Photo

How long before you Process Your Rabbits?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 hatchet1

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,180 posts
  • Interests:Clowning fatboy & his offspring!!!

Posted 01 July 2018 - 03:09 PM

That one's my favorite to stevo!!! Hard work pays off.. congrats buddy!

"REMINDING CALIFORNIANS THAT "MAN" IS THE ULTIMATE PREDATOR..NOT SILLY MOUNTAIN LIONS....."

" in memory of cecil the lion & P-32..never forget"

#17 ilovesprig

ilovesprig

"Custom"

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,416 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing

Posted 01 July 2018 - 04:50 PM

Matt,

Just took a 3 hour nap....Feel much better....Next time I'll have a full tank of gas...…... :smiley-wnk-yellow:

San Diego County Fish and Wildlife Commissioner
"Friends of Wister" Volunteer
CWA Life Member

"Take'em sounds alot like gun fire" (Lujack... circa: 1998)

"Hey, I got my Limit" (Lujack...circa:2007)

#18 TheGDog

TheGDog

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 05:33 PM

Today... was a good day 1f642.png :) A good, murderous, day! (HaHA!)

I had my Daily limit of Rabbits (5) by 6:40am! (FNFY!)

The .17 HMR proved to be the GREAT tool I thought it would be for that area. All shots were between 50-80yds. And with the .17 HMR, no fussing with bullet drop. Fricken Schweet! And at those distances, the rabbits are far enough away they are not spooking by you moving/repositioning your rifle and shooting sticks/rest in order to make the shot! Watching them do backflips never gets old. 1f609.png ;)

I did have one cripple that I had to finish-off by hand with my knife. (It's so nice not to have to hear her whining anymore, right paulc?)

Cleaning/processing Rabbits is not one of my favorite things to do. (It's a bit of a PITA, due to their fur hairs.) But hey, it ain't gonna cook itself, right?

Currently they are sitting in a salt and water brine, and for ###### and giggles, decided to add a fair-sized dollop of Sriracha into the brine. Figure I might do some kinda crock-pot action with it. We'll see. The yield amount should make a nice dinner for the 3 of us. I just removed the backstraps and the muscles from hind legs. Not enough on their fronts to warrant fussing with those.

Having finished soo early, decided to hike-in on a particular nearby trail and make some sets for predator calling.

First set I did, called in a Grey Fox! That was soo cool! The caller and decoy were only like... maybe 25-30 yds away from me in this tight thick draw. Rising sun was at my back. He actually came in rather quickly after I'd began calling! (I'd say no more than 10 min?) He was circling the decoy but the circular path he was taking had him at a certain point like heading right in my direction, however my sight of him was getting obscured by some sparse brush. I feared that he might have been progressing on up this draw and would be upon me in two seconds, so I tried to pickup and move over my rifle and shooting sticks/rest when he was partially obscured from my vision. However, I believe he heard me moving so he paused, with his ears pointed in my direction. A few seconds later he decided to regress away from the scene off to my right up and out of the draw.

Shame. He was pretty too. Would have loved to have been able to give my honey a new Fox Fur Stole. 1f642.png :)

(Soon young Skywalker, soon!)

Attached Files

Edited by TheGDog, 01 July 2018 - 05:38 PM.

"None of us was born knowing ANY of this. If someone else can do it, You can TOO!" - TheGDog.
"The wise man can learn from even the fool." - TheGDog

"Life is like a big sh*t sandwich, the more "bread" ya got, the less sh*t ya have to eat." 

#19 TheGDog

TheGDog

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 06:45 PM

I'm totally exhausted....Hunted hard this morning and was able to drag these boys off the mountain....The one 4th from the left was down in a deep ravine….Thought I'd never get out...Good thing I had the SIL with me....I'm just getting too old for these rugged hunts...……..... :just-passin-thru:

Be careful sprig, I hope you had another hunter there with you. You'll note the Daily Bag Limit is 5. And the possession limit is 10. And this was the first day of the season, so there would have been no way to explain away having greater than 5 in your possession if green-jeans wanted to chit-chat with you today.

It just came to mind because I posted this pic on my FB post this morning before leaving, so it was fresh in my memory.

Attached Files

"None of us was born knowing ANY of this. If someone else can do it, You can TOO!" - TheGDog.

"Life is like a big sh*t sandwich, the more "bread" ya got, the less sh*t ya have to eat." 

#20 hatchet1

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,180 posts
  • Interests:Clowning fatboy & his offspring!!!

Posted 01 July 2018 - 07:16 PM

Just happy everyone came home safe and reported back successful..I don't sleep well at nights some times, especially the night before the Ca rabbit opener..good job fellas..praise be Jesus.

"REMINDING CALIFORNIANS THAT "MAN" IS THE ULTIMATE PREDATOR..NOT SILLY MOUNTAIN LIONS....."

" in memory of cecil the lion & P-32..never forget"

#21 TheGDog

TheGDog

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 07:32 PM

You jest about it... but I'm thankful for everytime I get to come home without injury. I'm hoping my karma in that regard is paid-up by that slip-and-fall wrist shatter in 2015. "The gift that keeps on giving!" lovely...just lovely.

#22 nicapopolis

nicapopolis

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,874 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 07:40 PM

I'm totally exhausted....Hunted hard this morning and was able to drag these boys off the mountain....The one 4th from the left was down in a deep ravine….Thought I'd never get out...Good thing I had the SIL with me....I'm just getting too old for these rugged hunts...……..... :just-passin-thru:

Be careful sprig, I hope you had another hunter there with you. You'll note the Daily Bag Limit is 5. And the possession limit is 10. And this was the first day of the season, so there would have been no way to explain away having greater than 5 in your possession if green-jeans wanted to chit-chat with you today.

It just came to mind because I posted this pic on my FB post this morning before leaving, so it was fresh in my memory.

G... Steve mentioned in his post that his "SIL" (Son In Law) was with him as well. He is all good.

#23 ilovesprig

ilovesprig

"Custom"

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,416 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 09:39 PM

Nick,

Thanks for having my back....Hell, Jacob got his 5 and after walking almost a 100 yds, I was too out of gas to hold the rifle steady and only got 3...... :smiley-biggrin-aqua:

ps....I need to get one of those fancy backpacks. So I can bone those bunns out.....Carrying them is way too much work.

Attached Files

• Attached File  012.JPG   146.57KB   0 downloads

CWA Life Member

#24 TheGDog

TheGDog

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 07:36 AM

It's funny... while boning out the bunnies, I found out that on one of them where it took two shots... I pierced his ear midway up with the first shot.  I remember being surprised that he stayed there after the first shot.  Guess he must have been a little bit in shock?  Strangely, he also had a single shot pellet on the back of one of his legs.  So I guess it must have been there from last season?

#25 Hogskin

Hogskin

My style is impetuous, my defenses impregnable.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 11:24 AM

Nick,

Thanks for having my back....Hell, Jacob got his 5 and after walking almost a 100 yds, I was too out of gas to hold the rifle steady and only got 3...... :smiley-biggrin-aqua:

ps....I need to get one of those fancy backpacks. So I can bone those bunns out.....Carrying them is way to much work.

That thing is a toad.  Next time bring a book of matches and eat him on the spot, save the hard work of carrying.

Good lookin' people, they got no spine.

In 1999 I was duped by Y2K, I thought the world was coming to an end and I spent well over a decade ingesting copious amounts of ayahuasca daily to prepare for the inevitable apocalypse which, to my genuine surprise, never arrived.

#26 ilovesprig

ilovesprig

"Custom"

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,416 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 03:12 PM

Nick,

ps....I need to get one of those fancy backpacks. So I can bone those bunns out.....Carrying them is way to much work.

That thing is a toad.  Next time bring a book of matches and eat him on the spot, save the hard work of carrying.

Great idea....Although, I had thoughts of the breakfast buffet on the way home........ :smiley-wavin-yellow:

ps...Good work 'Dog.....A couple I shot at are carrying a pellet.... :smiley-wnk-yellow:

CWA Life Member

#27 BOWUNTR

BOWUNTR

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 08:01 PM

What's the point of all this? Ed F

#28 TheGDog

TheGDog

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 08:07 PM

Well... what does that say about you?  You bothered to read it all. 

#29 ilovesprig

ilovesprig

"Custom"

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,416 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 08:16 PM

What's the point of all this? Ed F

Who knows, Ed...…….Just bored till you get on a tank...…….. :2:

CWA Life Member

#30 Cazador Suerte

Cazador Suerte

Lucky Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 09:43 PM

Wabbit season.

Duck Season

Wabbit Season

Once again. Thanks for the chuckle here.

What is the point of all this? Still laughing. Thanks Mr Ed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users