25 replies to this topic

#1 manny

manny

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:55 PM

My youngest son just turned 9 yrs and wants to hunt this year.  I took him out to shoot the other day and fired his brothers 20ga pump action (youth sized) and my old 410 (full sized).  He handled the kick of the 410 fine but the size was an issue.  He tried the 20ga youth pump and could not handle the recoil.  I may need to buy a youth 410 but I would rather he stay with 20ga for ducks. 

I am looking to see if there is anyone in the Riverside or Palm Desert area who has a 20ga semi auto youth that might be willing to meet with us so my son can try it out before I run out and buy a youth 410.  I have heard the recoil of a 20ga semi auto is much less than that of a pump action 20ga.   

please pm me and I will provide my cell.

#2 MAG1

MAG1

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:HUNTING FISHING
    AND RAISING 4
    DAUGHTERS

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:10 PM

Good luck with that. I found this year with my 9yr old , that pass shooting her sisters youth 20 was still going to be to much for her. It is a youth mossberg real small and light, but still to much for her to handle, even with shooting sticks for turkeys it was a challenge. But she is hooked and next year should be her year. JUST MY ADVICE

#3 outdoorplay

outdoorplay

Founder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,982 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:48 PM

back when my kids were little I would have them try a 20 Gg single shot. they would say its kicks to hard tell they were about at the age of 8 and 9, I have boys and girls. 

but all of them could shot the Autoloader by 9 when I bought mine everyone said that Benelli (gas Auto) had the less amount of recoil  

it is my intent to do what is best for TOF, my bed side manners suck and for that I am sorry.
I am blunt and to the point and I do not have the ability to sugar coat it to save your fillings, So really if I tell you stop pissing on the carpet, just knock it off, man up and don't puff up carry on like soap opera. the rules here are really light so man up.

Some have asked way do you put up with all the crap some put me through. and this is it
I am tired of big business just taking form us outdoorsmen. most of the product is defective and does not work as stated. bottom line if there product sucks I want ever outdoorsmen to know about.

All I ask is support those that support you, this place is about real unpaid information, its real outdoorsmen not paid to say something outdoorsmen.........

#4 Limited Out

Limited Out

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:28 PM

A Limbsaver butt pad might be a good investment along with some 20 ga. Winchester AAs in the lowest FPS they make. A couple ideas that could help.

#5 Ducky's Dad

Ducky's Dad

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:07 PM

I know you did not ask for gun recommendations, but here is one anyway.  I am not a fan of semis in any configuration, but a shoulder injury is forcing me to use mostly gas guns for the time being.  Last year I bought a Winchester SX3 20 gauge Black Shadow because from what I could tell, it was the softest shooting 20 available (could not find any 1100 that I liked).  The SX3 is very soft shooting and is a splendid gun, and self-adjusts to cycle low pressure loads.  Discontinued but still some available if you look around. 

#6 DOG ON POINT

DOG ON POINT

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,940 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 05:26 AM

My son shot the youth 410 for that 1st year.on ducks. I took my 20g berretta 391and cut the stock down to fit him. He shot it for the next 4yrs. I just extended it a little, but now he's shooting the 12g. I do have a not so youth model he could try... those limb savers are great.

Edited by DOG ON POINT, 13 July 2018 - 05:27 AM.

#7 TheGDog

TheGDog

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 02:14 PM

I'm shakin' my head reading your guys posts.  I'm over here... ALL THE TIME asking my kid "You wanna go out with Daddy and go hunting?" He never wants to go.  Heck even when I ask him if "Ya wanna go shooting?" he almost never wants to go!!  I just don't get it.

It's soo exasperating to me because my parents didn't make enough to be able to offer this kinda stuff to us and I'd have jumped on that chance in a hot minute!

And with the same way he never wanted to go dirt bike riding after I bought him a 50 and all that at like 7yo. And had my 23 year dream of one day going riding with a kid of my own crushed.  I know the futility of trying to force the issue with this one.

What's the secret? What's the trick?  Did you guys just have to force them to go at first?  My thing is I DO NOT wanna have to deal with him were he to get all whiner-whiney-pants about it.  Is that just something they all do in the beginning and ya have to just force them past it?

I try to show him neat hunting videos too, in hopes that their more glamorous nature would seem appealing, but still no go.

"None of us was born knowing ANY of this. If someone else can do it, You can TOO!" - TheGDog.
"The wise man can learn from even the fool." - TheGDog

"Life is like a big sh*t sandwich, the more "bread" ya got, the less sh*t ya have to eat." 

#8 ilovesprig

ilovesprig

"Custom"

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,416 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing

Posted 13 July 2018 - 04:12 PM

'Dog,

I feel for you....I have a number of friends that have boys that don't want to hunt or fish.....I have friends that one boy wants to and the other could care less This is despite being introduced to it at a young age.....I even have a friend that his son doesn't like loud guns, but his daughter is all over it.

Kind of like a puppy that is gun shy....It's a tough fix....And to be honest, don't know that there's a cure.....I would take him to Bass Pro and let him see stuff....I would take him even if he doesn't really want to go (you're still the boss)….And I would ditch the game boy and $hit like that....Worth a try.

ps......To give you some hope.....My daughter would go with me (sometimes no choice), but never wanted to hunt when she got old enough to hunt.....Then at about 24 years of age, she met a guy that was just getting into hunting.....She then asked me if she could learn to turkey and deer hunt....She now loves it....Hang in there.

San Diego County Fish and Wildlife Commissioner
"Friends of Wister" Volunteer
CWA Life Member

"Take'em sounds alot like gun fire" (Lujack... circa: 1998)

"Hey, I got my Limit" (Lujack...circa:2007)

#9 DOG ON POINT

DOG ON POINT

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,940 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:58 PM

What does he like to do? Yes ditch the electronics. Maybe bring one of his friends along. When you hunt with a kid... don't plan on hunting much :-) my daughter doesn't care for the shotgun but loves the 22. Both kids love to fish. And we're all doing our 1st 3-d shoot together in a couple weeks. My mom raised hunting dogs so if they wanted to hang with nana we were at a trial. How old is your boy? We can always meet up and I'll bring my kids. (They work better in groups).

#10 nicapopolis

nicapopolis

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,874 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 07:59 PM

DOP has a good suggestion. Try getting him in to a kids event and dont give him much choice. There is very little chance he cant have fun.

My boys are ages 3, 2, and 1. We just got home from driving around and spotting deer. The older boys have their own bones and they are just too cute to watch.

Our kids really wont have much choice. It's what we do as a family.

#11 Skeet

Skeet

buck feaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:04 PM

Bring lots of snacks it's not about the hunt but the time together my daughter loves to go with me fishing more than hunting but luckily for me she likes just spending time in a blind bs ing with dad.

I came in this world with nothing and thankfully still have most of it left

I'm not lost I'm just scouting

Brutus the best friend a man could ever have dreamed of. You will be missed more than I can describe. Until we meet again in those happy hunting grounds rest in peace 4/23/96 - 10/05/09

B dog 04/03/2004-12/12/2016
I like big ducks and I cannot lie!!!!

#12 TheGDog

TheGDog

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:25 PM

I was thinking I'd have him do a hike-in with me during this month or next... we'd setup TrailCams.  Then maybe try to do some predator calling maybe with hand calls and eCaller so he experiences both. And give him instructions to keep his eyes peeled to help out Daddy's eyes.

But like, after getting home from this last Rabbit-Sniping session. I made sure to call him over, and have him watch me process the Rabbits.  Explaining to him the way I get them is sit with concealment on and wait for them to show themselves at edge of brush-line.

Showed him the pic one of you posted up recently of their boys holding the JackRabbit they got all smiling and happy. Still he was luke-warm on the idea.

His BDay is soon.  Maybe need to somehow figure out how to tie it into shooting. Maybe take him to BassPro and look at Bows to fit him, that could actually take game.  That way I could use that as excuse to take him out to El Dorado park for practice sessions. and get him outta that damn house.

"None of us was born knowing ANY of this. If someone else can do it, You can TOO!" - TheGDog.
"The wise man can learn from even the fool." - TheGDog

"Life is like a big sh*t sandwich, the more "bread" ya got, the less sh*t ya have to eat." 

#13 Grncrestliner

Grncrestliner

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 06:53 AM

Manny

You are way too far away from me for you to try anything I have.  My grandsons (now 8 +10) have shot my 20 gauge Franchi for a couple of years.  They have a youth 20 gauge pump but prefer the Franchi.  It is recoil operated but still is really easy on the shoulder with light loads.  I picked it up at a really good price used a number of years ago.. Over the years I have purchased a number of used guns both rifles and shotguns and never had an issue with any of them. For a youth gun I would certainly try to find a good used gun.  I have never liked the single shot guns for beginner guns.  Most have no safeties and I know one young hunter personally who shot his grandfather in the leg while trying to de-cock a single shot 410. No not me just a good buddy. The grandfather had given the 410 to his grandson so he said it was his fault.

Edited by Grncrestliner, 14 July 2018 - 06:54 AM.

#14 Grncrestliner

Grncrestliner

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:10 AM

GDog

I have no idea how to get someone interested in shooting that apparently has no current interest.  I can only tell you about our experiences with my son and now his son's.  In our case ours is basically a hunting and fishing family.  We camped and fished a lot in the Sierras as he was growing up.  He even traveled with us on our out of state hunts before he could walk.  He was always interested in fishing and hunting and I think that is partly because every family member participated.

As far as his son's go my son works in a hunting and fishing environment so his son's have been exposed to the out of doors forever. He also takes them to family day camps that involve shooting, sponsored by CWA.  They even take kids from their baseball or football teams that have never even seen a real gun before.  I have never attended one but every body said they are great family events.  They have raffles for the kids and in fact both of my grandsons have won lifetime hunting license certificates in the last two years.  They have to pass the hunter safety course but when they do they then get a lifetime license.  I think exposure to the out of doors is where it starts.  However one of my best longtime hunting buddies has one son who doesn't shoot at all. Just not interested.  His other son hunts a lot.

Good luck.  One thing I will add is if you can get him interested make sure he has some success and that it is fun.  Don't force it.  Example if you take him fishing try to make sure he lands some fish.  If you take him shooting let him shoot clay targets on the ground or something that indicates he hit it.  Younger shooters love to see the targets break.  No glass or anything that will pollute. A shoot and see target might be OK but my grandsons would rather watch a target flip over or break.  The oldest one is now shooting thrown clay birds so he is now into it.

Also about the dirt bike when we were a few years younger we were serious water skiers.  I really was looking forward to teaching my son to water ski. He never would.  He would tube but not ski.  He just wanted to fish.  We sold the ski boat and purchased a fishing boat and never looked back.  I also own a Fat Cat Honda that he would never ride.  He now wants it for his son's.

Edited by Grncrestliner, 14 July 2018 - 07:15 AM.

#15 ilovesprig

ilovesprig

"Custom"

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,416 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing

Posted 14 July 2018 - 09:16 AM

Do NOT get your child a single shot hammered shotgun.....They not only kick like a mule, are not even legal at most youth hunting events.

San Diego County Fish and Wildlife Commissioner
"Friends of Wister" Volunteer
CWA Life Member

"Take'em sounds alot like gun fire" (Lujack... circa: 1998)

"Hey, I got my Limit" (Lujack...circa:2007)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users