35 replies to this topic

#1 BOWUNTR

BOWUNTR

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 06:40 PM

My daughters drew a late deer hunt in an area I know well. Lots of deer and some good bucks show up during the rut which I believe starts in mid December. I was hoping that some bucks would show up early and hang out with the does. My daughters have never shot a deer or been on a deer hunt. On Saturday we saw over 80 deer but only 3 bucks, 2 were shooters. The first buck we zigged and he zagged. The second buck was a real good one... I spotted at 1000 yards. If I had a spotter we would have killed him. I've limited their shot to 200 or less. We also saw 4 coyotes, 2 herds of javalina and 1 mountain lion...

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.jpg   137.62KB   0 downloads

#2 BOWUNTR

BOWUNTR

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 06:53 PM

On Sunday we headed where we lost the bigger buck. The wind was blowing. We spotted some deer here and there but no bucks. We headed for a glassing point and were almost there when I look to my left and saw a lion sitting on his butt watching us, 75 yards away. I asked my daughter to give me the rifle. I had to look through my binos to make sure I was really seeing what I thought I was seeing. Yep, a lion... I put the crosshairs on his chest and squeezed the trigger. Kaaapowww. The cat ran off.... I thought he would have dropped right there or done some squirming around of something. I've never killed a big game animal with a rifle. No blood, hair or cat...  

Attached Files

• Attached File  2.jpg   473.54KB   2 downloads

#3 BOWUNTR

BOWUNTR

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 06:59 PM

It took me about 30 seconds to figure out what to do... Make a call to the on call houndsman. They were at my truck in 1 hour. We hiked back to my truck and met them there....

Attached Files

• Attached File  3.jpg   196.2KB   1 downloads
  • Attached File  4.jpg   296.88KB   1 downloads

#4 BOWUNTR

BOWUNTR

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 07:05 PM

It was a little over a mile over to where I took the shot. As soon as those hounds got a whiff... it was on. I've heard lions are tough to trail on dry ground, especially in the wind. Not with these dogs. It was amazing to watch. Shortest race I've ever been on, 30 minutes. They were at the top of a rock bluff treeing.

Attached Files

• Attached File  5.jpg   135.51KB   1 downloads

#5 BOWUNTR

BOWUNTR

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 07:20 PM

I walked over to the bluff and thought that the lion jumped off the edge and the dogs needed to get down there to get back on the track. One of the houndsman stuck his head over the edge and said "he's in here". WTF... No way to shoot a bow... No way to shoot a rifle... He yells at me to dig through his pack for a handgun. Right on, it's a snub nose 38 revolver... WTF.. I go over there, slide down a rock that's on a 45 degree angle over a 25 foot drop, which by this time 2 of the dogs slid off. I have 3 guys yelling at me to shoot it... a total chaos train wreck. The only way I could even see the cat is to hang on to the rock with my right hand and lean out into space. OK I see the lion and he's not very happy. I cock the hammer, lean out with the gun in my left hand while holding on with my right. For a split second I think that this is really stupid, then I think this is one of the coolest things I've ever done.... Kaaapowww right in his chest from a distance of 5 feet. Get me the F off this rock... Here's a houndsman pulling the cat out of the hole...

Attached Files

• Attached File  6.jpg   458.87KB   1 downloads

#6 hatchet1

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,186 posts
  • Interests:Clowning fatboy & his offspring!!!

Posted 26 November 2018 - 07:27 PM

I love this type of stuff...I love AZ..and I love lion hunting!! Kids are cool too..good job buddy..double tap In the cave..oh yes..

"REMINDING CALIFORNIANS THAT "MAN" IS THE ULTIMATE PREDATOR..NOT SILLY MOUNTAIN LIONS....."

" in memory of cecil the lion & P-32..never forget"

#7 BOWUNTR

BOWUNTR

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 07:35 PM

Woohoo... a 100# tom lion on a $25 OTC tag. We took some pics and I skinned and quartered that stinky beast. The 3 houndsman shook my hand and walked back to their trucks... their job was done. I kinda felt like a dirty whore. Anyways, my kids were pumped and wanted to finish the day hunting deer. We ended up seeing over 100 deer... no bucks. I need to find the bucks. I'm pulling them out of school on Friday and the season ends on Sunday. It's supposed to snow starting Thirsday so maybe things will get rolling. BTW, Mountain Lion is one of the best tasting meats I've ever had. To be continued.... Ed F

Attached Files

#8 BigWave

BigWave

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing!!

Posted 26 November 2018 - 07:38 PM

Pretty bitchin so far Ed!

#9 hatchet1

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,186 posts
  • Interests:Clowning fatboy & his offspring!!!

Posted 26 November 2018 - 07:41 PM

Well above average...

"REMINDING CALIFORNIANS THAT "MAN" IS THE ULTIMATE PREDATOR..NOT SILLY MOUNTAIN LIONS....."

" in memory of cecil the lion & P-32..never forget"

#10 SCREWLOOSE

SCREWLOOSE

Guide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 08:00 PM

55 minutes from first post to money shot!!

AS is going to be SOOOO disappointed in you!!

Excellent story and congrats on a cool hunt.
Fins for breakfast, Feathers for lunch and Fur for dinner. A well balanced diet...

You are not raising a BOY, you are raising a MAN. DO NOT let society tell you otherwise!!!

A co-worked asked why I wanted to kill a deer. I said "because they won't stay on the BBQ if I don't kill them first"

Patience is the Virtue that carry's a lot of wait.

PROUDLY SENT TO THE BANNED CAMP BY THE Captain Kangaroo!

#11 Ambush

Ambush

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts
  • Interests:hunting, climbing, offroading, beer drinking

Posted 26 November 2018 - 08:01 PM

Hell yes. Cliff hangin lion, point blank, one handed!!!

#12 mouthcallinmatt

mouthcallinmatt

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 08:03 PM

Amazingly cool! I think I'm most amazed at the $25 OTC lion tag.

#13 Zach

Zach

Comedian in training, at least on the internet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 08:11 PM

Awesome stuff Ed!!

Leaving CA never disappoints!!

#14 nicapopolis

nicapopolis

"Custom"