• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 outdoorplay

outdoorplay

Founder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,744 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:22 PM

Wow, well I finally made it home, been home all of 6 days of the month of November.

This trip was like no other as this trip I dedicated to one of my friends. Now don't get me wrong it was my annual trip that I do each year to Co for the 3rd season, But this year a long time friend of mine, that I have been hunting with for years. Got Diagnosed with lung cancer 6 months prior to our trip and had his 5th Lumbar removed the mass was the size of an avocado.

It was unbelievable that he was even able to make it let alone breathe at 9,000 to 14000 foot of elevation.  now I spent most of my time watching over my friend and Mikey as altitude also highly affect Mikey's Type one Diabetes. Knowing that we had a lot of challenges ahead of us as hiking would be very limited. So the prayer that I prayed before we left was that we Made some great memories and hopefully get Mikeys his first deer, which I am happy to say we were successful in.

Attached File  KIMG0441.jpg   163.78KB   1 downloads

Attached File  KIMG0437.jpg   150.95KB   1 downloads

Attached File  KIMG0442.jpg   311.02KB   1 downloads

Well you know me I’m not one for big write-ups but I do like pictures so I will just write a little about each one of them

so the first ones are of Jeff and I and Mikey and me on our hike out of the river bottom.

Mikey was wiped out after the first day of hiking

Attached File  KIMG0443.jpg   153.09KB   1 downloads

we looked all over for the elk this one was taken at 14,000 feet 

Attached File  KIMG0459.jpg   89.88KB   1 downloadsAttached File  KIMG0444.jpg   177.17KB   2 downloadsAttached File  KIMG0456.jpg   129.4KB   1 downloads

found this old mine way up there Attached File  KIMG0457.jpg   236.76KB   1 downloads

I did get the job done on this nice 3x4 Attached File  KIMG0502.jpg   287.27KB   2 downloads

Made mikey hike it out. Attached File  KIMG0480.jpg   465.75KB   1 downloads 

but the next day he does get his own 3x4... Attached File  KIMG0493.jpg   104.34KB   1 downloads

Attached File  KIMG0479.jpg   243.45KB   1 downloadsha look at that an elk... my buddy Kurt got a nice little 4x but way better than the one I got.... paper suck even in soup

we did look high and low Attached File  KIMG0536.jpg   141.48KB   2 downloads

my buddy Jeff with the relaxing sat Attached File  KIMG0481.jpg   197.43KB   1 downloads 

ok so after 8 days of no elk it is now time to go home...... but the truck had other plans Attached File  KIMG0549.jpg   131.94KB   2 downloadsAttached File  KIMG0548.jpg   147.98KB   1 downloads

so when life says your not done making memories you go and make some more 

Attached Files

it is my intent to do what is best for TOF, my bed side manners suck and for that I am sorry.
I am blunt and to the point and I do not have the ability to sugar coat it to save your fillings, So really if I tell you stop pissing on the carpet, just knock it off, man up and don't puff up carry on like soap opera. the rules here are really light so man up.

Some have asked way do you put up with all the crap some put me through. and this is it
I am tired of big business just taking form us outdoorsmen. most of the product is defective and does not work as stated. bottom line if there product sucks I want ever outdoorsmen to know about.

All I ask is support those that support you, this place is about real unpaid information, its real outdoorsmen not paid to say something outdoorsmen.........

#2 outdoorplay

outdoorplay

Founder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,744 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:31 PM

well on the trip my buddy says he has never shot a turkey so I said when we get home unpack your elk gear and pack up for a week and I'll take you to get a turkey........... 

so he brought his whole family and it was so much fun having them all there and yes we did get him his first turkeyAttached File  FB_IMG_1511407357059.jpg   131.68KB   1 downloadsAttached File  KIMG0559.jpg   222.19KB   1 downloads  

Mikey and me even got to shot some and I was lucky enough to hit a new record for myself 12" beard with over 1" spurs Attached File  KIMG0567.jpg   146.21KB   0 downloadsAttached File  KIMG0569.jpg   192.22KB   0 downloadsAttached File  KIMG0568.jpg   149.53KB   0 downloads

I stopped by uppers on the way and picked up some of the best firewood,

ok we don't allow advertising here, but if you want some wood our friend Upper custom cuts lumber (he has a Mill) so before you buy wood from the store pm him your sizes and get a price.............. he also has firewood........ this is the end of my Upper's public service announcement Attached File  KIMG0562.jpg   207.91KB   0 downloads Attached File  KIMG0555.jpg   87.56KB   0 downloadsAttached File  KIMG0572.jpg   155.05KB   0 downloadsAttached File  KIMG0573.jpg   160.48KB   0 downloads

it is my intent to do what is best for TOF, my bed side manners suck and for that I am sorry.
I am blunt and to the point and I do not have the ability to sugar coat it to save your fillings, So really if I tell you stop pissing on the carpet, just knock it off, man up and don't puff up carry on like soap opera. the rules here are really light so man up.

Some have asked way do you put up with all the crap some put me through. and this is it
I am tired of big business just taking form us outdoorsmen. most of the product is defective and does not work as stated. bottom line if there product sucks I want ever outdoorsmen to know about.

All I ask is support those that support you, this place is about real unpaid information, its real outdoorsmen not paid to say something outdoorsmen.........

#3 GUNDOGLOVER

GUNDOGLOVER

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping and a beer now and now

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:24 AM

Wow Mike, looks like you guys did it all on that trip. Very happy for Mikey, you are giving him memories he will cherish the rest of his life. Glad you had a very successful trip, congratulations to all involved. Hoping the best for your friend. 

#4 hatchet1

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,538 posts
  • Interests:Clowning fatboy & his offspring!!!

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:38 AM

That's great stuff mikey!!! strong work all around!!! and a hell ya to little mikey!! hell of a buck!

"REMINDING CALIFORNIANS THAT "MAN" IS THE ULTIMATE PREDATOR..NOT SILLY MOUNTAIN LIONS....."

" in memory of cecil the lion & P-32..never forget"

#5 ofdscooby

ofdscooby

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:56 AM

Nice job what happened to the truck what was the diagnosis.
There is such a thing as a "dumb question" use the brain God gave you and try to figure it out you'll be a better person for it and you'll learn more

#6 outdoorplay

outdoorplay

Founder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,744 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:22 AM

That's great stuff mikey!!! strong work all around!!! and a hell ya to little mikey!! hell of a buck!

thanks, Funny story, so he is set up and the deer stopped and gave him a shot and I am setting there like shoot already......... No really shoot....... then the deer turns and starts to run.

just as I'm saying don't shoot... he pulls the trigger and drops it like a rock...

I was shocked but perfect shot placement and we did not have to search for it as it was where it dropped 

Attached Files

#7 hatchet1

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,538 posts
  • Interests:Clowning fatboy & his offspring!!!

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:26 AM

Thats the way we like it!! Pretty cape on that buck...you you face him and save it?

"REMINDING CALIFORNIANS THAT "MAN" IS THE ULTIMATE PREDATOR..NOT SILLY MOUNTAIN LIONS....."

" in memory of cecil the lion & P-32..never forget"

#8 outdoorplay

outdoorplay

Founder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,744 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:28 AM

Nice job what happened to the truck what was the diagnosis.

at 200,117 miles the EGR Cooler gave out, so had to replace it and the oil cooler as well so got to stay an extra 5 days, but did get in some great fishing 

Attached Files

#9 MAG1

MAG1

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:HUNTING FISHING
    AND RAISING 4
    DAUGHTERS

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:56 AM

Was that the season of hunts, WOW . Life time right there. Looks like a great time, and GONGRATS to MIKEY. 

#10 socal duckie

socal duckie

2014 will be the year!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,017 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:10 AM

Very cool

STAND UP FOR WHAT YOU BELIEVE IN! DON'T JUST TALK THE TALK....DO SOMETHING!

#11 Skeet

Skeet

buck feaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,574 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:38 AM

Great memories there congrats

I came in this world with nothing and thankfully still have most of it left

I'm not lost I'm just scouting

Brutus the best friend a man could ever have dreamed of. You will be missed more than I can describe. Until we meet again in those happy hunting grounds rest in peace 4/23/96 - 10/05/09

B dog 04/03/2004-12/12/2016
I like big ducks and I cannot lie!!!!

#12 Hogskin

Hogskin

My style is impetuous, my defenses impregnable.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 01:19 PM

Great trip!  :beer-toast:

Good lookin' people, they got no spine.

#13 amadorhunter

amadorhunter

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Fishing

Posted 30 November 2017 - 01:36 PM

Great pictures and memories made, outstanding.

#14 DKScott

DKScott

EWB

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,742 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 01:37 PM

Another great trip Mikey

Adopt me?

"One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am - a reluctant enthusiast....a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it's still here. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, the lovely, mysterious, and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much; I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those desk-bound men and women with their hearts in a safe deposit box, and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this; You will outlive the bastards."
― Edward Abbey

#15 GUNDOGLOVER

GUNDOGLOVER

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping and a beer now and now

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:53 PM

Sorry DK, he's already adopted me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users