• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 hatchet1

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13334 posts
  • Interests:Clowning fatboy & his offspring!!!

Posted 13 December 2018 - 11:31 AM

It's been 11 years since I've gone threw this stuff...any tips from you doggers on deterring your pup from craping and peeing in the house? Ahhh..just when I got the boys trained to finally lift the seat up too....good lord..what have I done...

"REMINDING CALIFORNIANS THAT "MAN" IS THE ULTIMATE PREDATOR..NOT SILLY MOUNTAIN LIONS....."

" in memory of cecil the lion & P-32..never forget"

#2 duck-boy

duck-boy

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2055 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping, the outdoors, photography

Posted 13 December 2018 - 12:12 PM

Lol, good luck. That's why I keep mine outside...

#3 GUNDOGLOVER

GUNDOGLOVER

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3636 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping and a beer now and now

Posted 13 December 2018 - 12:15 PM

I found the best method is to take them out a lot, especially after they eat. This requires taking them out in the middle of the night. Of course this only applies to the smart breeds of dogs, good luck.

#4 hatchet1

hatchet1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13334 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 12:16 PM

Never happen with mama...and with lloyd as a mentor.. well ..nuff said

"REMINDING CALIFORNIANS THAT "MAN" IS THE ULTIMATE PREDATOR..NOT SILLY MOUNTAIN LIONS....."

#5 hatchet1

hatchet1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13334 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 12:41 PM

Lloyd has barfed in the house a few times over the years..never once shat or pee,d
..hoping the same for moose..

#6 DKScott

DKScott

EWB

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14992 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 01:33 PM

Yeah take him out a lot, especially after eating, in the morning, before bed, etc. wait till he does his business and then praise and make a fuss over him and take him back inside. Use crate training to get through the night. They generally won't crap in their crate unless its too big - if it is block of the back with some cardboard to make it smaller.  Or just bunk the little craphund with the three headed monster and make it their problem...

Also watch Lloyd - he may start marking in the house because he's got to show the new kid whose territory it is. Then the pup will ague the point the same way. A vicious cycle ensues.

"One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am - a reluctant enthusiast....a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it's still here. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, the lovely, mysterious, and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much; I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those desk-bound men and women with their hearts in a safe deposit box, and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this; You will outlive the bastards."
― Edward Abbey

#7 nicapopolis

nicapopolis

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6926 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 04:44 PM

Yeah take him out a lot, especially after eating, in the morning, before bed, etc. wait till he does his business and then praise and make a fuss over him and take him back inside. Use crate training to get through the night. They generally won't crap in their crate unless its too big - if it is block of the back with some cardboard to make it smaller. Or just bunk the little craphund with the three headed monster and make it their problem...

Also watch Lloyd - he may start marking in the house because he's got to show the new kid whose territory it is. Then the pup will ague the point the same way. A vicious cycle ensues.

Spot on. Outside a lot, crate at night.

#8 Mrfish

Mrfish

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 07:11 PM

DK is spot on.  Thats what I have done.  High praise when they do go outside so they realize its a good thing, and what they are supposed to do.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." - General James Mattis

#9 GUNDOGLOVER

GUNDOGLOVER

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3636 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping and a beer now and now

Posted 15 December 2018 - 02:00 AM

After forty one years my wife finely house broke ME. She calls it domestication.

#10 mjb

mjb

One life don't BLOW IT!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4228 posts
  • Interests:Keeping my freezer full of fur, feathers, fins & shells

Posted 15 December 2018 - 11:12 AM

I'll add when ever they wake up outside they go and a regular routine helps too but that's not in your wheel house

#11 TheGDog

TheGDog

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 02:21 PM

Biggest thing is having a routine schedule whereby you let them outside to do there business. Such as first thing when you wake-up, and within the first 10 minutes after having eaten their food.

When in the home, do they have access to go outside like a doggy-door?

For the Puppy-pads... they have drops you can put on 'em to indicate this is where you WANT them to go at via the scent.

If they go on someplace they are not supposed to... first of all.. you HAVE to catch them red-handed in the act in order to reprimand them about it.  They cannot understand you reprimanding them for something that is already done and completed. Even if it was seconds ago!

And you MUST completely clean away the area they went on in order to prevent them from smelling the prior urine and going there again.

Many folks will crate their dogs during this training because they naturally don't want to piss where they are sleeping and will *try* to hold it if they can.

I never went that route because I worked from home so was right there and able to see if they were looking like they had to go and would encourage them to go out the doogy-door onto the area I setup for them to go at on my backporch when I was in a condo back then.

I would definitely say remove all carpets and rugs up off the floor if you want to discourage them from going in the house. For whatever reason, they seemed to prefer going when standing upon a rug, presumably since it made it less likely that it'd flow over onto their feet?

The Rat Terrier was easy to potty train, she was real smart.  The damn Chihuahua was a total pain in the butt. Presumably since she no doubt had a tiny bladder? But she eventually got it once I removed all rugs off the floor.

And like DK said... ya tell 'em "Go Potty!" and when they do go potty outside... lotsa praise and say "Goood potty!" in that higher pitched praise voice.

But yeah... ya can't go gettin' pissed at 'em for going potty if your routine doesn't offer them enough regularly scheduled access to outside.

And when they are pups.. ya definitely need to "burn-out" that energy with a lot of outside play time before going down for the night.

If they are VERY problematic... after coming back in from outside, or after a meal... you *may* decide to limit their access to their water bowl to just specific times, like for 10 minutes after eating or after coming back in from outside) in order to more reinforce the schedule you want them to have?  I'd think long and hard before going that route though.

Attached Files

Edited by TheGDog, 17 December 2018 - 02:35 PM.

"None of us was born knowing ANY of this. If someone else can do it, You can TOO!" - TheGDog.
"The wise man can learn from even the fool." - TheGDog

"Life is like a big sh*t sandwich, the more "bread" ya got, the less sh*t ya have to eat." 

#12 El Maton

El Maton

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2665 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 02:48 PM

Put a  catheter on him...hell be fine! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users