8 replies to this topic

#1 ofdscooby

ofdscooby

Guide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 05:42 PM

I’m looking at some new wheels and tires for my truck it’s a tundra with a leveling kit. What size tires can I comfortably put on without rubbing and what offset do I need to get them at least even with the fenders if not out about and inch. I want to stick with 18 rims. I have no idea about this stuff and thought I would throw it out there and try to get some info.
There is such a thing as a "dumb question" use the brain God gave you and try to figure it out you'll be a better person for it and you'll learn more

#2 Mud Pigeon

Mud Pigeon

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 05:47 PM

A buddy has 33x12.50x18 Toyo RT's on the same rig without issue. If you google a Tundra forum you'll likely find volumes of info from guys that live for that stuff.

#3 Ducky's Dad

Ducky's Dad

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 07:19 AM

What year Tundra?  2WD or 4WD?  TRD Pro?, with factory leveling kit or aftermarket?  What do you want the tires to do?  Mudders?  A/Ts?  H/Ts?  R/Ts?  Load range?  Adding fender flares?  Why stick out beyond the fenders?  If tires stick out, that means additional loads on front suspension components, especially bearings, and will increase steering kickback.  And it wll throw mud all over the sides of your truck.

I have a 2008 CrewMax 4WD TRD with a ProComp leveling kit.  The short answer is that 285s fit stock wheels with no clearance problems.  295s (roughly equivalent to 33s) will probably clear everything, but you can't use snow chains on the front.  For a SoCal Tundra that does not see much snow, 33x12.50/18 is about the biggest you can get away with, unless you want to change other things.  When you start messing with offset, you introduce a whole new set of variables and fitment is a crapshoot.  Generally better to keep stock offset and add some rim width (1/2" to 1" max).  When you add rim width to a stock offset, you increase backspacing and can introduce clearance issues on the inside.

As suggested, go to the Tundra Forum and other Toyota fanboy sites and there will be lots of discussion about wheels and tires.  Some will be valid and a lot will represent misinformation that you will have to sort through.  Sites like Tire Rack usually have lots of data on what fits and what doesn't, and Tire Rack probably still offers their +1 and +2 wheel/tire packages that are pretty much guaranteed to fit.

#4 Ducky's Dad

Ducky's Dad

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 10:07 AM

Should have added to previous post that advice applies only to second generation Tundras, not first gen.

#5 MarkClayton

MarkClayton

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Jeeps & off-road travels.
    Fly fishing, surfing

Posted 13 April 2018 - 12:05 AM

A buddy has 33x12.50x18 Toyo RT's on the same rig without issue. If you google a Tundra forum you'll likely find volumes of info from guys that live for that stuff.

This looks like a perfect combo for the leveled truck. Next size 35x12.5 will require a lift about 4-6"

Tundra is a great truck, I'm in love with the 3rd gen, hopefully I'll upgrade anytime this year.

Here's my favorite https://autocarspec....percharger.html

It's a prerunner on 37s and a reworked longtravel suspension

Edited by MarkClayton, 13 April 2018 - 12:07 AM.

#6 Ducky's Dad

Ducky's Dad

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:12 AM

I'm in love with the 3rd gen

The "3rd gen" is pure marketing hype.  It's a 2G with cosmetic tweaks and a few new options.  Under the skin, it's the same truck.  A friend has a 2018 TuRD Pro, and it's the same truck as my 2008 TRD, but his has better A/C and a bigger gas tank.

#7 socal duckie

socal duckie

2014 will be the year!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,130 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:59 AM

I'm in love with the 3rd gen

The "3rd gen" is pure marketing hype. It's a 2G with cosmetic tweaks and a few new options. Under the skin, it's the same truck. A friend has a 2018 TuRD Pro, and it's the same truck as my 2008 TRD, but his has better A/C and a bigger gas tank.

Sounds like someone has tank envy......

STAND UP FOR WHAT YOU BELIEVE IN! DON'T JUST TALK THE TALK....DO SOMETHING!

#8 Ducky's Dad

Ducky's Dad

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:29 AM

Sounds like someone has tank envy...... 

Not really, but the larger tank is an advantage.  The TRDs come with 4.30 gears and the mileage sucks.  Is the 2018 nicer than the 2008?  Hell yes!  But still basically the same truck.

#9 ofdscooby

ofdscooby

Guide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 11:51 AM

So I did a little research. I ditched the internet scouting and went right to the source and called Method Wheels. What they explained is that every vehicle has a different offset at stock so you need to know what your stock offset is. A gen. 2 Tundra like mine has a +45 offset at stock so a if I want my wheel tire combo to come even with my fenders instead of tucked back I will get an offset with a lower number. The lower the number the farther out the wheel will go. So with a stock wheel offset at +45 my options for the rim I’m lookin at will be either a +18 or a +25 basically either a 1” or 1 1/2” farther out over stock. If I were to go with a 0 offset or an offset in the - they would look weird and stick way out. Definitely not my choice for a function able off-road vehicle. Tire wise I will stick with the 275/70/18 that I’m running now. Hope this helps someone out there.
There is such a thing as a "dumb question" use the brain God gave you and try to figure it out you'll be a better person for it and you'll learn more

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users