11 replies to this topic

#1 Bigolwiggler

Bigolwiggler

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 07:15 PM

So over many years I have been grinding on a really good jerky recipe .    I finally  have it just the way I like it . A little spicy , but you can make it as spicy as you want , mine is just warm.  A little sweet , a little savory , a little smoky .

5 Lbs wild game .   slice it to about 3/16" thick  . Slicing the meat when its about 1/2 frozen makes it easier to slice at a good 3/16" thick . Take all of the fat off !! Unless you like it to taste gamey.  I slice the meat WITH the grain because its jerky.

1 Cup Yashidas Marinade .  This is the only semi hard ingredient to find , but its around . I get it at Cosco.  Its great for a lot of other things too. A great marinade ! 

1-1/4 cup soy sauce  

1-1/2 cup water.

2 tsp coarse  ground black pepper

2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes.  ( If you like it spicy ,  go up to 3 tsp )

2 TBS A-1 sauce   -or-   1 TBS Worchester sauce    -either or-

Soak overnight in the fridge , stirring a few times.    OR .... soak at room temperature   for 4-6 hours stirring every hour.

If you do this in the oven and not a smoker with wood chips  , add 1 tsp of liquid smoke . I prefer wood chips in a smoker.  Its hard to get an oven down down to a low enough temperature BUT its do-able in the oven .

Now , drain the meat WELL , I do it in a strainer and get all of the liquid off of it that I can , Leave to drain for an hour or so .  The more liquid you get off of it the better .

Put into the smoker or oven .  If you do it in an oven , leave the door cracked open set at the lowest temperature possible. .

I smoke it  between 155 deg and 165 deg for 6-9 hours depending on outside ambient temperature.

I smoke one big pan of chips initially then no more.  I use fruit wood or alder .  Hickory seems to give it a bitter taste . At least to me .

I know when it is done when its a little pliable , and not at all mushy .  Don't cook it until its hard or crispy. 

Put it into a brown paper bag to cool and store , it will then get a little firmer. 

I can't keep the wife off of this stuff !      I am starting to think that I need to rub myself down in the leftover  marinade  for some better lovin'  in the evening ; )

Tell me what you think of it . Its almost edible.

BOW

#2 montana13

montana13

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 09:38 PM

Sounds good, except for the rub down step. I will have to try it. Any photos of the finished product?

#3 snoopdogg

snoopdogg

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1276 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 06:19 AM

You're killing me with the rub down-ha!
Any day in the outdoors is a damn good day.

#4 hatchet1

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13372 posts
  • Interests:Clowning fatboy & his offspring!!!

Posted 29 January 2018 - 07:14 AM

As long as I can use it on the duck I shot this year...I'm in.

"REMINDING CALIFORNIANS THAT "MAN" IS THE ULTIMATE PREDATOR..NOT SILLY MOUNTAIN LIONS....."

" in memory of cecil the lion & P-32..never forget"

#5 Bigolwiggler

Bigolwiggler

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:09 PM

Someone asked for a pic of the finished product ....here is what is left of it ....the wife put a dent in it ....well so did I .....well it just looks like regular ol' jerky to me , but I like how it tastes . Also , here is the smoker that I slapped together from an old commercial fridge I found on craigslist .    I mostly use it for smoking salmon .

BOW 

Attached Files

#6 Bigolwiggler

Bigolwiggler

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:15 PM

Try the leftover rub down part also  ,  it worked for me last night  ; )     She said I was a little bit too chewy though .    I'm like an old jack rabbit ........ I know.  

BOW

#7 snoopdogg

snoopdogg

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1276 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 06:12 AM

Dude, your DIY projects are bad-ass.

#8 Nimrod

Nimrod

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1032 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 01:47 PM

Looks like as great recipe! Looks very similar to what I use although I have not tried the A-1 or worchester sauce. I like to add brown sugar and/or honey to sweeten it a bit and then dust the meat with coarse black pepper and/or crushed red pepper when it is laid out on the smoker racks and still slightly moist. Yoshida's is the bomb! I use it to marinate steaks and add it to the ground beef when I make hamburgers.

Cush was the father of Nimrod, who grew to be a mighty warrior on the earth. He was a mighty hunter before the LORD; that is why it is said,"like Nimrod, a mighty hunter before the LORD." ....................... -Genesis 10:8-9

#9 boarcrz

boarcrz

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 05:43 PM

Thanks for the recipe.  I also like the smoker idea too.

#10 Bigolwiggler

Bigolwiggler

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 06:25 PM

Nimrod .  Yashidas adds the little  sweet that I like..... just like brown sugar or honey would.  Either works  .   I think Yashidas has a bit of ginger too which is nice .   Worchester adds some twang .  Yours  sounds  like about the same recipe that I  like .   Youre a man of good taste  ; )     Good grub is always good  : )

Brett

#11 Bigolwiggler

Bigolwiggler

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:03 PM

Awwww Snoop .   I just whip stuff together and sometimes it works  ; )      Its mostly about just gettin' meat in the ice box. Sometimes it works. Other times   my ribs are showing by springtime. lol.

Bow

#12 snoopdogg

snoopdogg

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1276 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 06:08 AM

Who's, your ribs or the deer and bear you keep smokin' and smoking!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users