Photo

HELP : What to pick in Boot Attributes for 40F - 20F temp range.

Boots

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TheGDog

TheGDog

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 12:58 PM

HELP : What to pick in Boot Attributes for 40F - 20F temp range.

My goal is to hunt for coyotes. The region I want to go to is now forecasting low 40's to low 20's. (Also this region can be quite windy at times)

I currently use Salomon 4D Quest GTX Hiking boots, Uninsulated. Together with that I wear Fox River liner socks, inside of Darn Tough Merino Wool socks.

1) Are there sock products which can make my Uninsulated boots do ok in these temps?

2) If not, How many gram insulated rating would you say is minimum required for this temperature range?
(Related Question: What is the warmest temperature range a boot of that insulation rating would be comfortable in, once temps start to go back up? When would it start to feel too hot?)

Thank you for your time.

"None of us was born knowing ANY of this. If someone else can do it, You can TOO!" - TheGDog.
"The wise man can learn from even the fool." - TheGDog

"Life is like a big sh*t sandwich, the more "bread" ya got, the less sh*t ya have to eat." 

#2 hatchet1

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,186 posts
  • Interests:Clowning fatboy & his offspring!!!

Posted 28 November 2018 - 02:28 PM

Those boys use whatever is on sale at walmart..and they shoot alot of stuff..including coyotes..I'd start there..

Attached Files

"REMINDING CALIFORNIANS THAT "MAN" IS THE ULTIMATE PREDATOR..NOT SILLY MOUNTAIN LIONS....."

" in memory of cecil the lion & P-32..never forget"

#3 TheGDog

TheGDog

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 02:56 PM

Well.... during deer season... when I had good enough gear on for everything else to be decently warm enough during my long sits in mid to upper 30's... (though a bit of shivering in the lowest temp parts of it) I noted my feet  and lower legs were a weakpoint. 

So figured I'd ask around and see What's up with that so I don't go wasting money by buying and trying stuff that doesn't work.

Edited by TheGDog, 28 November 2018 - 02:57 PM.

"None of us was born knowing ANY of this. If someone else can do it, You can TOO!" - TheGDog.

"Life is like a big sh*t sandwich, the more "bread" ya got, the less sh*t ya have to eat." 

#4 TheGDog

TheGDog

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 03:01 PM

BTW: When it comes to base layers... they seem to rate them as lightweight, middleweight, and heavyweight.  I'm figuring heavyweight is for colder than I'd probably ever encounter.  So what's the approximate temperature ranges for lightweight and middleweight base layers??

I don't wanna buy something and it end up being soo hot that I never realistically end up wearing it.

Edited by TheGDog, 28 November 2018 - 03:02 PM.

#5 Doublewide

Doublewide

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 03:50 PM

All depends on how active you’ll be and how big o a jacket you want to carry around all day. I hate big jackets. I think for coyote hunting in that temp I would run mid weight base, long sleeve shirt, hoody, light wind proof jacket and good pair of gloves for when I’m calling. But everybody has a difference in comfort. Good thing is the truck won’t be too far away so bring extra gear and find what you like.

#6 nicapopolis

nicapopolis

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,877 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 04:33 PM

Those boots are fine for the temps mentioned. Will there be snow on the ground, or moisture of any kind? If so, wear gaiters and a good merino wool sock for insulation.

You can tape one of those throw away handwarmers to your sock if you really feel like your feet will be cold.

#7 SCREWLOOSE

SCREWLOOSE

Guide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 07:47 PM

The key to keeping your feet warm is blood flow. Don’t tie your boots too tight, don’t wear boots that are snug to begin with and then add thick socks or multiple layers of socks.

20f-40f is not cold enough for insulated boots imo.

Keeping you feet dry is another key. If your feet start to sweat your going to get cold.
Fins for breakfast, Feathers for lunch and Fur for dinner. A well balanced diet...

You are not raising a BOY, you are raising a MAN. DO NOT let society tell you otherwise!!!

A co-worked asked why I wanted to kill a deer. I said "because they won't stay on the BBQ if I don't kill them first"

Patience is the Virtue that carry's a lot of wait.

PROUDLY SENT TO THE BANNED CAMP BY THE Captain Kangaroo!

#8 TheGDog

TheGDog

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 07:49 PM

Hrmm, might be a lil snow on ground with the showers this week. Vegetation not tall out there. More the wind concerning me. It gets to blowing pretty fast sometimes. Will probably have to nestle into the draws that keep ya out of the wind in order to not freeze. But then caller might not reach out very far. Big temp difference when down in the deep draws. Gonna make a mouth hole in fleece+neoprene headgear so can blow calls.

Just ordered some leather 800gram insulated boots n some baselayer bottoms that are middleweight. Figure I'llwait til they arrive before hitup that windy area. The other spot is 50's to mid 30's and seldom very windy at all so think I'm cool there.

#9 Arrowslinger

Arrowslinger

Animal lover!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,498 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 08:41 PM

Yote hunting is all about 15 minute stands and moving on to the next spot. I run the same boots and they work well for your use.

Big game hunter!

#10 Sloth

Sloth

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Interests:Quack quack

Posted 29 November 2018 - 09:02 PM

Muck Boots. Stay away from the steel toe boots. I hunted in January for geese in Montana. 20 was about an average day, I would wear wool socks. On days that it got above freezing I would wear normal socks.

Keep your feet from sweating, if they sweat bring a change of socks in your pack and swap them out. It might be cold as all he11 with you foot out but it will be amazing 10 minutes later.
Why is it called a sweat line if you are freezing @$$ off?

CWA Member

YAT-YAS

#11 TheGDog

TheGDog

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 05:05 PM

Yote hunting is all about 15 minute stands and moving on to the next spot. I run the same boots and they work well for your use.

How far away do you move along to a next spot when you do move? Rough estimate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users