Photo

Arkansas Snow Goose Hunt 2018

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Brando

Brando

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Offshore fishing, trying to enter the world of waterfowl.

Posted 12 February 2018 - 02:37 PM

I was drawn to Waterfowl hunting by my older brother a few years ago, unfortunatley he lives all the way in Jersey, but we won't hold that against him... The goal was to get confident enough to be able to meet him up someplace to get our hunt on.  Well this year we decided to book a trip to Arkansas for the 2018 Snow Goose Conservation. It was definitely a trip of a life time! Flew into Memphis on friday night, bedded down at the Peabody Hotel Downton near Beale street to see the Ducks march... well South west airlines had other plans and delayed my flight just enough to miss the ducks march (darn it).

Saturday started off with a trip to see the Bass Pro shop/ Ducks unlimited superstore before we started our trek Stuttgart to visit the Famous Mack's Praire Wings. Once we headed over the Mississippi River into Arkansas, it was hard to keep my eyes on the road, everybody of water or open field had ducks or geese in it. After about 1.5 hours we made it to Water fowlers heaven, AKA Mack's. Being from So. Cal i was little under gunned in the cold weather department. So i was on a mission to find some nice warm clothes. We were overwhelmed. i think we spent 4 hours walking around until we realized the store was closing and we still hadn't grabbed shells. 

After supporting the local economy of Stuttgart we loaded up and headed to our Lodge "Big Creek Ducks and Bucks" in Lee County. We Hunted with "Dirty Birds Outfitters" a group based out of the Dakotas who leases the lodge for the conservation season. Man was it nice!! Full kitchen, full bar area, Lazy boys and even Cable TV to watch the Patriots lose on!

We booked a 3 day hunt Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. 

Sunday Started slow, early light we had some decent amount of birds working the decoys but not the numbers they were hoping for. I guess the birds switched their feeding pattern overnight due to the rains. still ended up with about 20 birds between 8 of us in the field. we called it a day and went back to the lodge to catch the Superbowl.

Monday totally different story, Guides busted their tails switching to a field about an hour north of our previous set up and man was it worth it! That morning there had to be at least no lie 20-30k birds working our Decoys. The F5 tornado was in full effect dropping good luck bombs and everything. When our guide greg yelled out "Go Ahead" it was on! what a rush! after the first flight it stayed fairly steady through out the day. We ended up with 100 birds for our group of 3.

Tuesday weather rolled in again and the spin this morning wasn't as impressive as the day before but 56 birds by 11am wasn't to shabby. We decided to pack it up early and drive to a local taxidermy to get two nice Ross' mounted to commerated our first brother's trip. 

Tuesday night we decided to head back to Memphis and stay at the Cypress Lodge @ the Bass Pro Shop. WOW if your ever in the area i highly recommend it. definitely Pricey but one of those thing you just have to do. 

Well all and all a very fun trip, Next trip the plan is to head back to Arkansas for ducks and specks. 

Attached File  IMG_2514.jpg   264.7KB   1 downloadsAttached File  IMG_2513.jpg   254.24KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_2515.jpg   209.35KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_2540.jpg   153.03KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_2544.jpg   300.61KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_2545.jpg   159.12KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_2541.jpg   191.01KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_2524.jpg   418.04KB   0 downloads

#2 Spanky

Spanky

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:17 PM

Nice trip!

#3 Mud Pigeon

Mud Pigeon

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:26 PM

Awesome trip Matt. Glad you got to hunt with your brother.

#4 Skeet

Skeet

buck feaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,657 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:05 PM

Thanks for sharing looks like it was a trip to remember

I came in this world with nothing and thankfully still have most of it left

I'm not lost I'm just scouting

Brutus the best friend a man could ever have dreamed of. You will be missed more than I can describe. Until we meet again in those happy hunting grounds rest in peace 4/23/96 - 10/05/09

B dog 04/03/2004-12/12/2016
I like big ducks and I cannot lie!!!!

#5 hatchet1

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,724 posts
  • Interests:Clowning fatboy & his offspring!!!

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:22 PM

it never ends...strong work on the whitey..

"REMINDING CALIFORNIANS THAT "MAN" IS THE ULTIMATE PREDATOR..NOT SILLY MOUNTAIN LIONS....."

" in memory of cecil the lion & P-32..never forget"

#6 Rooster

Rooster

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,438 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:05 PM

One to remember!👍
When the Mountains turn blue...it's as cold as the Rockies.

#7 nicapopolis

nicapopolis

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,732 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:54 PM

Awesome trip!

#8 silversalmon33

silversalmon33

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:39 AM

sounds like fun, great trip

#9 Duckfan

Duckfan

Guide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:16 PM

Awesome trip.

Congrats! Brothers hunting together... very cool

CWA Life Member
DU Member
Delta Waterfowl Member

Vegetarian - an old American Indian word meaning "Bad Hunter"

#10 longduck

longduck

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:48 PM

Outstanding! Congrats! ;)
DU Member
CWA Member

#11 Nimrod

Nimrod

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:03 AM

Fantastic!

Cush was the father of Nimrod, who grew to be a mighty warrior on the earth. He was a mighty hunter before the LORD; that is why it is said,"like Nimrod, a mighty hunter before the LORD." ....................... -Genesis 10:8-9

#12 ilovesprig

ilovesprig

"Custom"

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,322 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:39 AM

Hell of huntin' trip................. :smiley_10sign: 

San Diego County Fish and Wildlife Commissioner
"Friends of Wister" Volunteer
CWA Life Member

"Take'em sounds alot like gun fire" (Lujack... circa: 1998)

"Hey, I got my Limit" (Lujack...circa:2007)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users