No luck...yet.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Pulaski

Pulaski

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 01:50 PM

As some of you might know, I am new to land hunting have been meaning to get out in the woods for quite a few years now. I managed to go out by myself at the last day of deer season (rifle) and it was a great opportunity,I did not see any dear but found and followed some fresh tracks.

During the Thanksgiving break I went out three times looking for quail and a rabbit. First time I went alone and then once with my not so hunting dog, and yesterday (Sunday), I had the best day with my son out in the woods. He has been doing some hikes with me to get ready and was really exited to actually go hunt.

We did not bag anything but saw a couple of rabbits, a couple of quails (near the campground) and spooked a doe near a water guzzler we found by mistake...the doe showed it to us.

Im having a great time figuring this whole thing out and can't wait to come home with some meat...i have been reading through the old posts learning as much as possible so it was nice to try and apply it all in the field.

Marcelo

Edited to fix some of my grammar

Attached Files

Edited by Pulaski, 27 November 2017 - 02:37 PM.

#2 sierrahunter1

sierrahunter1

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 02:30 PM

Keep at it!

#3 ivhunter

ivhunter

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 03:24 PM

Good Luck sir, it's always an extra bonus when you bag something.  cool looking dog, my only "hunting dog" I had was a yellow lab mix with terrier and he was a workhorse with no giving up. I miss that dog.

#4 ilovesprig

ilovesprig

"Custom"

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,226 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing

Posted 27 November 2017 - 04:17 PM

Marcello,

Welcome to TOF.....Hang in there and ask lots of questions.....There's some great guys on here that will help you out.

Once you start finding game, you'll like it even more.....Your son will love these experiences for years to come.

San Diego County Fish and Wildlife Commissioner
"Friends of Wister" Volunteer
CWA Life Member

"Take'em sounds alot like gun fire" (Lujack... circa: 1998)

"Hey, I got my Limit" (Lujack...circa:2007)

#5 Pulaski

Pulaski

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 05:16 PM

Good Luck sir, it's always an extra bonus when you bag something.  cool looking dog, my only "hunting dog" I had was a yellow lab mix with terrier and he was a workhorse with no giving up. I miss that dog.

I know its just a matter of time until i bring something home...besides a burger. Honey bun, the dog is a goof ball, she loves being out in the brush and chase lizards. 

#6 Pulaski

Pulaski

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 05:19 PM

Marcello,

Welcome to TOF.....Hang in there and ask lots of questions.....There's some great guys on here that will help you out.

Once you start finding game, you'll like it even more.....Your son will love these experiences for years to come.

Thank you. I'll start asking you guys soon, don't worry.  :smiley-yellow:

My kid (and I) have been really enjoying this experience. 

#7 Nimrod

Nimrod

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 05:18 PM

Good job! Looks like every one is having a great time and smiling from ear to ear...even the dog!

Cush was the father of Nimrod, who grew to be a mighty warrior on the earth. He was a mighty hunter before the LORD; that is why it is said,"like Nimrod, a mighty hunter before the LORD." ....................... -Genesis 10:8-9

#8 socal duckie

socal duckie

2014 will be the year!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,017 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:12 AM

It’s all about the smiles!!

STAND UP FOR WHAT YOU BELIEVE IN! DON'T JUST TALK THE TALK....DO SOMETHING!

#9 Zach

Zach

Comedian in training, at least on the internet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:46 AM

Nice job getting out there.

Keep the guzzler in mind, everybody has to drink.

#10 Pulaski

Pulaski

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 03:24 PM

Nice job getting out there.

Keep the guzzler in mind, everybody has to drink.

It was a nice find. I had checked the area with google earth and saw a couple guzzlers that we checked around but did not see any life... probably need better technique. I did mark them down on my map so i can check on the area again at a later time.

#11 Pulaski

Pulaski

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:57 AM

We went out this past sunday again. 

What a great day out with my son...we scouted new places, practiced glassing, found an antler and even took a couple of shots. No game came home with us but we are getting closer.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users