Shoes for a quiet stalk

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Grncrestliner

Grncrestliner

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:04 AM

I have not been happy with any of my footwear for trying to sneak on deer.  Last year my son did a 3 hour stalk in his socks and it worked.  I have tried to avoid that but I haven't found anything to wear for the final approach that makes sense. Any suggestions?  I noticed on the show Solo Hunter that one of the hunters was putting on something that had a thin rubber sole. Not sure what product that was.  My best choice so far has been a pair of old worn out chukka type boots with really thin soles but they are not great.  They are comfortable but virtually no traction so I can't wear them and hike on steep hillsides.  I do have some really old Chuck Taylors that are basically worn out and I thought about carrying those in my pack and putting them on when sneaking in on a buck.

#2 TheGDog

TheGDog

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:46 AM

SneekTec makes these neat little strap-on boot sole covers you put over your boot. The soles have a thick cushion and have a fuzzy ?berber? carpeting on them. While it only partially muffles things in the "potato chips" and dry grass... when you have to walk on actual dirt, like with grit in it, it makes you go almost completely silent! I use mine for walking in to my stand spot on the ground. If I hug the chaparral line I can walk in the exposed dirt at its base most of the way in and my feet aren't making a sound. It's only those parts where I have to walk thru tall dry grass or the dried crackly oak leaf "potato chips" that it's helpful affect is maybe... scrubbing off (30%-40%)? of the sound? You do give up a teensy bit of traction compared to your boots when climbing stuff, but I haven't found it to be a bothersome amount.

Edited by TheGDog, 16 May 2018 - 08:49 AM.

"None of us was born knowing ANY of this. If someone else can do it, You can TOO!" - TheGDog.
"The wise man can learn from even the fool." - TheGDog

"Life is like a big sh*t sandwich, the more "bread" ya got, the less sh*t ya have to eat." 

#3 mjb

mjb

One life don't BLOW IT!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,192 posts
  • Interests:Keeping my freezer full of fur, feathers, fins & shells

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:41 PM

I use a pair of street running shoes and learn to walk on the balls of your feet.

#4 D12 Tracker

D12 Tracker

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying the outdoors
    Mule deer hunting in the desert.

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:42 PM

Thick pair of socks followed by an insole and another thick pair of socks. Thicker the better. This isn't for traveling, this is for the last 100 yards. If the terrain isn't too abusive then just go with socks. I recommend carrying a separate pair just for that. Wise man told me once: "If you're making noise, you're moving to fast"
"Live life like you have the only tag!"

#5 Ducky's Dad

Ducky's Dad

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:57 PM

Neoprene hybrid dive socks.  A cross between a dive sock and a dive boot.

https://scubapro.joh...-dive-sock-25mm

#6 outdoorplay

outdoorplay

Founder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,888 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 08:18 AM

Next time you are out hiking try a slow walk, walking on the edges of your boots, do not walk flat footed you will cut down your noise by 75%.

SneekTec work good,

waiting boots work good but ware out fast 

it is my intent to do what is best for TOF, my bed side manners suck and for that I am sorry.
I am blunt and to the point and I do not have the ability to sugar coat it to save your fillings, So really if I tell you stop pissing on the carpet, just knock it off, man up and don't puff up carry on like soap opera. the rules here are really light so man up.

Some have asked way do you put up with all the crap some put me through. and this is it
I am tired of big business just taking form us outdoorsmen. most of the product is defective and does not work as stated. bottom line if there product sucks I want ever outdoorsmen to know about.

All I ask is support those that support you, this place is about real unpaid information, its real outdoorsmen not paid to say something outdoorsmen.........

#7 Arrowslinger

Arrowslinger

Animal lover!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 09:20 AM

NEw Balance MT10

Big game hunter!

#8 Pulaski

Pulaski

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 05:51 PM

I have a questions to you seasoned hunters...If one is used to it, would walking barefoot be a problem? Scent wise, socks or barefoot would not be much difference would it?

Marcelo

#9 mjb

mjb

One life don't BLOW IT!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 06:02 PM

If you have surfer feet sure

Me no like torn in foot!

#10 outdoorplay

outdoorplay

Founder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,888 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 07:18 PM

I surf and I still ant going to with something on my foot 

it is my intent to do what is best for TOF, my bed side manners suck and for that I am sorry.
I am blunt and to the point and I do not have the ability to sugar coat it to save your fillings, So really if I tell you stop pissing on the carpet, just knock it off, man up and don't puff up carry on like soap opera. the rules here are really light so man up.

Some have asked way do you put up with all the crap some put me through. and this is it
I am tired of big business just taking form us outdoorsmen. most of the product is defective and does not work as stated. bottom line if there product sucks I want ever outdoorsmen to know about.

All I ask is support those that support you, this place is about real unpaid information, its real outdoorsmen not paid to say something outdoorsmen.........

#11 Pulaski

Pulaski

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:01 PM

I answered my now question yesterday. I went out rabbit hunting with my son and was looking at the ground and crunchy thorns and thinking that I would not want to be barefoot on that ground. I am very used to barefoot and even hike that way sometimes but I realized that most of the time the ground is dirt or rocky.

P.S. I do surf as well. :-)

P.P.S. Came back with 3 jackrabbits. Not bad for a couple of hrs out...My son was happy.

#12 BigWave

BigWave

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,216 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing!!

Posted 30 May 2018 - 06:21 AM

I hunt a lot of cholla country.  No barefooties for me!  Trail runners on slooooowww speed!

#13 TheGDog

TheGDog

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 09:48 PM

Cholla country is BRUTAL!!!  My bro lives in middle of Mojave Desert out in Golden Valley, Near Kingman AZ.  The Chollas shed dried bits of themself onto the desert floor. I had a pair of SneekTec's on because was stalking the rabbits. Bad idea. Ended up just leaving the SneekTec's there because they took in and loaded-up with a butt-load of thorns/quils. NEVER use a product like SneekTec out in that type of Desert terrain!

In Chaparall though.. the SneekTec are the bomb! No discernable footprint either, so no hunter following your path!

Edited by TheGDog, 01 June 2018 - 09:48 PM.

"None of us was born knowing ANY of this. If someone else can do it, You can TOO!" - TheGDog.
"The wise man can learn from even the fool." - TheGDog

"Life is like a big sh*t sandwich, the more "bread" ya got, the less sh*t ya have to eat." 

#14 mjb

mjb

One life don't BLOW IT!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:39 PM

So you left them there to decompose?

#15 Cazador Suerte

Cazador Suerte

Lucky Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,975 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:40 PM

Be vewwy vewwy quiet I am hunting wabbits!

Quote by ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users