7 replies to this topic

#1 2rocky

2rocky

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2084 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 10:53 AM

So "My" Lab is living with my girlfriend in town with neighbors on one side.  One neighbor doesn't like him. Apparently the feeling is mutual.  The dog will run at the fence jump up and bark at him whenever he comes out of his house.  The neighbor has said twice to my gf that  he is gonna "shoot that dog if he comes on his property."  She's pretty upset.

None of the other neighbors have had any problems or said anything.   

The fence is a solid 6 ft board fence.  

The dog is 18 months old.  

The neighbor is an angry old man who has a couple poodles.  I think he has antagonized the dog by yelling at him over the fence.

An error occurred

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

#2 Skeet

Skeet

buck feaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8893 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 11:17 AM

Ya I agree he has had to do something to get the dog riled up towards him.  Only suggestion is to get a electric fence to run on that side of the house to keep him from hitting the real fence even though the other part of me says fu&* the neighbor

I came in this world with nothing and thankfully still have most of it left

I'm not lost I'm just scouting

Brutus the best friend a man could ever have dreamed of. You will be missed more than I can describe. Until we meet again in those happy hunting grounds rest in peace 4/23/96 - 10/05/09

B dog 04/03/2004-12/12/2016
I like big ducks and I cannot lie!!!!

#3 ofdscooby

ofdscooby

Guide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1458 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 01:11 PM

Maybe a game cam to see if he is messing with your dog.

There is such a thing as a "dumb question" use the brain God gave you and try to figure it out you'll be a better person for it and you'll learn more

#4 Ducky's Dad

Ducky's Dad

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 07:43 AM

Some dogs are just goofy about certain things, usually related to something that may have happened before you got the dog.  I had a hound that went nuts whenever a long-haired male approached.  With anyone else he was fine.  Neighbor's dog goes nuts at the sight of bright yellow shirts (like safety Ts), but is fine with the same guy (me) wearing some other shirt.

#5 sdhunter

sdhunter

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3089 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, more hunting, fishing, and thinking about hunting and fishing.

Posted 11 December 2018 - 09:14 AM

If your fence is solid, perhaps a bark collar to minimize the barking when your pooch senses your neighbor??  I've used bark collars on all my dogs, the good thing (in my situation at least), bark collar use only lasted a short time (a few weeks at most) to minimize that behavior.  The only time I use my bark collars now is when my Mother-in-law visits, and I put it on her dog to stop it from barking while they are visiting...

aka as.....Mike

A hunter's best friend.............a black dog, of course!!!

#6 DKScott

DKScott

EWB

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14977 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 03:13 PM

Good suggestions. I would also, if possible, try to broker a peace between the dog and the neighbor. Introduce them, try to get them to be friends. Give the neighbor some treats to give the dog, etc. The dog will look to how you and your GF for clues about how you feel about the neighbor. If there is tension or dislike there, the dog is likely picking up on it, so make nice.

The other side of it is don't ignore threats. You never know if they will be carried out. Some people are real psychos when they think they can get away with it.

An uncle's German Shepard who had similar behaviors was shot in his back yard. Two of my dogs were fed rat poison when I was a kid, one was just a you pup. They took days to die before the vet figured it out.  It was horrible. A friend had a young black lab that used to bark a bit - nothing bad, just puppy stuff. One day it was in a bad state. Turns out a neighbor who had been bitching about the dog had put out some antifreeze. The dog survived but with major kidney damage and is on a special diet for the rest of his life. The neighbor was generally thought to be the culprit, but no proof. I can recall two other poisoning incidents, one was a dog the other was a cat. Neither made it.  Nobody ever gets caught because proof and witnesses are hard to come by. Security cameras may help. Make sure they can be seen and there are no blind spots.

"One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am - a reluctant enthusiast....a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it's still here. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, the lovely, mysterious, and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much; I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those desk-bound men and women with their hearts in a safe deposit box, and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this; You will outlive the bastards."
― Edward Abbey

#7 hatchet1

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13276 posts
  • Interests:Clowning fatboy & his offspring!!!

Posted 11 December 2018 - 07:17 PM

I hate lloyd

"REMINDING CALIFORNIANS THAT "MAN" IS THE ULTIMATE PREDATOR..NOT SILLY MOUNTAIN LIONS....."

" in memory of cecil the lion & P-32..never forget"

#8 just_ducky_1

just_ducky_1

Guide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 06:10 PM

My neighbor was the same way. When he’d get in his trash cans my dog would think he’s banging the fence and coming into our yard. I have three young boys my dog loved. I heard my neighbor yelling at him one day.
One day I had a nasty letter from them saying he barks all the time we aren’t there. A couple times I had the cops called and they just just laughed, rubbed his ears and we talked about hunting.
Although he was a 100+ pound lab and he loved hunting, he was also my guard dog and protected my family when I was deployed or gone training. He was therapy and an open ear for me to talk to. He was a gentle beast and only growled at Andy (lo). he didn’t like y’all people for some reason, FIL included.
I came home from camping at the lake on base to find him dead with blood coming out of his mouth. He was alive 24 hrs before that and seemed in good health for a 10yo lab. My wife wondered if the neighbors poisoned him. I had no time to deal with it because I was leaving the next day.
I sure miss him. Yes, take threats seriously but in short F that guy! Digs are a great sense of character, just because he has digs doesn’t mean his digs like him or he’s a good person.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users