Photo
- - - - -

Price not an issue, Which handgun would you buy for big-game hunting? MuleDeer & BlackBear

Handgun Hunting .44 Mag .45-70 .30-30-Win

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 TheGDog

TheGDog

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 10:06 PM

Want to reach out there and get a feel for what everyone would purchase as a hunting handgunl Obviously for MuleDeer... but also possibly for black bear later on down the road.

I will likely need to put an optic on it. Your experiences with them would be much appreciated. I'd probably lean toward Vortex Venom RedDot

Been kinda eyeing  the S&W 460's for their ability to run .460 S&W Mag, .454 CASULL cartridges, and also .45 Long Colt cartridges as well.

Seems like it would be a great mix to allow practicing shooting cheaper with the .45 Colts.  Looks like most of the hunting I'd do the .45 Colts wold probably handle my needs just fine. As long as its a pump-up .45LC round.

I'm hoping we can hear some stories and opinions from those who have spent quality time out in nature already chasin' aftrer deer with these types of pistols and what kinds of interresting insider info they have to share with us!

I currently have a 4" bbl .357 Mag.  And it would be legal to try with that here in CA. But I was hoping to get something at least .44 Mag or bigger with a longer barrel that could put a serious WHOMP! on 'em.

Another strong thought on this matter is getting the Magnum Research BFR in .30-30 Win (maybe .45-70 ?)

"None of us was born knowing ANY of this. If someone else can do it, You can TOO!" - TheGDog.
"The wise man can learn from even the fool." - TheGDog

"Life is like a big sh*t sandwich, the more "bread" ya got, the less sh*t ya have to eat." 

#2 GUNDOGLOVER

GUNDOGLOVER

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping and a beer now and now

Posted 25 July 2018 - 06:45 PM

I'm kind of surprised by the lack of response to this topic. I have only used my Ruger .480 for hunting and did manage to get a nice piggy at 45 yards. I have shot the .454 Casull, the 45lc, S&W .500 and my Colt Anaconda .44 mag. Of all of them I found my .480 the easiest to handle and the one I was able to shoot the most rounds through without much discomfort. The Casull gave me nightmares, maybe because it was the first hand cannon I shot. My .44 is fine to shoot with target rounds but when I switch to a nice hot load it can also be uncomfortable to shoot too many rounds in a row. I didn't find the .500 to bad, maybe due to it's size and the fact I only shot a few rounds. I haven't shot the .460 but I have read a lot of good reports on it. I got my .480 when Ruger first put it on the market in 2001, It never gain the support Ruger was hoping for, I'm not really sure why, to much competition I think. I'm very pleased with mine. Ruger reintroduced it in 2014 and it has become fairly popular with big game hunters.

#3 TheGDog

TheGDog

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 10:11 PM

Ok... so with the .44... like how many hunting rounds would you say it takes because it starts to make ya uncomfortable and want to stop for awhile?

Nightmares with the Casull huh? Wow... Ok. Hrmm.

Part of me likes the idea of the .500 and everything... that is.. up until I saw how much the damn ammo was.  Eeesh.   Also I saw a slow-mo vid of a guy shooting one... apparently the lock-up of the cylinder went out of alignment a tiny bit and the whole barrel blew-off!  Dude got VERY lucky he didn't get jacked up. That vid kinda turned me off on the idea of that one, to be honest.

Are .45LC's comparable to .44's? Like with a stout .45LC loading?

I can't remember if I've shot .44 mag before.  Shot a Desert Eagle .50 AE before. Actually liked it. I was extremely accurate with that pistol.  I jokingly told 'em "How much ya give me if I hit the bullseye?" I think just 7yds, which is easy of course, but I didn't think I had a chance in hell of hitting it on my first ever shot. Son of a Gun if that first shot didn't flipped around the orange sticker placed upon the center of the bullseye! And the remaining rounds in the mag were all nice and pretty tight to for somebody that had only shot a .357 up until then.

"None of us was born knowing ANY of this. If someone else can do it, You can TOO!" - TheGDog.

"Life is like a big sh*t sandwich, the more "bread" ya got, the less sh*t ya have to eat." 

#4 TheGDog

TheGDog

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 10:13 PM

Out of curiosity... which .454 Casull pistol did you fire which was that unpleasant?

#5 Zach

Zach

Comedian in training, at least on the internet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 06:04 AM

you should message Bishop

#6 DKScott

DKScott

EWB

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,955 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 07:42 AM

Bishop is the handgun hunter around here. IIRC, he's comfortable with a .454. I'm sure he can fill you in.

I have a couple .44 mags, both Model 29's. The S&W Mountain gun is easy to carry and I can shoot it decently but its not that pleasant to shoot - 4" barrel, factory grips. Better grips might help.  The other is a S&W Custom Shop Stealth Hunter.  I got it at a price to cheap to turn down from a guy who needed to sell his toys. That one is a dream. Heavier, great trigger, has a 7.5" full lug barrel and Hogue grips. Accurate as hell. I can comfortably shoot over a box of full house magnum loads - 50 rounds, no sweat. Maybe I'll take it hunting this year.

I have shot the Ruger mags and the .454; all Ruger Redhawks. They are unpleasant to me. I don't think I could ever shoot them enough to become proficient.

"One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am - a reluctant enthusiast....a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it's still here. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, the lovely, mysterious, and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much; I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those desk-bound men and women with their hearts in a safe deposit box, and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this; You will outlive the bastards."
― Edward Abbey

#7 hatchet1

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,186 posts
  • Interests:Clowning fatboy & his offspring!!!

Posted 27 July 2018 - 10:29 AM

I once new a guy who use to hammer hogs with his model 29 S&W 44mag...point blank. Crazy mofo!! He has since grown soft and old.. just drives the truck these days..that being said..hard to beat the old 29...

Attached Files

"REMINDING CALIFORNIANS THAT "MAN" IS THE ULTIMATE PREDATOR..NOT SILLY MOUNTAIN LIONS....."

" in memory of cecil the lion & P-32..never forget"

#8 TheGDog

TheGDog

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 12:46 PM

Can you mount an optic on a 29?  I didn't think you could. 

S&W does make a very light trigger pull once you've got it clicked back to single-action. Got a Model 60 5-shot and it's quite a light trigger once cocked.

Unless I happen to trip over a bunch of money somebody carelessly leaves lying around and can get some LASIK... I'm feeling it would be wise for me to get one I can mount an optic on, just in case it proves too challenging to aim *well* at distance with the irons and my glasses.  :(

And yeah... I know getting close pretty much takes that problem out of the picture. And my shots so far have been 40, 25, 25 yds.  But I'm not soo foolish as to assume they will always happen that close. (Though that is my goal.)

I was thinking back last night... and actually I think I did get to try somebodies .44 Mag before. I think it was wood grips. I remember it stinging a bit more than the heavy .357 loads on mine. Enough to think something like "Boy, I don't know how many I'd be able to do of that.". But since I have real nice Pachmeyer grips on mine, I figured it was mostly because of the wood grips it felt that way?

So... is the general consensus that with a .44 Mag I'd be good to go and not end up with buyers remorse and wanting bigger/better? 

I know the general consensus is to have at least 6" barrel.  I was figuring like a 7.5"/8" would probably optimal for hunting. That sound about right?

Edited by TheGDog, 27 July 2018 - 12:46 PM.

#9 GUNDOGLOVER

GUNDOGLOVER

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping and a beer now and now

Posted 27 July 2018 - 05:37 PM

I'm not 100% certain but I think the .454 i shot was a freedom arms. This was in the mid. 80s. It was the first time I shot a hand gun larger than a .357. I shot 5 rounds through it just so I didn't catch a bunch of flack from my friends. Not a pleasant experience. My friend took two black bears with his .500 S&W but the .44 will kill them just as dead, and far cheaper to shoot.before I got my .480 I looked into either bolt on mounts or having my Anaconda drilled and tapped to receive mounts but was advised against both, advice I took, hence the .480 which I fitted with a 3 x 9 Burris.

#10 TheGDog

TheGDog

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:13 PM

I sent Bishop a PM with questions. Here's hoping he can find the time to bless me with some of his wisdom!

#11 DKScott

DKScott

EWB

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,955 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 07:58 AM

Yes, you can scope an S&W

Attached File  ScopedS&W.jpg   45.1KB   0 downloads

"One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am - a reluctant enthusiast....a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it's still here. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, the lovely, mysterious, and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much; I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those desk-bound men and women with their hearts in a safe deposit box, and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this; You will outlive the bastards."
― Edward Abbey

#12 snoopdogg

snoopdogg

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 11:09 AM

Oooh, looks vicious. Kapowwww!
Any day in the outdoors is a damn good day.

#13 TheGDog

TheGDog

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 09:18 PM

Hey quick question, today I checked out a  Smith & Wesson M629-8.  Do any of you know if this piece has limitations on how hot the rounds can be loaded for it to shoot?

I'm asking because it sure seemed REAL LIGHT to me!   Lighter than my Ruger Security Six 4" .357. (Granted, this .44 was Unloaded, and I'm used to picking up my Ruger loaded) and I know the word is that the Ruger's are pretty over-built and can handle hot loads in them.  So it made me wonder if that's an issue?  Had a real nice light pull on the trigger in Siingle-Action.  The iron sights, though nice with that orange blade up front,  felt like they were maybe a little too narrow to bring on target as fast as my Ruger's sights. Suppose that won't matter as much since I'll likely put an optic on it.

Since this M629-8 felt soo light, it made me wonder if it has limitations when it comes to how hot you can load rounds for it?  Not like it's *much* of a concern for me, because I don't have reloading equipment.... yet.  But you know, when eyeing a big-ticket item like this, I don't want to make a decision which might later limit my options.

I was amazed at how light it felt though! I was totally expecting it to feel like a tank to me being an 8" and all, since I'm used to my 4" .357.  But it wasn't at all!

This model is pretty neat in that on top it's got like 4 or 5 screws for mounting an optics rail.  And I believe I read that the optics rail/base comes in the box too.

Attached Files

Edited by TheGDog, 05 August 2018 - 09:22 PM.

#14 TheGDog

TheGDog

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 09:21 PM

Yes, you can scope an S&W

attachicon.gifScopedS&W.jpg

Hrmm... looks like you have to remove the Rear Blade to do it though huh?

#15 TheGDog

TheGDog

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:03 AM

FYI, I sent a Message to BuffaloBore asking about that S&W 629-8, and Tim said it can shoot all their HEAVY loads EXCEPT for item # "4D", which is there "Heavy .44 Magnum +P+ Ammo - 340 gr. Hard Cast, L.F.N. - G.C. (1,425 fps/M.E. 1,533 ft. lbs.) - 20 Round Box"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users