18 replies to this topic

#1 hawg382

hawg382

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:07 AM

It’s been a awhile since I’ve had a hunt like today! Had big groups of birds flying today, wind blowing 15-20, was home by 9am only shot 9 shells so can’t complain!! Needed one bird when 20-25 mallards and gadwall come in cupped up picked out a drake shot once, dropped him, and watched the rest fly away!! Only 2 1/2 weeks left of the season sucks it goes by fast!! Gunner loves this more than I do the things he does are simply awesome to see!! Very few ducks get away when he’s after them! Enjoy the pics...

Attached File  AAACE737-AE72-4970-876E-0D695BA5570C.jpeg   331.38KB   1 downloads Attached File  C490D0A1-29BB-439A-A94D-794A715831A8.jpeg   591.93KB   0 downloads Attached File  A9307BE5-B621-4D51-B946-64A03E27828C.jpeg   229.64KB   2 downloads
Samatis Baits Pro Staff

#2 Old Quack 49

Old Quack 49

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • Interests:obviously waterfowling , upland , fishing , baseball , family (not necessarily after all the previous) , people of integrity

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:51 AM

Darn dog puts me to shame ! Quite a few get away when I shoot 🤗 , Old Quack 49

#3 nicapopolis

nicapopolis

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,825 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:35 AM

Good job, as usual.

#4 chessie

chessie

Guide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:50 AM

You're boring me with limits of quality birds... :smiley-yawn-pink:   Shoot a spoony will ya!

#5 John Segoria

John Segoria

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:53 AM

I swear that dog looks annoyed with the picture deal. Do you have to threaten him like I do with labs?

John

#6 hawg382

hawg382

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:10 PM

You're boring me with limits of quality birds... :smiley-yawn-pink:   Shoot a spoony will ya!

Matt I haven’t seen a spoony all year!! Don’t get to many around here but if I do see one I will shoot one for you! Lol
Samatis Baits Pro Staff

#7 hawg382

hawg382

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:15 PM

I swear that dog looks annoyed with the picture deal. Do you have to threaten him like I do with labs?
John

LOL!! No I don’t have to threaten him he already knows what to do and don’t know why he does this. He probably is annoyed cause he’s like I retrieve birds don’t care about pictures!!
Samatis Baits Pro Staff

#8 duck-boy

duck-boy

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping, the outdoors, photography

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:50 PM

Nice strap! Glad someone is getting them. I surely am not.

#9 Crimson Crusher

Crimson Crusher

Fredthegad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,235 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl and deer hunting and pig hunting and quail hunting and chuckar hunting dove i can take or leave but it's still hunting Fishing yes, what ever I can catch

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:10 PM

The dogs a stud, and I think he likes takin the pics, I shure as hell enjoy them.

AKA FredtheGad

Some folks are like seagulls. All they do is eat sqawk and $hit, and are protected by our goverment!

#10 Cazador Suerte

Cazador Suerte

Lucky Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:35 PM

great results and photos.....you have got that duck thing figured out well....and doesnt ever seem to be any other hunters or shooters!

Thanks for sharing....always enjoy your reports.

#11 John Segoria

John Segoria

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:04 PM

You guys do really pull out some nice ducks. Remind me, do you hunt the early Teal season? Curious about your Blue Wing numbers.

John

#12 hawg382

hawg382

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:37 PM

great results and photos.....you have got that duck thing figured out well....and doesnt ever seem to be any other hunters or shooters!

Thanks for sharing....always enjoy your reports.

I’m glad you guys like my posts/pics!! I hunt a big lake, Lake Ray Roberts, which is a public hunting lake. You can hunt by boat or walk in, I walk in. I’ve been out here for 9 years now and have quite a few different areas on the lake to hunt. This year is the first year I’ve hunted one spot exclusively! I found this spot 4-5 years ago and it’s a little more than a mile walk to get there. Most duck hunters out here don’t walk that far to hunt, I do it to get away from others!! Now I do have a couple friends I take out but they aren’t as die hard as me so they only go a few times a year! I do build a blind and always look for shells or other footprints when I hunt to see if anyone has been there. The only guys that usually do are boaters but if the wind is blowing or is freezing they can’t/shouldn’t be on the water!! Now there are others out there just not close to me but they’re shots do flair the ducks. I’ve had guys wait for me at the parking area to see how I did and ask where I was, I don’t tell!!! I walk in through the woods and if other hunters are out I don’t use my head lamp, I’ll walk in in the dark, so they can’t see where/how I go!! Duck hunters out here are scandalous if they know where you are hunting and your killing them they will do they’re best to try to find your spot so they can hunt it!! I’ve befriended a few guys I met at the parking area, showed them some spots next thing I know they are taking their friends so now I hunt mostly solo!! Won’t ever do that again! I work/scout hard to find birds every year cause they might not like this spot next year.

Blind I built at the beginning of the season and just add to it throughout the year....
Attached File  D81E7F86-097F-4486-A2CD-E6453D507CA4.jpeg   244.01KB   0 downloads
Samatis Baits Pro Staff

#13 hawg382

hawg382

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:44 PM

You guys do really pull out some nice ducks. Remind me, do you hunt the early Teal season? Curious about your Blue Wing numbers.
John

I never have hunted early teal just because it’s still hot in September and I’m still bass fishing. Fall is really good when the bass are backs of the creeks feeding on shad!! Plus you might find teal one day and they are gone the next!! East and south Texas are usually better but that’s a long drive from where I live!!
Samatis Baits Pro Staff

#14 chessie

chessie

Guide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:44 PM

Blind I built at the beginning of the season and just add to it throughout the year....

Do you throw your blind material in the water after the hunt?

#15 hawg382

hawg382

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:50 PM

Do you throw your blind material in the water after the hunt?

No I stash it in the woods and rebuild it each hunt depending on the wind direction! Plus your supposed to tear it down after each hunt but hunters never do. I do so no one can benefit for my hard work!! It doesn’t take long then I don’t have to sit there a long time before LST.
Samatis Baits Pro Staff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users