Photo

QUESTION: RE: eCaller use/placement tips AND Are Birds Vultures in the Sky a sign of incoming predators?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 TheGDog

TheGDog

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:53 PM

I have an entry level ICOTec GC300. It can work, but has its limitations. On some of the sounds, like the CottonTail Distress... it sure seems like the amount of distortion that starts to come into the playback of the sound when at it's highest volumes would be bad?... and would possibly deter incoming predators?, does that thinking seem right to you experienced Coyote/Bobcat hunters? I've been trying to bump the volume up to just as loud as it can go just before my ears start to notice that distortion creeping in.

Am I right to think the distortion during playback will tip them off that something is not right with this picture?

As far as placement... I've been trying to place the MOJO Critter in a place of prominence. When I can... I'll place it in the sunlight. On a piece of the terrain that's raised up a little so the Decoy is as visible as it can be without me having some kind of extended pole mount to raise it up higher.

I know that the predators are supposed to come in... see the decoy... and that they will try to work themselves around to being downwind of the decoy before they attempt approaching it. When possible, I try to position myself downwind of the decoy, but a little over to one side or the other. Or... I'll pick a spot 90 degrees off to the side of the winds path, again trying to make sure I am not in the visual corridor the predator is most likely to be pointed towards upon entering the scene.

I try to place the eCaller relatively close to the decoy so that the sounds appear to be coming from the decoy, and I always point the eCaller into-the-wind, or sideways into the wind, but pointing towards the thicker vegetation side when it's a corridor of open grassy area between two thickets. I always try to place/hide the eCaller right beside or inside some brush or grass near the area of the decoy.

QUESTIONS FOR YOU COYOTE-CALLING VETS:

After you've set out the motion decoy, and set out the eCaller and returned back to your sit... how long do you wait before starting the caller on a sound? My thought was that I'd better wait for a bit after all that walking around just happened. Like, to let the area calm back down. Is this sound advice? Or should I start calling as soon as I get back to be sit spot?

What's the most comfortable way you've found to take a sit? I use a Tripod stool most of the times. I also have a Kings Camo inflatable sit pad that I'll sometimes use. Thing of it is It hurts to sit on the floor (even with the pad) and I'll start to have circulation cutoff to my feet or legs, or my hip sockets will become unhappy about. My tailbone had hip socket have both had major trauma long ago.

I always find a spot in the shadows to sit in, though as time marches on shadows sometimes move and expose ya. I'm sitting there with the 3D concealment gear though.   I put it on about 700yds before I reach my first destination area of the day.

What's like a common distance away from the eCaller to take your set? Or perhaps another question might be what's the closest distance you'd ever try to brother to sit at in an area with not a lot of open space?

When you start opting to switch over to mouth-calls. I was told to blow them for 10-15 seconds, put in as much emotion as you can. But then with mouth calls, wait a longer amount of time between the calling. Like 1 or 2 minutes. That sound right?

(This happened the other day) When your eCaller is going... and ya got 3 Turkey Vultures circling the area overhead for a bit and then diving back around over some oaks bordering the area to make their fly-over circles...how likely is it that they are seeing a predator like a coyote advancing toward the set and thus they are preemptively getting excited for a potential meal?  Does the Turkey Vultures being there (or Crows being there) indicate they've probably spotted a predator advancing toward the area?

How long do you try one call before you switch over to using another one? Like what's the pattern? how many seconds of the call playing, followed by how much silence afterward?  And when deciding it's time to switch to another call... how long to wait before now starting in with a different call?

And how long do you work a single sit spot? 45min? 60min?  What's the norm for how long you give it a shot at a particular spot?

"None of us was born knowing ANY of this. If someone else can do it, You can TOO!" - TheGDog.
"The wise man can learn from even the fool." - TheGDog

"Life is like a big sh*t sandwich, the more "bread" ya got, the less sh*t ya have to eat." 

#2 BOWUNTR

BOWUNTR

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 05:29 PM

I hide the e caller in a bush at 20 yards. Dying rabbits head for cover... I then use a hand call to get them coming. Once I see them coming I turn on the e call, low volume. Then I draw back and shoot when they are at the bush with the call in it. Then I go pick up the dead coyote. It's that simple... Ed F

#3 hatchet1

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,117 posts
  • Interests:Clowning fatboy & his offspring!!!

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:46 PM

Man.. that's alot of thinking dog..who does your taxes?

"REMINDING CALIFORNIANS THAT "MAN" IS THE ULTIMATE PREDATOR..NOT SILLY MOUNTAIN LIONS....."

" in memory of cecil the lion & P-32..never forget"

#4 TheGDog

TheGDog

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:58 PM

I hide the e caller in a bush at 20 yards. Dying rabbits head for cover... I then use a hand call to get them coming. Once I see them coming I turn on the e call, low volume. Then I draw back and shoot when they are at the bush with the call in it. Then I go pick up the dead coyote. It's that simple... Ed F

I apologize in advance for all the questions I'm going to have.

Sorry, but the sentence I highlighted in Red up above is vague.  What are you saying when you say "Dying rabbits head for cover". ??

I'm not sure what you are telling me here.  Are you telling me you invoke a sound on the caller of rabbit distress while you head back for cover to your sit spot? (Perhaps to help cover the sounds of your footsteps?)   And then presumably turn it off once you get to your sit spot since you say revert to hand calls then?  That's one question.

Also, can you elaborate more on the frequency and timings you use for the mouth calls?  How long do you blow your mouth call sequences? Do you always try to make it sound like the rabbit is getting torn apart and screaming bloody murder?   Or do you sometimes trail it off like the rabbit is losing his strength and nearer to death?   After you blow on the call... like how long do you personally happen to wait before you begin blowing the call again?  I've been aiming for 10-15 seconds of calling.... then I'll count to 60-90, then go again.  I've done sets where it's all the eCaller. Done sets where it's all the mouth caller.  Done sets where I've alternated both (sticking to same species for both caller and call).  And I'm putting in a minimum of an hour at each spot since from what I read Bobcats are more wary to come in to it and need more time in order to commit.  This last time out, I did most of them with just the MOJO Critter motion decoy. I kept the 2D Rabbit decoy out of the mix until the last set of the day, as I wonder if that was the reason that Bobcat was holding back on coming in to the motion lure that day... my thinking was maybe him also seeing the other 2D lure of the alert CottonTail staring at him made him think he'd better wait where he was until the "Rabbit" turned to look away?

I've been putting in a lot of work since I blew that chance by standing up too soon a while back.  I want that focker, and I want him bad. And if I remember right I've only got two more weekends to make it happen because like the 24/25th all sortsta Cub Scouts stuff with the boy is gonna start to begin to suck away all my free-time for a bit.    So any advice in this regard is much appreciated.  I know they're out there obviously because I called that one in. Also I saw one in 2015 10 minutes before taking my first deer out there. And that one was big and pregnant.  

Anyhoo... again any advice from you guys with experience is much appreciated.

"None of us was born knowing ANY of this. If someone else can do it, You can TOO!" - TheGDog.

"Life is like a big sh*t sandwich, the more "bread" ya got, the less sh*t ya have to eat." 

#5 TheGDog

TheGDog

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:24 PM

Man.. that's alot of thinking dog..who does your taxes?

The thinking never stops Hatchet.  That's why I used to love DirtBikes/Moto and MTB and BMX soo much when I was younger. Because those extreme sports forced you into focusing soo intently that for a brief shining moment... you weren't thinking about all that other stuff for once.

Since my body and eyesight can't really support those kinds of activities at that high level anymore... I decided to give hunting a try. It's not quite the same, but you still have the element of intense constant focus... and when you do have success, the rush is somewhat similar to the rush you get when you pull-off scary stuff on 2-wheels at high speeds :)

#6 TheGDog

TheGDog

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:49 PM

Hey BOWUNTR... ON the Archery side of the equation (which I will get too once I've gotten a couple with rifle under my belt) I'm assuming you'd use broadheads for Coyotes right?  Would you still be using broadheads for an animal like a Bobcat?  I mean I'm sure you could, just wondering if there are other options that might kill them more efficiently such as the Judo tips or Bludgeon tips? Or maybe those little small-game add-on multi-blade things you can screw a fieldtip back down on top of?

I'm sitting here thinking about your tactic of placing the eCaller inside a bush.  I get the idea and concept... meaning getting them to stuff their face into a bush so they can't see you drawing back. And I like that idea.

The tricky part about that in the habitat I've been going to is that it's mostly shoulder height "impenetrable" chapparal and you're just hunting the more open corridor areas where human and game trails and water-ways and gullies have cut through it and created these grassy/weed/low-brush  parts in-between where the oaks happen to grow.  Hrmm... so I guess in this instance "in a bush" will have to just be some piece of the low-brush in the middle of one of those meadowy parts.   'Cause I mean... if I stuff the eCaller into a piece of the chapparal brush along one of the "edges"... they being a smaller creature, they can actually approach thru the thick and I'd never even know they were there.  I mean... thru that thick is how he made his retreat a few weeks ago.  I have to get them out of that thick stuff if I'm gonna have any chance of seeing them at all.

So uh... BOWUNTR... you don't use any decoy or motion decoy huh?

#7 TheGDog

TheGDog

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:53 PM

Oh, and uh BOWUNTR... just curious... which eCaller you happen to be using?

#8 socal duckie

socal duckie

2014 will be the year!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,161 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 11:19 PM

G..... you need to either lay off the weed or smoke more..... just saying

STAND UP FOR WHAT YOU BELIEVE IN! DON'T JUST TALK THE TALK....DO SOMETHING!

#9 BOWUNTR

BOWUNTR

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 08:48 AM

Dude... my head hurts, couldn't read it all. Gonna have to wait til I get some sauce in me to come up with an answer... Ed F

#10 TheGDog

TheGDog

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 09:56 AM

G..... you need to either lay off the weed or smoke more..... just saying

SIGH... wish I could enjoy that on a regular basis.  But too much to do always.  I get very musically inclined when I get to enjoy weed every once in a blue moon.  You think I'm a crazy lyricist now... sheeeiit... you should see when I got some "greens" slowing my brain down to normal-people speeds!

#11 TheGDog

TheGDog

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 09:56 AM

Dude... my head hurts, couldn't read it all. Gonna have to wait til I get some sauce in me to come up with an answer... Ed F

Any input is appreciated, thank you for your time sir.

#12 2rocky

2rocky

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 12:01 PM

Gdog, time in the field will answer your questions the best.  Find a broadhead that flies well for your setup.  Whatever you want to use for deer or turkey will be fine.  Find a place nearby where you can go often and maybe just spend a couple hours.  Multiple short trips.  Archery is good for smaller properties (low visibility, no big bangs.) Have fun howling from the road to locate yotes.  

If you see a sheep ranch, Gold mine!  they love yote hunters. 

Just do it.  you will teach yourself more than anyone else will.  

Oh and don't get oneitis over a blown setup.  That one is gone, but just like trains, another will be along in no time.  

An error occurred

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

#13 TheGDog

TheGDog

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:55 PM

I feel ya 2rocky... unfortunately... living in the city nearer to the coast, there is no such thing as "a place nearby" in my case... (at least not legally, there are lots of coyote encounters happening all around my community and surrounding communites though, ironic right?) so that's part of why I need to ask a lot of questions of others with experience in the interest of not wasting my time and burning thru tons of gas money with nothing to show for it.  I'm especially keen to make sure that I'm not doing something which inadvertantly hinders my own success, where I can help it.  Also, every time I go there it's a 10mi round trip in hiking.

RE: "That one is gone" - No he's not... he just got damn lucky is all.   I *will* get him... it's just a question of *when*. 

Dogged and Relentless my friend... Dogged and Relentless.  ;)

But like anything, I'd rather it be less time til it happens than more time. So... I ask questions!  And hey... asking all those questions certainly worked for deer... so I'm sure it'll help in this case too!  And along the way.. there will be others who read the posts who maybe aren't quite as gifted with translating their thoughts into specific questions, but had these same questions nonetheless and they'll be enlightened by all the information discussed in the post!

Anyhoo... just a couple more weekends to make it happen for the Bobcat tag. Hoping I'll have something to take a picture of before too long.

#14 TonyS

TonyS

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:23 AM

"at least not legally, there are lots of coyote encounters happening all around my community and surrounding communites though, ironic right?"

Gdog, I have often fantasized about taking my .223 to Mile Square or other locals and taking a crack.  OCSD is my deterrent.

#15 TheGDog

TheGDog

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:05 AM

Actually.. I have an Umarex Octane .22 cal AirRifle that is nice and quiet that I'd like to give it a shot with.  Near me are the Naval Golf Course and the Arbor Dog Park.  There are always Geese and Loons in there and there is a pack that lives in dens on the Armed Forces Training Base. They go thru there in the wee hours as a travel corridor.

Several little flood channels run thru our neighborhoods the coyotes use as travel corridors. 

Where I'd really love to setup would be along the waterway beside Bolsa Chica next to the Naval Ammo Depot and AG fields right there. There's always waterbirds in there and with the reports people have been giving I'm pretty sure all you'd have to do is walk along that fence and find where there is a hole dug under it or something like that, then just throw-on the camo gear and wait.

Also I've noted some key spots that would allow them to cross the 405 Fwy in safety. Rain drainage tunnels. One of them is right across the street from that Golf Course and Driving range off Lampson and Seal Beach Blvd.  You can see on the fencing for that Golf Course... there's a few spots where you can tell that's where they jump up to get over that chain-link fencing. The undergrowth is a little trampled right there..and the tops of the chainlink are bent/squished a little.

Also... the open field beside Arbor Dog Park. The ditch beside driveway leading in there, they've let it get way overgrown. And where they have the Port-A-Potty at right there at the end of that entry road were the kids play soccer... rabbits hide inside that little drain pipe running underneath the asphalt that Port-A-Potty sits on. There's often some standing water in there.

Plus some neighbors have taken pics of yotes near the Dog Park that where casually walking up near-ish to them and their dogs on leash walking toward the Dog Park at just after dawn.

OCSD = ?OC Sanitation District?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users