25 replies to this topic

#16 DOG ON POINT

DOG ON POINT

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,940 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 10:29 AM

On Wednesday nights Owens gun range in Orange shoots shotguns. (Pete Schumacher new place). If you want to meet up let me know. .. also hi tech archery in Fullerton has open classes with equipment. Took my daughter there several times to see her interest before I bought her bow. My kids a 12 & 15 now... let me know.

#17 bpnclark

bpnclark

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 02:34 PM

If you cant find a semi, I put a hevi-shot ported choke tube on my daughter's 20 gauge pump Nova. Made a difference.

#18 TheGDog

TheGDog

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 11:33 AM

On Wednesday nights Owens gun range in Orange shoots shotguns. (Pete Schumacher new place). If you want to meet up let me know. .. also hi tech archery in Fullerton has open classes with equipment. Took my daughter there several times to see her interest before I bought her bow. My kids a 12 & 15 now... let me know.

Hey thanks for the heads-up on these places!  I was able to Google Hi-Tech, but I can't find this "Owens" gun range. Might you be meaning "Evan's Gun World" in Orange?

"None of us was born knowing ANY of this. If someone else can do it, You can TOO!" - TheGDog.
"The wise man can learn from even the fool." - TheGDog

"Life is like a big sh*t sandwich, the more "bread" ya got, the less sh*t ya have to eat." 

#19 One Track

One Track

Guide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 03:06 PM

Best advice is in one of the posts above.  Get the Limbsaver Butt Pad.  They are $40.  At 8 and 10, my daughters didn't like the kick of their 20ga youth pump.  The lady at the gun range, walked up and said, "Girls, you need one of these."  I put it on and they shot two boxes of shells with no regrets. I bought two!  They are incredible.  I have had people thank me later for this hot lead.  Get one or two. Done deal.  My girls love shooting, even ten years later.  I put the same butt pad on their 243 and 270.  No problem!   All good.

I saw a lynx at Tejon.

#20 Skeet

Skeet

buck feaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,855 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 04:36 PM

If your in the Hesperia area and I'm off there more than welcome to try my daughters youth 20 auto 

I came in this world with nothing and thankfully still have most of it left

I'm not lost I'm just scouting

Brutus the best friend a man could ever have dreamed of. You will be missed more than I can describe. Until we meet again in those happy hunting grounds rest in peace 4/23/96 - 10/05/09

B dog 04/03/2004-12/12/2016
I like big ducks and I cannot lie!!!!

#21 ilovesprig

ilovesprig

"Custom"

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,416 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing

Posted 17 July 2018 - 08:53 PM

The Limbsaver is one of the best investments I've ever made on rifles & older SBE's.

San Diego County Fish and Wildlife Commissioner
"Friends of Wister" Volunteer
CWA Life Member

"Take'em sounds alot like gun fire" (Lujack... circa: 1998)

"Hey, I got my Limit" (Lujack...circa:2007)

#22 manny

manny

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:29 AM

Thank you all for your input.  Dog on point and Skeet; I will pm you to try to work something out.  Thank you!

Gdog, as for your situation, I agree with the comment about "its not about the hunt."   I made it all about the adventure with both my boys.  We take lots of snacks and things to remain comfortable.  I tailor the hunts for them to have fun, not so much the hunt or harvest.  If we harvest anything that's just a bonus.  I also make the trips our "guy time" where we joke with each other in ways mom may not approve of (fart jokes tend to be at the top of the list LoL).  I give them a lot of control on how the hunt goes and what we do.  I also started them off with a BB gun and would let them "finish off" any animal that we harvested.  I did not force them to clean or even watch when I clean the game until they were interested in doing so. I did not want to gross them out or make it feel like work.  I figured that would come later.

Good luck        

#23 TheGDog

TheGDog

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 09:34 AM

Hrmm... that's probably a good call on the "I did not force them to clean or even watch when I clean the game until they were interested in doing so."

I've called him over and had him watch me clean the rabbits. Explaining what I'm doing as I went along.  He's just starting to be slightly less visually suggestable and slightly less creeped out.  I was trying to point out and demonstrate for him how it was just like what we watched when I had him sit with me and watch a vid where they showed how to do gutless on an elk. 

And when he'd make comments like "That's creepy" or whatever, I'd counter with "Not really. It's just like when Daddy gets the pieces of chicken ready for the Oven. It's the same thing as this."

He's getting better about it.  But yeah, I think I'll take that advice of not pushing that issue when it comes to processing.

"None of us was born knowing ANY of this. If someone else can do it, You can TOO!" - TheGDog.
"The wise man can learn from even the fool." - TheGDog

"Life is like a big sh*t sandwich, the more "bread" ya got, the less sh*t ya have to eat." 

#24 sherpa1

sherpa1

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Interests:duck and deer hunting

Posted 19 July 2018 - 04:35 PM

Turners in Orange has a almost new Franchi Affinity 20 in max camo on consignment. It has the short youth stock on it. Looks to be in great shape.

JUST DUCKY

#25 DOG ON POINT

DOG ON POINT

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,940 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 07:10 AM

Sorry. Yes it was "Evans"
also 22 is a fun small caliber to shoot...

#26 ofdscooby

ofdscooby

Guide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 08:42 AM

My hunting partner that Ive hunted with for 20 plus years has three kids that are a little older than my two. He was gifted (its nice to have a few rich friends) two 1100's one in 28 ga and one in .410. The 410 got them over the kick the 28 let them have a fighting chance an knocking down some birds and now his oldest at 15 shes killing it with a 20 ga. They will never notice the kick when they are focused on a bird. They will only notice it when you huck a water bottle out there and tell them to shoot it. I wont be going the 28ga route but we will go .410 to 20ga. Ive shot the 20ga Stoeger that they make in a youth 20 and full size and they fit the bill for a little wing shooting.

As far as keeping the kids interested I've always had better luck when there were other kids around. When I hunt with friends that have their kids there they love it but when its just us its like I'm making them do chores.

There is such a thing as a "dumb question" use the brain God gave you and try to figure it out you'll be a better person for it and you'll learn more

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users