skeet

buck feaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8958 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 03:45 PM

Thanks for sharing have fun

I came in this world with nothing and thankfully still have most of it left

I'm not lost I'm just scouting

Brutus the best friend a man could ever have dreamed of. You will be missed more than I can describe. Until we meet again in those happy hunting grounds rest in peace 4/23/96 - 10/05/09

B dog 04/03/2004-12/12/2016
I like big ducks and I cannot lie!!!!

#10 GUNDOGLOVER

GUNDOGLOVER

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3668 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 10:24 AM

While in N.O. watch out for impaired drivers.

#11 shadowlawnskysthelimit

shadowlawnskysthelimit

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 06:38 PM

ODP, you and your family ok?? Just reading about a driver killing a couple of people at the Mardi Gras. 

#12 outdoorplay

outdoorplay

Founder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16066 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 07:41 PM

ya we are good thanks for asking,

it was a great day we walked downtown and watch some parades, got to the truck just as it started to rain hard, got some good food, put mama on a plain, watching a movie and moving out in the morning, 

#13 outdoorplay

outdoorplay

Founder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16066 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 04:52 PM

we are they driving through Mississippi and Alabama nice ride roads are good not a lot of hills just rolling hills. To camp, setup was freezing, so afterward I went inside and watching a movie
Gunter Hill campground is in Alabama it is a federal facility, so for a type 1 diabetics the normal full hookups is $26, but by being a type 1 diabetic and getting registered with the feds it's only $13 bucks. It was a very nice place and we will be back.

This is the kind of place you'd want to spend at least a week at, the lake is beautiful the campsites are huge, you don't have campers on top of you. 

Sesquicentennial Columbia, SC Public Campgrounds $27 for full hookups, This is also one of those campgrounds you would want to spend a minimum of a week at. It has a nice Lake and lots of mountain biking, can't wait to come back and explore this place a lot.

Ok dad's favorite stop is finally here, NC the Outer Banks. We made it to your campground The Refuge on Roanoke Island. The campgrounds that's is right on the Harbor, beautiful views and close to the charter boats.

All of the Wicked Tuna Fisherman's that are on the show where at least in port, We spend our first day just sightseeing and trying to find all the Wicked Tuna boats we could only find one that was on his boat was, Tyler on the Pin Wheel.

After the sightseeing, we headed over to the boat that we chartered for Friday. the boat name was the Sushi https://www.outerban...ortfishing/655/ This is one of the most beautiful charter boats that I have ever been on in my life. Our boat captain Charlie was amazing going the extra mile all the time to make sure this trip come together we ended up with 9 yellowfin tuna and on big boy that brock the rigging, (we don't know how big, but its was bigging) The 9 tuna would come  to 252 pounds of fillets.

Next stop would be my daughter's house and Emily's in Virginia Beach. Had a great time visiting with her roommate and all of their dogs, sure do miss my baby girl.

Our next stop would be the see a good friend of mine Brian Larry Who is the property manager for Talisman Plantation And Maryland We only have the time to spend a few hours touring the plantation but what an amazing piece of property the amount of game Deer geese well ducks 2 nesting bald eagles just an absolute place of beauty.

Her next stop would be DC which is where we are currently at now taking in all the views of the state capitol and all the monuments left by our forefathers is a great Historical learning opportunity

Attached Files

#14 GUNDOGLOVER

GUNDOGLOVER

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3668 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 05:14 PM

Sound like guys are having a great trip. The part of the country has a lot to see and do. It's been a long time since I was back there but I have a lot of good memories from there. Keep up the good times and take care.

#15 Skeet

Skeet

buck feaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8958 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:10 PM

Thanks for sharing your trip

I came in this world with nothing and thankfully still have most of it left

I'm not lost I'm just scouting

Brutus the best friend a man could ever have dreamed of. You will be missed more than I can describe. Until we meet again in those happy hunting grounds rest in peace 4/23/96 - 10/05/09

B dog 04/03/2004-12/12/2016
I like big ducks and I cannot lie!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users