Barrel Deresonator ?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Grncrestliner

Grncrestliner

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:05 AM

Just checking to see if anyone here has any experience with a barrel deresonator.  I purchased one recently but I have not installed it yet.  I own one older rifle I cannot get to shoot anything non toxic.  I don't really have to hunt with that gun but I don't like having a gun that I cannot hunt with.  I have probably spent more money buying copper factory loads than a new barrel would have cost and so far no luck.  My hunting buddies love me since after I try a few rounds and it is obvious that the gun isn't going to shoot them I usually give the partial boxes of ammo to some one else.  I figure if my first five shots are about a 5 inch group at 100 yards there is no point in shooting the other 15 rounds.

I used to shoot some factory Remington stuff and some Fusion loads that did fine in that old gun but so far nothing in copper.  Yes I have cleaned it repeatedly. I have other rifles that I am able to shoot just under 1 MOA with factory loads so I will not hunt with something around 3-4 MOA.  I was hoping to transfer this gun to a grandson but no point if it doesn't shoot.

Edited by Grncrestliner, 15 May 2018 - 05:06 AM.

#2 sierrahunter1

sierrahunter1

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:53 PM

No experience here, but I doubt it will correct that magnitude of inaccuracy. Maybe that's your 50 yard rifle. It would work for every animal I've ever shot!

Edited by sierrahunter1, 15 May 2018 - 05:54 PM.

#3 Arrowslinger

Arrowslinger

Animal lover!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:24 PM

I’d look at the scope and mounts. If everything is good there and the gun still shoots crappy. I’d find it a new home.

Big game hunter!

#4 Grncrestliner

Grncrestliner

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:30 PM

It is my first ever deer rifle I have owned it since I was 12 years old.   I know I know things were way different then. I purchased it from a family member with my own money (sold a steer).  A pre 64 30-06 Winchester Model 70  Featherweight.  I harvested a lot of animals with it with Remington ammo.  It was never a tack driver but I could get 1.5 MOA out of it.  My choices now are to take it on out of state hunts only or change the barrel. The last gunsmith I talked to about it said he would keep it and hang it on the wall if he were in my shoes. Most smiths don't want to alter a classic. I have had 3 try to talk me out of doing anything to it other than bedding the action which I have not done.  I can get 1.5 MOA right now with Fusion ammo all day long so no scope or mount issues. It just won't shoot any factory copper loads I have found and I am tired of spending $40 per box to try. The resonator is only $12 and I have lots of copper ammo to try.  Like I said I don't "need" it but would like to get it to shoot and pass it along to a grandson.

One other option is my son now has all of the rifle and shotgun loading equipment from 2 generations of loaders. He claims he is going to start loading rifle ammo. We shall see.  I am no longer interested in loading. At one time we had a load that my gun shot well but that was with standard bullets. My son has already purchased 2 different copper bullet types so who knows.

#5 Sloth

Sloth

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:Quack quack

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:48 PM

+ on checking rings and mounts. Maybe even the scope is no long tracking true (age and ware and tare). I had my rail mounting screws back out on me once. New rings are Alot cheeper than out of state tags and a new barrel
Why is it called a sweat line if you are freezing @$$ off?

CWA Member

YAT-YAS

#6 Grncrestliner

Grncrestliner

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:07 PM

I do have a different scope for the gun and I can change everything out when I mount the other scope.  My thought is since it still shoots lead ammo OK it isn't the scope or mounts.  If I pass it down it will be my son's project gun going forward.  He recently purchased a Tikka and at the price of a new Tikka it is hard to pay for a custom build.  They don't give barrels and stocks away.  I might do it anyway for sentimental reasons.  If I do that it will become a 280. I have a 7mm-08 and a 7 mag so a 280 would fit right in. I believe we have dies for a 280 already.  I know we have lots of 7mm Barnes bullets.

#7 Aeon

Aeon

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:27 PM

Resonator won't fix that.

Get the crown re cut. Old guns tend to get tweeks in the crown. That would affect a copper pill that's already on the edge spin wise more then a lead pill requiring less spin to stabilize.

For a gun that was never accurate might be best to drive on and build a new rig.

#8 ofdscooby

ofdscooby

Guide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:18 PM

You dont need a crown or to check scope mounts and the resonator is just a gimmick. it needs to be pillar bedded and get some handloads made up for it. The copper loads are less forgiving in the sense that lead is very mailable and conforms to pressure and barrel diameter as it’s spit down the barrel the copper rounds do not so they are very tempermental. They have a sweet spot for sure and factory ammo just won’t cut it. For instance Barnes recommends you start .050 if the lands and work around that to find the sweet spot so how do you know your factory load is anywhere close to that off the lands. Unless you reload you probably my don’t have the tools to measure you distance off the lands. If your not gonna reload your fist instinct is the best make if a great out of state gun. Pre 64’s shoot great but there was no copper insight when they were being made.
There is such a thing as a "dumb question" use the brain God gave you and try to figure it out you'll be a better person for it and you'll learn more

#9 Fowl Play

Fowl Play

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:54 PM

Just chiming in since my situation sounds very similar to yours. My pre 64 Model 70 featherweight .270 loves 130gr Hornady SST's, MOA type groups out to 300 yards. But it will not pattern Hornady GMX's for the life of me -- barely "Minute of deer" (6" patterns) patterns at 100 yards. I had this gun pillar bedded -- so that's already off the table. The crowns not the best though. Sounds like you and I need to either start reloading or give up on copper.

#10 TheGDog

TheGDog

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:57 AM

Sounds a lot like rings and mounts. The Rem. 783 I bought did that at first. Turns out I'd stripped one of the bolts on the rings just a little bit. I replaced it with a DNZ Game Reaper 1-piece solid mount and she became nice and laser beam accurate.

Are you saying that you can go right back to leaded rounds and she'll jump right back to expected tight groups?

Edited by TheGDog, 17 May 2018 - 09:59 AM.

"None of us was born knowing ANY of this. If someone else can do it, You can TOO!" - TheGDog.
"The wise man can learn from even the fool." - TheGDog

"Life is like a big sh*t sandwich, the more "bread" ya got, the less sh*t ya have to eat." 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users