20 replies to this topic

#1 Rudso

Rudso

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 11:41 AM

This was my first dove opener which resulted in a good amount of birds.  I figured this was a good time to try eating dove for the first time so when I was cleaning them I noticed out of 11 of them about 8 had yellowish-orange livers.  Is this normal for dove or should I be worried about the meat?  The other 3 had perfectly normal pink to red livers.  I noticed a few of the dove had corn for breakfast, could the corn be a reason for yellow livers? 

I'm planning on taking the meat to my sisters for the football opener BBQ and don't want to risk feeding bad meat to my nephew and niece.

The best chefs never cook... they kill.

#2 duck-boy

duck-boy

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping, the outdoors, photography

Posted 07 September 2018 - 12:35 PM

Maybe someone will chime in but I have never even looked at a doves liver. I just breast them out and cook. Only other thing I even look at is to see what they have been eating. I would say they are fine but then again I eat anything....even duck

#3 GUNDOGLOVER

GUNDOGLOVER

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,413 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping and a beer now and now

Posted 07 September 2018 - 12:46 PM

From my understanding, while the color may indicate a health issue with the bird, or it could be from diet. it usually does not have any effect on the meat. But, if in doubt, trash it.

#4 DKScott

DKScott

EWB

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,922 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 02:05 PM

Probably  heavy drinkers ....

You could email the local DFG biologist and ask

"One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am - a reluctant enthusiast....a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it's still here. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, the lovely, mysterious, and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much; I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those desk-bound men and women with their hearts in a safe deposit box, and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this; You will outlive the bastards."
― Edward Abbey

#5 nicapopolis

nicapopolis

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,825 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 02:21 PM

Just like Ron... I never look inside any animal. Take off the breast and eat.

#6 hatchet1

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,038 posts
  • Interests:Clowning fatboy & his offspring!!!

Posted 07 September 2018 - 02:23 PM

Lloyd eats them all the time
..and he,s good.

"REMINDING CALIFORNIANS THAT "MAN" IS THE ULTIMATE PREDATOR..NOT SILLY MOUNTAIN LIONS....."

" in memory of cecil the lion & P-32..never forget"

#7 BOWUNTR

BOWUNTR

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 02:48 PM

Last time I checked my liver it was yellow... you're good, just add bacon. Ed F

#8 TheGDog

TheGDog

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 03:11 PM

Excellent Man Response! "Just Add Bacon" HaHA!  Freakin love it!

"None of us was born knowing ANY of this. If someone else can do it, You can TOO!" - TheGDog.
"The wise man can learn from even the fool." - TheGDog

"Life is like a big sh*t sandwich, the more "bread" ya got, the less sh*t ya have to eat." 

#9 DMax

DMax

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts
  • Interests:I'M TO SEXY FOR MY SHIRT ...waterfowl, bow hunting, elk camp, SIERRA NEVADA,MAMMOTH BREW BEER ipa's and deep sea fishing being in the great outdoors camping fly fishing/hunting ....just need a good women to keep it warm .... ( . )( . )

Posted 07 September 2018 - 05:06 PM

BETTER THAN SPOONY    :smiley-ugly-lol-bashing-sign:

#10 SCREWLOOSE

SCREWLOOSE

Guide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 07:18 PM

Lloyd eats them all the time
..and he,s good.

You call that ‘good’?

How’s the dove dog liking Az.?
Fins for breakfast, Feathers for lunch and Fur for dinner. A well balanced diet...

You are not raising a BOY, you are raising a MAN. DO NOT let society tell you otherwise!!!

A co-worked asked why I wanted to kill a deer. I said "because they won't stay on the BBQ if I don't kill them first"

Patience is the Virtue that carry's a lot of wait.

PROUDLY SENT TO THE BANNED CAMP BY THE Captain Kangaroo!

#11 hatchet1

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,038 posts
  • Interests:Clowning fatboy & his offspring!!!

Posted 07 September 2018 - 07:27 PM

Sleeps all day..except when he is eating or has to shat...life of Lloyd..bstrd has it made!! Mama cooks him steak and brown rice for dinner everynight...he.s fatter han ever..

"REMINDING CALIFORNIANS THAT "MAN" IS THE ULTIMATE PREDATOR..NOT SILLY MOUNTAIN LIONS....."

" in memory of cecil the lion & P-32..never forget"

#12 WildBill2

WildBill2

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and camping

Posted 07 September 2018 - 07:56 PM

I second that....breast then out bacon and jalapeño. No questions asked and enjoy 👍🏻🥃

#13 DKScott

DKScott

EWB

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,922 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 09:03 AM

To quote Paul C:

"You could wrap a dog turd in bacon and it would taste good."

Truth.

"One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am - a reluctant enthusiast....a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it's still here. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, the lovely, mysterious, and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much; I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those desk-bound men and women with their hearts in a safe deposit box, and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this; You will outlive the bastards."
― Edward Abbey

#14 Wister Junkie

Wister Junkie

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 02:36 PM

Dove foie gras!

#15 popx5

popx5

Sportsman