5 replies to this topic

#1 Spanky

Spanky

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 07:52 AM

As the deer season has come to a close, I can't help but ponder the huge decline in the numbers of deer and more specifically, bucks in the D-5 region. I have several game cameras set up on what used to be productive game trails and the cameras are mostly void of wildlife. I pick up the occasional small doe or jackrabbit, random coyote or bobcat and that's it. The one factor that has changed in my area that I hunt is-  Cannabis Grow operations. In the years following the Butte Fire of 2015, Calaveras County decided to allow these grow operations but have since suspended them. If you use Google Maps satellite view, you will find the county inundated with grow ops. My theory is that these operations have impacted the wildlife in a devastating way. When I hike the areas that I hunt, depending on the wind direction, you can't help but be knocked over by the wafting fumes from neighboring grows. Between the poisons and fertilizers (Many of them are illegal to use in California) and these growers actually slaughtering the wildlife to protect their cash crops, the wildlife have been eradicated.

Thoughts?

https://www.theatlan...rug-war/521352/

Edited by Spanky, 04 November 2018 - 07:53 AM.

#2 GUNDOGLOVER

GUNDOGLOVER

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping and a beer now and now

Posted 04 November 2018 - 09:35 AM

Far more wildlife has been eradicated due to mans expansion than to hunting.  I can't even begin to tell you how many areas I use to hunt, not only in Cal. but other states, that are now either farms, homes or industrial developments. It will only get worst.

#3 Spanky

Spanky

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 09:49 AM

Far more wildlife has been eradicated due to mans expansion than to hunting.  I can't even begin to tell you how many areas I use to hunt, not only in Cal. but other states, that are now either farms, homes or industrial developments. It will only get worst.

While I agree with your assessment in part, Calaveras County is probably one of those counties that has not had massive growth in housing/AG and certainly not industrial unless you consider cannabis industrial. The area I hunt is rather remote and other than pot farming has not significantly changed in the 20+ years I've hunted it. Habitat has definitely changed partly due to the massive Butte Fire, but it would seem that if anything, the area I hunt would have enhanced its deer population with the deer vacating the fire areas.

#4 Skeet

Skeet

buck feaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,828 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 10:35 AM

Growers using all the water in the areas plus protecting their crops = loss of wildlife

I came in this world with nothing and thankfully still have most of it left

I'm not lost I'm just scouting

Brutus the best friend a man could ever have dreamed of. You will be missed more than I can describe. Until we meet again in those happy hunting grounds rest in peace 4/23/96 - 10/05/09

B dog 04/03/2004-12/12/2016
I like big ducks and I cannot lie!!!!

#5 TheGDog

TheGDog

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 08:37 PM

In a nutshell... this.  In the US alone... the population has grown a whopping 60% since my birth in 1969 to 2017 (last year they have census numbers for). Apparently we are trending towards 10 Billion Humans worldwide not too long from now!

To anyone reading these words PLEASE preach to anybody who will listen the importance of controlling OUR birthing numbers!

"None of us was born knowing ANY of this. If someone else can do it, You can TOO!" - TheGDog.
"The wise man can learn from even the fool." - TheGDog

"Life is like a big sh*t sandwich, the more "bread" ya got, the less sh*t ya have to eat." 

#6 nicapopolis

nicapopolis

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,860 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 09:12 PM

To anyone reading these words PLEASE preach to anybody who will listen the importance of controlling OUR birthing numbers!

What is the special number?.... 1? 0?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users