37 replies to this topic

#1 ofdscooby

ofdscooby

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:14 PM

Well I don’t know where to start it’s been a long day. Landed yesterday at the airport here in San Diego. Went home packed my stuff and headed off to Arizon and got into the desert late and made camp. Before first lite I made some coffee and eggs and set out for a little stroll. Found a high point and did the glassing thing. Just about when I thought there was no way I could do a repeat for this tag and grab another buck. A herd of deer came moving up through the wash. I wasn’t going to shoot a buck unless it was a pretty decent one since I scored last time I was here. Sure enough a nice deer cane cruising up he had mass and I decided to go for it.

Here’s where things went side ways while breaking down the deer I plunged my knife right into the bottom of my quadriceps just above my knee. I stayed calm and tried to figure out what to do I wasn’t that far away from my truck and it wasn’t bleeding bad but it hurt. I called AZ’s 1800 game thief since the field office was closed and they hooked me up with a guy. I dropped him a pin and the wait started. A couple hours later he showed up and brought a guy with a Jeep he had seen on the way out. I got a ride back to the truck and they helped me break camp. Drove myself to a hospital bedding all over my floor mats and checked myself in.
I just got out of surgery aoently I nicked the tendon that hold my quad and punctured the joint tissue. They needed to get in here and do a really good cleaning. So I bought myself a night at the hospital. Nothing in life is easy and when you think it is “Bam”you get a reminder. I ‘m done with replaceable blade knives I’m going back to the old school.

Attached Files

There is such a thing as a "dumb question" use the brain God gave you and try to figure it out you'll be a better person for it and you'll learn more

#2 nicapopolis

nicapopolis

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,620 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:46 PM

Great buck.

It seems that these leg stab stories are all too common.

#3 Arrowslinger

Arrowslinger

Animal lover!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 08:17 PM

Great buck! And only idiots stab them selves, we have matching scars.

Big game hunter!

#4 Wister Junkie

Wister Junkie

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 08:23 PM

Great buck! Sucks about your leg, hope you heal quickly

#5 SaltonSeadog

SaltonSeadog

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 08:53 PM

Great buck.
It seems that these leg stab stories are all too common.

Amen.

#6 Cazador Suerte

Cazador Suerte

Lucky Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:05 PM

Ouch. Hope it heals quickly.

#7 El Maton

El Maton

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:58 PM

Something to talk about over the camp fire foo shoo! Glad you didn't bleed to death!  :smiley-thumbs-up-aqua:

#8 socal duckie

socal duckie

2014 will be the year!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,003 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 12:07 AM

###### ouch!!

STAND UP FOR WHAT YOU BELIEVE IN! DON'T JUST TALK THE TALK....DO SOMETHING!

#9 TheGDog

TheGDog

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 12:57 AM

Hehe, I'm just glad I learned my lesson without going deep across the back of my index finger.  Did you finish processing that fine specimen? How far was the shot?

"None of us was born knowing ANY of this. If someone else can do it, You can TOO!" - TheGDog.

"The wise man can learn from even the fool." - TheGDog

"Life is like a big sh*t sandwich, the more "bread" ya got, the less sh*t ya have to eat." 

#10 ofdscooby

ofdscooby

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 03:58 AM

I got half the deer done and I let the game warden that helped me take the other half for whatever they do with it. Shot was only a couple hundred yards.
There is such a thing as a "dumb question" use the brain God gave you and try to figure it out you'll be a better person for it and you'll learn more

#11 TonyS

TonyS

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 06:59 AM

Sorry to hear of your injury.  But thanks for settling the question of 'should I buy one of those knifes".  Heal up!

#12 BOWUNTR

BOWUNTR

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:51 AM

Bummer... Congrats on another buck. Stories like this usually involve a fireman... Ed F

#13 BOWUNTR

BOWUNTR

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:53 AM

What does this have to do with an elk tag? Ed F

#14 ofdscooby

ofdscooby

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:04 AM

Elk tag in in two weeks doc says it will be 4-6 weeks before I could get back to solid physical activity but I’ll play it by ear.

#15 ofdscooby

ofdscooby

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:05 AM

Bummer... Congrats on another buck. Stories like this usually involve a fireman... Ed F

Yes we are fans of learning the hard way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users