3 replies to this topic

#1 manny

manny

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 11:35 AM

not sure if this is the right place for this question but hoping someone can help me figure this out.  I have a Ram 1500 with tow rating of 10,100 lbs and a hitch rating of 500 lbs.  

I am looking to but a trailer which comes in at UVW 6,195, a GVW of 7,900 and hitch wight of 500 lbs.

The trailer is under my tow rating by 20% but hitch weight over by 100 lbs.  What can I do?  Will air bags or wight distribution hitch solve the hitch weight issue?

I appreciate your input. 

#2 D12 Tracker

D12 Tracker

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying the outdoors
    Mule deer hunting in the desert.

Posted 09 October 2018 - 01:49 PM

I pull a lot of trailers for work and personal. Not with a half ton though. At the end of the day weight is weight. You are on the right track with the hitch bars on the trailer and air bags on the truck. Combined they will take some of the load off of the tongue and let you adjust the ride height of your truck. DO NOT recomend those rubber blocks that go on your axle over the bump stops. Couldn't talk my neighbor out of doing it and helped him remove them after 2 weeks.(He now has the hitch bars and air bags) The air bags dont have to be the fancy ones to work correctly. Just need the bags properly mounted and a Schrader valve by the license plate somewhere. A 12 volt tire pump will do a great job of airing them up for periodic use. Then just let the air out when you're done towing. Kind of the best of both worlds without giving up anything for your daily ride quality. With the proper hitch height (tall enough) you might be fine without the airbags. Best of luck!
"Live life like you have the only tag!"

#3 outdoorplay

outdoorplay

Founder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,967 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:19 AM

as some of you know one of our family business is we custom build one-off trailers   D12 Tracker hit the nail on the head. you're only over 100 lbs on tongue weight, but even at that, it will squat your truck some. Airbags and load leveling bars are the way to go and way your at it make sure to get the anti-sway bar.  

https://rbcomponents...railers-gallery

it is my intent to do what is best for TOF, my bed side manners suck and for that I am sorry.
I am blunt and to the point and I do not have the ability to sugar coat it to save your fillings, So really if I tell you stop pissing on the carpet, just knock it off, man up and don't puff up carry on like soap opera. the rules here are really light so man up.

Some have asked way do you put up with all the crap some put me through. and this is it
I am tired of big business just taking form us outdoorsmen. most of the product is defective and does not work as stated. bottom line if there product sucks I want ever outdoorsmen to know about.

All I ask is support those that support you, this place is about real unpaid information, its real outdoorsmen not paid to say something outdoorsmen.........

#4 manny

manny

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:30 PM

Thanks guys for your input and experience.  Now if I can just get Mike Thompson's to finish the deal and order my trailer I'll be set.    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users