Rattlesnake vaccine

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 labowned

labowned

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:23 PM

I had my setter vaccinated for rattlesnake bite. I was wondering if anyone has done this and then had their dog get bit. What was dogs physical reaction? How much extra time did it buy you to get to the vet? Do you think it saved u money in vet bills? Thanks.

#2 labowned

labowned

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:27 PM

Had my dog vaccinated for rattlesnake bite. Has anyone got this done and then had their dog get bit? What was dogs physical reaction? How much time did it buy you to get to the vet? Do you think it saved you money in vet bills? Thanks

#3 duck-boy

duck-boy

Guide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,962 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping, the outdoors, photography

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:35 PM

I don't know much about the vaccine but i had my pup enrolled in a rattlesnake avoidance class last year pre-season. I took my dog to a handler near Lake Henshaw. Very reasonable, unfortunately i forgot the name. If anyone knows, please post cause i want to go again before i head to wister.

#4 duck-boy

duck-boy

Guide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,962 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping, the outdoors, photography

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:45 PM

Just found then,. Here's the link...
http://www.highonken...ex.php/about-us

#5 GUNDOGLOVER

GUNDOGLOVER

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping and a beer now and now

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:28 AM

Never got it for my GSP's. from what I have been told it will only be effective for a few Months, then you will need boosters. I just carry Benadryl. They are suppose to give you a little extra time to get to a vet. I think all bets are off if it's a Mojave.  

#6 goose gobbler

goose gobbler

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:55 AM

I get my dog vaccinated every year. Last year my dog was bit. Long story short vet said he thinks my pup lived because of the vaccine. My dog was bit in the face. Cheek blew up to the size of a softball. Got him to the vet within a few hours. Didn't see him get bit so didn't go until we saw his face. Did it save money on vet bills? No. Did it save my dog? Think so. Will I do it again? Yes. Hope this helps

#7 DKScott

DKScott

EWB

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,742 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:10 AM

Its Plan B at best. Clinical evidence is sparse, but most vets will tell you (as they sell you the vaccine) that it buys time and potentially a bite will require less antivenin. It does not work on neurotoxins, so it will be less effective against any species with a lot of that in their venom - especially Mojave Greens, but a lot of local subspecies have it in their venom as well.

Get the training, it is effective and not getting bit is the best antidote for snake bite.

"One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am - a reluctant enthusiast....a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it's still here. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, the lovely, mysterious, and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much; I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those desk-bound men and women with their hearts in a safe deposit box, and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this; You will outlive the bastards."
― Edward Abbey

#8 elpatoloco

elpatoloco

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:52 AM

Hi recommend it, I use the Red Rock Vaccine, first time you use it its a 2 shot process spread out by a month, then a booster every year. I too carry Benadryl and anti inflammatory with me because that is what is going to help. I've lost a dog to a snake and have seen recoveries due to vaccines.

#9 meatgetter

meatgetter

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:59 AM

What is the best form of benadryl to carry?  What is the name of the vaccine?  Does anyone know of any snake avoidance classes coming up?

"We interrupt this marriage to bring you the hunting season."

#10 DKScott

DKScott

EWB

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,742 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:02 AM

If you can get injectable benadryl that's best - ask your vet. Also the stuff expires, so you'll need to replace every couple years. There is another med, a steroid I think, that some guys have as an interim emergency treatment. Its prescription only. Otherwise the standard gel caps will work, but are slow. I have used them on my dog when he got into a hornets nest and was stung about a dozen times (in places I don't even want to think about!). Check into the proper dosage for your dog. When I had to give benadryl to my dog, a vet happened to be on hand, so I didn't count them, but it seemed like a lot.

NAVHDA and a lot of the hunter conservation groups host annual rattlesnake avoidance clinics. Its easier to find them than it used to be. Just make sure they are experienced, have references and use live rattlesnakes and shock collars.  Hands down the most effective protection you can give your dog.

"One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am - a reluctant enthusiast....a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it's still here. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, the lovely, mysterious, and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much; I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those desk-bound men and women with their hearts in a safe deposit box, and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this; You will outlive the bastards."
― Edward Abbey

#11 britlab

britlab

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:05 PM

For rattlesnake aversion I use Rusty at WD dog training he is located in Mira Loma and can do training during the week localy alos has several clinics coming up 951-823-6846. I take all of my dogs and clients dogs to him. I like training dogs but hate snakes

#12 DKScott

DKScott

EWB

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,742 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:38 PM

Two identical topics in two forums. Merged and moved to the dog forum for clarity

― Edward Abbey

#13 mjb

mjb

One life don't BLOW IT!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,118 posts
  • Interests:Keeping my freezer full of fur, feathers, fins & shells

Posted 11 October 2017 - 04:42 PM

One of my dogs got a blind bite and lived without a vet visit. She was bit in the paw one fang hit her webbing and the other fang was on the bones of her paw so she didn't get a lot of venom but she couldn't take the vaccine for a year due to the reaction.
I give them the vaccine twice a year to keep the antibodies up just in case I get another blind strike.
In MX we have a Benadryl & cortisone shot to buy time to get to the vet in the US.

Survival really depends on where the dog gets bit. Folds of the skin the dog should be fine. Face or big muscle not going to be cheap.

#14 popx5

popx5

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • Interests:Hunting Fishing Wood Working Camping Hiking Dog Training

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:19 PM

I get the vaccine every year. Thankfully, I have no idea how successful it is because my dog has not been bit.

I have also taken him to two snake avoidance classes. 3 times he has smelled rattlers and avoided them while chukar hunting because of the training. One was a green.

I believe snake avoidance training is the best available deturance for a field dog. The vaccine is additional insurance.

#15 BIGCIM

BIGCIM

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:56 PM

Gents, let me know if you agree.

I think we should have a sticky with people/companies who provide snake avoidance classes. With that we should list their location, contact information and pricing. I believe if this info is readily available more dogs might go through the class and potentially be saved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users