32 replies to this topic

#1 JNDEER

JNDEER

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 12:21 PM

Looking to make the move this summer. My thought was to just buy all the brands and see which fly best out of my 7mm Rem Mag. To save a few bucks figured I could ask those who know copper all to well if there are any brands to scratch from the list out of the gate due to poor animal killing performance.

brands I can get locally

Nosler e-tip 150gr

barnes vor-tx 140gr

hornady gmx 139gr

Remington HTP copper 140gr

Federal Trophy 150gr

Not solid on any weight (if you want to suggest another size), these just seem more readily available than others.

#2 dain v

dain v

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 02:43 PM

I shoot Barnes Vortex 140gr out of my Steyr Prohunter chambered in 7mm Rem Mag. My rifle ammo combo consistently shoots MOA or less if I do my part. I know a lot of people don’t like copper but the 6 deer and hogs I have taken with combo mentioned went down quickly. Recovered a few perfectly mushroomed projectiles from hogs taken from real close to my farthest harvest at 384 yards. Don’t know if it’s true but I talked to a guy at Barnes and he told me the 140gr was a good choice for most commercial 7mm Rem Mag twist rates.

#3 Mud Pigeon

Mud Pigeon

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 04:49 PM

Far from an expert but I went through this last summer. IMO, I'd buy the TTSX and only branch out if you're not really happy with them. Probably save yourself hundreds of dollars in ammo.

#4 hatchet1

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,180 posts
  • Interests:Clowning fatboy & his offspring!!!

Posted 05 March 2018 - 06:58 PM

Being Mandated to shoot copper in the Blue State of CA. Is terrible..that being said, I travel to CA. For business alot..and am subjected to all kinds of Folly's do to copper failure..just find a round that your rifle likes and let the air out.. sometimes they drop..sometimes they don't...have had same experience with lead..just not as often..I like the throat patch..nothing walks from a good throat patching... copper..lead..or bean bag..they drop! Gonna be shooting duck loads (steel)for turkeys with the boys there in a few weeks,. we'll be throat patching!!

"REMINDING CALIFORNIANS THAT "MAN" IS THE ULTIMATE PREDATOR..NOT SILLY MOUNTAIN LIONS....."

" in memory of cecil the lion & P-32..never forget"

#5 sierrahunter1

sierrahunter1

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:24 PM

Here’s a Barnes Vortx slug I pulled from a bear. They perform beautifully. I wouldn’t shoot anything else, including lead. I’ve killed three bears with this round and countless deer. It has stopped every animal in its tracks. Here’s a bear that flipped head over heels after being hit, and that was all she wrote.

Attached Files

#6 Arrowslinger

Arrowslinger

Animal lover!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,498 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:40 PM

Federal Trophy is what I’m currently hording and will be shooting. I like 150’s in copper as 160 in lead was ideal.

Big game hunter!

#7 JNDEER

JNDEER

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 06:53 AM

dain - sounds like a good track record. my 7mm is stock and the old timer at sportsmans said the barnes shot very accurate for him in the 7mm

mud- thanks. is this from just accuracy or performance or both?

hatch - I know you have seen a couple copper pills and there performance. Is there any one brand you could say you have seen not quit perform as well as any of the others?

sieera - great pics. I like to see dead bears!

arrow - funny, I didn't even think about weight. Before this I shot Remington 150's and they shot very well out of my 7mm. Is there anything to a gun liking a particular grain weight bullet?

#8 TheGDog

TheGDog

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:33 AM

The twist rate of your barrel influences up to how heavy of a grain weight you can accurately shoot out of your rifle.  The heavier the projectile, the tighter the twist rate you may need in order to to stabilize the flight of the projectile.

Find out what the twist rate is on your rifle, then just do some searching online. I"m certain you can find a chart that shows the the projectile weight-range in grains that your rifles twist rate should be able to properly stabilize.

"None of us was born knowing ANY of this. If someone else can do it, You can TOO!" - TheGDog.
"The wise man can learn from even the fool." - TheGDog

"Life is like a big sh*t sandwich, the more "bread" ya got, the less sh*t ya have to eat." 

#9 TheGDog

TheGDog

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:41 AM

"
1 in 9" Twist Rate: 160 - 175 grain bullets, minimum barrel length 26 inches for maximum performance and accuracy.

1 in 9.5" Twist Rate: 140 - 160 grain bullets, minimum barrel length 24 inches for maximum performance and accuracy.

1 in 10" Twist Rate: 115 - 140 grain bullets, minimum barrel length 24 inches for maximum performance and accuracy.
"

(found at)  http://www.gunnersde...ton-magnum.html

Edited by TheGDog, 06 March 2018 - 10:47 AM.

"None of us was born knowing ANY of this. If someone else can do it, You can TOO!" - TheGDog.
"The wise man can learn from even the fool." - TheGDog

"Life is like a big sh*t sandwich, the more "bread" ya got, the less sh*t ya have to eat." 

#10 Skeet

Skeet

buck feaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:25 AM

Don't know how good they kill but shooting the Winchester copper in 150 grain in both the 06 and 308 they group amazingly well at 1 and 200 yards

I came in this world with nothing and thankfully still have most of it left

I'm not lost I'm just scouting

Brutus the best friend a man could ever have dreamed of. You will be missed more than I can describe. Until we meet again in those happy hunting grounds rest in peace 4/23/96 - 10/05/09

B dog 04/03/2004-12/12/2016
I like big ducks and I cannot lie!!!!

#11 JNDEER

JNDEER

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:16 PM

thanks Gdog. Good info. Found something on a forum that suggests my old Kmart rifle is 9 1/4". Guess I should make sure to throw in  a heavy copper pill to shoot in the mix.

skeet- thanks. will have to see if sportsmans carry's Winchester copper. didn't see any online to purchase from. my original ammo when I got the 7mm was 175gr Winchester and it did shoot fine.

#12 mjb

mjb

One life don't BLOW IT!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,209 posts
  • Interests:Keeping my freezer full of fur, feathers, fins & shells

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:20 PM

My friends that shoot the 7mm use gmx in 139gr very accurate

#13 JNDEER

JNDEER

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:36 PM

mjb - how has the performance been with the gmx? two years ago I went to the sst in hopes I could make a easy transition to the gmx, but have had a hard time getting cartridges to test them out. by hard I mean the local store has been out of stock, I just got to order and have them shipped to the store ahead of time.

#14 hatchet1

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,180 posts
  • Interests:Clowning fatboy & his offspring!!!

Posted 06 March 2018 - 01:29 PM

Out of all that I've seen come thru..the Barnes tsx seem to work...that being said..I think Jaime shoots the etips..and Zeke shoots the gmx I think? And those work also as I've seen. Really comes down to what type of appetite your rifle has and what tastes good to it..my 1.5 cents.

"REMINDING CALIFORNIANS THAT "MAN" IS THE ULTIMATE PREDATOR..NOT SILLY MOUNTAIN LIONS....."

" in memory of cecil the lion & P-32..never forget"

#15 Mud Pigeon

Mud Pigeon

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 05:42 PM

dain - sounds like a good track record. my 7mm is stock and the old timer at sportsmans said the barnes shot very accurate for him in the 7mm

mud- thanks. is this from just accuracy or performance or both?

hatch - I know you have seen a couple copper pills and there performance. Is there any one brand you could say you have seen not quit perform as well as any of the others?

sieera - great pics. I like to see dead bears!

arrow - funny, I didn't even think about weight. Before this I shot Remington 150's and they shot very well out of my 7mm. Is there anything to a gun liking a particular grain weight bullet?

My input was based on a small personal sample and a ton of internet research before I shot any copper. My .270 was at least as accurate with the Barnes as any lead load I've shot and required very little scope adjustment from the same weight lead bullet. I also gave some 30-06 Barnes I had to a friend/new hunter that went on his first deer hunt last year. I got to "guide" him to a buck after the lucky bastard drew an X zone tag from the random pool. It shot well out of his low end Savage rifle as well. The deer he shot was hit a little high and dropped like sack of rocks but still had it's head up so I had him shoot it again. It was facing us on the second shot, he shot it in the chest and I found the perfectly mushroomed bullet that had almost exited the rump when I removed a hind quarter. Complete weight retention and looked like the bullets in their ads. I was glad we were using the gutless method as I can only imagine the mess it made.

I had a hard time finding any complaints about performance of these loads and by far the least complaints of not shooting well out of a persons gun. I figured that was a good start since they probably sell more copper than the other companies combined. Being the cheap ass I am I figured I'd only try other brands if my gun didn't like them.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users