• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Hunter92

Hunter92

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:Duck hunting, fishing, hiking.

Posted 11 March 2018 - 03:01 PM

Hello I have a two year old chocolate lab that is limited registered with akc. Meaning I cannot get her puppies papered. She is in heat and I wanted to have one litter with her before I get her fixed. Not a big fan of continuous breeding. Does anyone have a male chocolate lab that is registered with proof. That would be interested in giving trying to breed? My chocolate lab has a short coat and I would like to try for the same. If any one is interested feel free to message me or if you have any advise let me know thanks

#2 DKScott

DKScott

EWB

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,857 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 04:49 PM

If the dog has a limited registration, doesn't that mean the breeder did not want her to be bred? Is there a reason? Would you be violating an agreement/contract?

"One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am - a reluctant enthusiast....a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it's still here. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, the lovely, mysterious, and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much; I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those desk-bound men and women with their hearts in a safe deposit box, and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this; You will outlive the bastards."
― Edward Abbey

#3 Mud Pigeon

Mud Pigeon

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 04:50 PM

Are you trying to get all chocolate puppies? You might be disappointed.  

#4 spoony killer

spoony killer

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 196 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 06:09 PM

I am looking for a pup, I would be in the market for one

#5 Hunter92

Hunter92

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:Duck hunting, fishing, hiking.

Posted 11 March 2018 - 06:36 PM

They simply don’t don’t want them papered because their blood is a “master hunter” all champion stuff and they don’t want their name “muddied” if the dog isn’t bred with them but they are not responding to messages to be able to breed with them

#6 ilovesprig

ilovesprig

"Custom"

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,366 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing

Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:22 PM

We (daughter & SIL) have a big chocolate (Jaeger) with papers.....He's a magnificent beast..... :smiley-thumbs-up-aqua:

Attached Files

• Attached File  045.JPG   949.99KB   1 downloads
  • Attached File  027.JPG   165.39KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  009.JPG   217.86KB   0 downloads

San Diego County Fish and Wildlife Commissioner
"Friends of Wister" Volunteer
CWA Life Member

"Take'em sounds alot like gun fire" (Lujack... circa: 1998)

"Hey, I got my Limit" (Lujack...circa:2007)

#7 Hunt'EmUp

Hunt'EmUp

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:05 AM

Usually a breeders contract has stipulations how to get Limited registration removed. It's usually requires hip-elbow-eyes and other health clearances to be done. Your probably gonna do what you'll do anyway; But it might be worth while to get the health certs done. If the dogs are all Master hunter field champions etc. You should at least do EIC and CNM testing as those conditions run in field lines and I'm sure you don't want future puppy owners coming back at you should their hunting dog, collapse while hunting or not develop properly, when you could've prevented it, by testing.

$58 for one test and $20 any test after.

https://vetdnacenter...ador-Retriever#

If you brought from a breeder, you should also do OFA hips and Elbows, as most breeder contracts on dogs; provide a guarantee on your dog to pass those things; if not they have to reimburse you.

You could also register your dog with the UKC, they don't have limited registrations, so you could at least get some sort of official papers that way. Still best bet is to contact breeder and figure out what you need to do to get the limited removed. It might be a tad difficult to find a qualified stud if you don't have the papers and health clearances in place. Most stud owners won't take the risk as they are liable for what they produce, just as much as the dams owner.

Edited by Hunt'EmUp, 12 March 2018 - 08:19 AM.

#8 DKScott

DKScott

EWB

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,857 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:20 AM

If you entered into a contract with the breeder, you did so willingly and you should honor the terms - and you may face legal liability if you don't. I agree with Hunt'EmUp regarding health clearances, but not the part about evading registration limitations. Maybe it sounds trite to some, but I think honesty is always the best policy.

I know some guys don't care, but I am not a fan of casual backyard breeding by people who really don't know what they are doing. You have to ask yourself: What objective evidence is there that your dog should be bred? Have you tested or trialed her? Ethical breeders are always trying to improve their lines and the only way to do it is to do the hard work of training, testing, getting health clearances and becoming knowledgeable about what type of sire is best for dog and what ones are available. The fact that you are undoubtedly in love with your dog and are convinced she's God's gift to the labs and duckers everywhere is nice, but we all feel that way about our dog. However, it is not evidence she is worth breeding.  Good lab pups are not in short supply and they are not that expensive.  Also, if you dog is in heat now, you really don't have the time to get anything done other than toss her in the yard with whatever random cur shows up. Just being honest.

"One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am - a reluctant enthusiast....a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it's still here. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, the lovely, mysterious, and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much; I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those desk-bound men and women with their hearts in a safe deposit box, and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this; You will outlive the bastards."
― Edward Abbey

#9 mjb

mjb

One life don't BLOW IT!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,179 posts
  • Interests:Keeping my freezer full of fur, feathers, fins & shells

Posted 12 March 2018 - 05:00 PM

I second Yeager he's a retrieving machine

#10 ilovesprig

ilovesprig

"Custom"

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,366 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:10 PM

Jaeger is no random cur...... :lol: .......And I wouldn't trade him for any of these labs I see at these trial or shows......All business...... :P

Attached Files

• Attached File  004.JPG   221.75KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  834.JPG   190.82KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  032.JPG   202.18KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  047.JPG   280.93KB   0 downloads

San Diego County Fish and Wildlife Commissioner
"Friends of Wister" Volunteer
CWA Life Member

"Take'em sounds alot like gun fire" (Lujack... circa: 1998)

"Hey, I got my Limit" (Lujack...circa:2007)

#11 weekend warrior

weekend warrior

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:03 AM

Your bitch is in season now , you will not have time to seek other registrations and or get the proper health clearances. And even as bad as you want to breed her right now it would be irresponsible, You could have a litter of great pups and everyone would be giving high fives around the campfire or you could have train wreck. I have a very nice Chocolate male and a proven sire but would not consider breeding him to a bitch without the proper clearances, the Labrador breeding program has come too far to let impulse breeding eroude the progress. 

I'm sure your bitch is fine pup, shes only 2 you have pleanty of time, do your home work , get your clearances , get a registration of some sort , you really should get the original breeders to sign off. You'll feel better about the breeding and you'll get a better price for your puppies. 

How the West was Won (Colt) QA2
Delilahs Addicted to Mischief (Delilah) My Jammin little girl QA2

Addicted to the Migration (Goose) SH (My wifes dog)
Extremes Dixies Reble Yell (Dixie) JH
Dawsons Little Sable(Sable) 12/08 - 5/14 We'll hunt again someday girl.

Luck = When opportunity meets skill.

When a man is proud of his dog and shows it, I like him. When his dog is proud of him and shows it , I deeply respect him.

#12 Hunt'EmUp

Hunt'EmUp

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:27 AM

If you entered into a contract with the breeder, you did so willingly and you should honor the terms - and you may face legal liability if you don't. I agree with Hunt'EmUp regarding health clearances, but not the part about evading registration limitations.

I like dogs to have records, but will agree with you that evading contracts is not the best way to go about it. Having UKC papers is just that, UKC is not AKC, but it does prove the dogs to be purebred, and gives a litter a certain legitimacy. Still this might all become a mute point as the AKC is discussing getting rid of Limited registrations, because of all the legal issues $$$$ that are being brought up in regards to them. I don't know what this actual breeders contract is, or if there is even an official contract, a bunch of breeders sometimes just spring LR on people. The OP could also petition the AKC itself for the removal of the Limited registration, it is possible given enough fuss, that they will remove it; as that seems to be their SOP whenever anyone threatens legal action over it.

Still all of this would take time, although I feel that it would be well invested time, the dog is only 2. Health clearances, are worthwhile as obtaining paperwork on a litter is worthwhile. Could also run a few events get a title on the dog; and then any puppies would be worth more. 

I also have a chocolate male, but would not breed him without appropriate health clearances-paperwork. It's just too much liability. Have seen friends do breedings such as this, good hunting dog-limited papers to a good hunting dog with full papers. It always results in significant owner puppy drama,  and issues down the line. Could even be several generations later, (the next owner wants to breed their un-papered but purebred dog), then the next wants to run events and wants to get papers, the next has a genetic issue (which could've been prevented). The penny just keeps coming up. Get your stuff in order before thinking about breeding

Edited by Hunt'EmUp, 13 March 2018 - 08:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users