15 replies to this topic

#1 SCREWLOOSE

SCREWLOOSE

Guide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 07:51 PM

I took a girlfriend skiing at Boreal, on the way home we stopped at my parents place to soak in the hot tub left there relaxed and two blocks from home we got creamed by a drunk driver. Totaled my truck, I went flying out during one of the rolls and landed in the gutter. Not totally new to me being in the gutter, I had just got out of the Navy and I was a VERY good Sailor. Anyway, off to UC Davis Med center for a quick exam and then I’d be on my way home. Well, xrays showed a broken neck, C4 and C5. Ended up with a halo and lots of time off. Good thing I did it during duck season, didn’t miss anything important. Attached File  E11BDCBD-ADF7-400C-AFDC-63619AD8503F.jpeg   189.65KB   3 downloads
Fins for breakfast, Feathers for lunch and Fur for dinner. A well balanced diet...

You are not raising a BOY, you are raising a MAN. DO NOT let society tell you otherwise!!!

A co-worked asked why I wanted to kill a deer. I said "because they won't stay on the BBQ if I don't kill them first"

Patience is the Virtue that carry's a lot of wait.

PROUDLY SENT TO THE BANNED CAMP BY THE Captain Kangaroo!

#2 Ducky's Dad

Ducky's Dad

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 08:27 PM

No seat belt?  Just curious.

I was T-boned by a drunk in 1971 and I'm still pissed about it.  

Edited by Ducky's Dad, 03 December 2018 - 08:28 PM.

#3 SCREWLOOSE

SCREWLOOSE

Guide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 08:41 PM

CHP came to the hospital the next day to issue me a ticket for no seatbelt. I was in weighted traction with 100lbs bolted to my head stretching my neck out. My mom was there when the officer arrived and told me about the citation, she pulled my sheet down and asked him what those marks across my chest were from? He said ‘looks like a seatbelt’, the seatbelt anchors ripped loose on the drivers side and the passenger seat where my girlfriend was sitting broke loose putting her in the king cab part of the truck. 83 Datsun/Nissan king cab 4x4 that I had just put a roll bar on the weekend before. I barrel rolled over a car coming at me in the opposite direction. Crushed the roof down on a dudes arm and mangled him up pretty bad.
Fins for breakfast, Feathers for lunch and Fur for dinner. A well balanced diet...

You are not raising a BOY, you are raising a MAN. DO NOT let society tell you otherwise!!!

A co-worked asked why I wanted to kill a deer. I said "because they won't stay on the BBQ if I don't kill them first"

#4 C1g@r5m0k3

C1g@r5m0k3

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Interests:Exploring the wild places. Tracking.

Posted 03 December 2018 - 08:45 PM

My dad also got stuck in a halo after breaking his neck in an accident. No fun for sure. How's the neck 30 years later?

A toast, to Dr. Frank C. Hibben, Wherever you are out there in the ethers, Happy hunting. Happy hunting.

#5 SCREWLOOSE

SCREWLOOSE

Guide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 08:49 PM

Attached File  8346707E-37F5-402D-BCF5-A0C0D64632DF.png   2.05MB   3 downloads

The drunk is the top vehicle.
I’m the middle vehicle and the guy I rolled over is the bottom vehicle. He had a ‘81 Datsun 510 four door. He said he was just cruising around with his right arm on the seat back and a truck was rolling at him. He ducked but didn’t lower his arm off of the seat back.

#6 SCREWLOOSE

SCREWLOOSE

Guide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 08:51 PM

My dad also got stuck in a halo after breaking his neck in an accident. No fun for sure. How's the neck 30 years later?

No real problems to speak of. When it gets cold it get stiff but that’s not too bad.

How’s your dad doing?

#7 C1g@r5m0k3

C1g@r5m0k3

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Interests:Exploring the wild places. Tracking.

Posted 04 December 2018 - 07:15 AM

Glad to hear you fared pretty well over time.

Although he did recover, dads neck was never quite the same, but he was already an older man when the accident occurred. He has since passed on. Ticker gave out.

A toast, to Dr. Frank C. Hibben, Wherever you are out there in the ethers, Happy hunting. Happy hunting.

#8 DKScott

DKScott

EWB

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,955 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:23 AM

Wow. That's an experience I'm glad not to have had. Glad it turned out well. Just curious, was the GF seriously injured?

"One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am - a reluctant enthusiast....a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it's still here. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, the lovely, mysterious, and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much; I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those desk-bound men and women with their hearts in a safe deposit box, and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this; You will outlive the bastards."
― Edward Abbey

#9 GUNDOGLOVER

GUNDOGLOVER

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping and a beer now and now

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:43 AM

I'll bet it's to believe it was thirty years ago. Good thing your  not having any lingering Health issues. Copy that on ducks season.

#10 SCREWLOOSE

SCREWLOOSE

Guide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 02:32 PM

Wow. That's an experience I'm glad not to have had. Glad it turned out well. Just curious, was the GF seriously injured?

She had a lung cuntusion and smacked her knee pretty hard. Between the seat breaking loose and the roll bar she was saved from having the roof collapse on her.

After my laminectomy was completed and I went home to recuperate she cleaned out the screws in my head every day. Taking a sterile swab with iodine and cleaning the screw all the way down to the skull. Very uncomfortable but while in the hospital I had one get infected, that was much worse. Nobody else had the stomach for cleaning that deep. That should have been a warning as to what she was capable of, but I married her anyway. She’s an ex now.

#11 JNDEER

JNDEER

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 05:51 PM

Holy crap G.. that is some crazy stuff. Good thing you and the GF made it out ok.

#12 Arrowslinger

Arrowslinger

Animal lover!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,498 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 08:01 PM

Good god, the halo sends chills through me.

Big game hunter!

#13 SCREWLOOSE

SCREWLOOSE

Guide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:07 PM

Good god, the halo sends chills through me.

I’m ok with the halo, it’s remembering the catheter that gives me chills. Although listening to your skull crack as the Doctor tightens down the screws is no great pleasure. Had one screw replaced without any pain meds, that was blinding pain.

#14 snoopdogg

snoopdogg

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:01 PM

Hence the screen name?
Any day in the outdoors is a damn good day.

#15 SCREWLOOSE

SCREWLOOSE

Guide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:18 PM

Hence the screen name?

Partiallly, as a kid I would do things that made my dad shake his head and tell me I’ve got a screw loose.

While wearing the halo my GF and I were shopping at Best and in the parking lot one of the bolts holding the frame together loosened up. She had to take the wrench taped to my chest and tighten the bolt. The metal on metal of the wrench and the bolt was beyond torture! Felt like I was inside of a jackhammer as it was breaking up some concrete. We went to my parents house to have my dad check out the rest of the hardware and he just deadpanned ‘told you ya have a screwloose’...

That wrench was taped to my chest should I ever be in an accident there would be a way to remove the halo if necessary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users