Copper

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 Grncrestliner

Grncrestliner

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:52 AM

I have tried at least 6 different copper loads in my 7 mag.  The best in my gun was Federal Trophy copper with the Hornady being an OK second.  It would not shoot anything by Barnes.  2 other guys in our hunting group also shoot 7 mags.  I gave them a couple of boxes of the Barnes and they love them.  You will just have to test a couple of factory loads to find out.  I have taken 3 deer with the trophy copper and all went down very quickly, Three is not a great sample size but so far so good. I was trying mostly loads around 140 grains but did try some 150 grain loads.  I like the 140s in my gun.

#32 JNDEER

JNDEER

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 04:15 AM

Update

Hit the range yesterday. Had federal 150, Barnes 140, Remington 140, nosler 150, and hornady sst 139 (gmx all backorder)

Nosler- shot 3 rounds. 2 of the rounds the cartiridge expanded in my barrel making it very hard to pop the bolt and pull it out. Caused the primer to pop out and in my gun. Will be contacting nosler as something is for sure wrong.

Barnes- at 100 groups around 2” give or take. But speratic at best.

Hornady sst (hoping would be similar to gmx)- roughly 2.25” groups at 100.

Remington- I had shot rem 150 lead before this. Groups at 100 we’re just bigger than 1”. Had one flyer making group 2”, but confident it was my flinching. Synthetic stock 7mm punches like a mule.

Federal (thanks to Arrowslinger for recommending cause I would not have thought to try them) - group at 100 was just under 1”. Very impressed with these.

At 300 with crazy wind the federal grouped about 4” and the Remington actually grouped just over 3”. Have the gun set with federal for this season.

Edited by JNDEER, 11 June 2018 - 04:15 AM.

#33 Arrowslinger

Arrowslinger

Animal lover!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,498 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 05:38 AM

Josh, the 7mm syn kick is firm, toss a sims pad on the back.

Big game hunter!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users