#1 TheGDog

TheGDog

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:08 AM

Good Morning Gents,

I've got a neighbor that told me he drew D6.  Which is Tuolumne and Mariposa.

Just curious if anybody could point this brother in a general direction out in that area, since obviously he doesn't live anywhere near enough to that location to realistically do a few scouting trips ahead of time.

Figured I'd try to do him a solid and ask around on his behalf.

Thank you for your time.

-G

"None of us was born knowing ANY of this. If someone else can do it, You can TOO!" - TheGDog.

"The wise man can learn from even the fool." - TheGDog

"Life is like a big sh*t sandwich, the more "bread" ya got, the less sh*t ya have to eat." 

#2 Hogskin

Hogskin

My style is impetuous, my defenses impregnable.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:42 AM

Not only is the guy too uninterested/uncommitted to do some scouting trips, he actually has his neighbor doing the internet scouting for him.  That's hall of shame material right there.

Good lookin' people, they got no spine.

#3 'Ike'

'Ike'

Road Trip!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,917 posts
  • Interests:BowHunting and chasing Roosters!

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:29 PM

Not only is the guy too uninterested/uncommitted to do some scouting trips, he actually has his neighbor doing the internet scouting for him.  That's hall of shame material right there.

Like, a friend of a friend....

2010 Bowtech Destroyer 340 (HardWoods HD) BlackGold/CBE Sights, RipCord/QAD, CarbonTech, Octane, G5 and 60X Strings...

2016 Elite Energy 32 (Blk/Xtra)

'You mad bro'....

#4 goindeep

goindeep

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts
  • Interests:hunting for BIG bucks

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:24 PM

I heard there's some good bucks in Yosemite, might want to give it a look.
"I've never been lost, but I admit to being confused for a couple weeks" - Daniel Boone

"So long as there is lead in the air, there is hope." - Theodore Roosevelt

"I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often." - Theodore Roosevelt

#5 D12 Tracker

D12 Tracker

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying the outdoors
    Mule deer hunting in the desert.

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:33 PM

I saw them. Lots of them. Big ones.
"Live life like you have the only tag!"

#6 'Ike'

'Ike'

Road Trip!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,917 posts
  • Interests:BowHunting and chasing Roosters!

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:35 PM

I heard there's some good bucks in Yosemite, might want to give it a look.

You can check in and get a pass for that area...

2010 Bowtech Destroyer 340 (HardWoods HD) BlackGold/CBE Sights, RipCord/QAD, CarbonTech, Octane, G5 and 60X Strings...

2016 Elite Energy 32 (Blk/Xtra)

'You mad bro'....

#7 hatchet1

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,164 posts
  • Interests:Clowning fatboy & his offspring!!!

Posted 16 June 2017 - 06:28 PM

Got a good dove spot in that zone..by the big tree..evenings only though..mornings suck monkey dyck.

"REMINDING CALIFORNIANS THAT "MAN" IS THE ULTIMATE PREDATOR..NOT SILLY MOUNTAIN LIONS....."

" in memory of cecil the lion & P-32..never forget"

#8 Ambush

Ambush

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts
  • Interests:hunting, climbing, offroading, beer drinking

Posted 16 June 2017 - 06:42 PM

Got a good dove spot in that zone..by the big tree..evenings only though..mornings suck monkey dyck.

Dude me and three dudes limited out in that spot, sorry you couldn't make it.

#9 way

way

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:09 PM

Best reply in quite a while..... Haha!!!

"caught em slippin!"

"hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side.....kid" - Han Solo

"you better shoot him again!"

#10 TheGDog

TheGDog

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:25 AM

Well... he also has some mobility issues. Dudes younger than me by like 10-15 yrs and already had to have hip surgery just recently.

You will note in the title I sensibly asked for "General" location tips. (Such as "Try around Mt. ???) Knowing full-well ain't nobody gonna give out specifics. We all worked to hard for that.  If you don't wanna help, that's perfectly fine.

But why make the wilfull choice to go and bitch about somebody asking for help?  To talk bad about them?  Have you seen the map?  D6 is not "a stones throw away" from SoCal.  "If you can't say something nice...."

"None of us was born knowing ANY of this. If someone else can do it, You can TOO!" - TheGDog.

"The wise man can learn from even the fool." - TheGDog

"Life is like a big sh*t sandwich, the more "bread" ya got, the less sh*t ya have to eat." 

#11 BOWUNTR

BOWUNTR

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,434 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 09:16 AM

The makings of a good rap song right here... Keep it coming fellas... Ed F

#12 nicapopolis

nicapopolis

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 09:56 AM

Have you seen the map? D6 is not "a stones throw away" from SoCal. "If you can't say something nice...."

Did he happen to tell you why he applied for D6? I would assume he had to have some sort if intel on the unit. Maybe looking at statistics?

I am sure some internet searches will easily pull up some loose lips posts on places where people have had success.

From there he should call the local biologist and/or game warden. Explain his situation and what he is capable of. They should be able to help.

If he can't scout in person I would recommend not applying to D6 in the future and plan to hunt something close to home. Since he will have trouble scouting in person he needs to spend a lot of time on Google earth. Since mobility is an issue I would pick a high probability area and stick with it, for multiple days during the best weather times of the season.

I know nothing about D6, but maybe some general pointers would help the guy.

#13 hatchet1

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,164 posts
  • Interests:Clowning fatboy & his offspring!!!

Posted 17 June 2017 - 10:06 AM

A-ZONE is where I would start.. largest zone in the state..endless opportunities.
And an over the counter tag! I shot a buck there a few years back..plan on going back to the same drainage this season to look for relatives!!

Edited by hatchet1, 17 June 2017 - 10:08 AM.

"REMINDING CALIFORNIANS THAT "MAN" IS THE ULTIMATE PREDATOR..NOT SILLY MOUNTAIN LIONS....."

" in memory of cecil the lion & P-32..never forget"

#14 Ambush

Ambush

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts
  • Interests:hunting, climbing, offroading, beer drinking

Posted 17 June 2017 - 11:07 AM

I'd hunt the golf course!

#15 sierrahunter1

sierrahunter1

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 12:39 PM

Alright, Gdog. I'll throw you a bone, albeit a small one.
Your buddy can pay ~$30 to get a map with productive deer hunting areas denoted in his zone.
Here's a couple key disclaimers: the information is a bit outdated, and is somewhat generalized. There are no X's to mark the spot, for example. Having said this, I met the guy that sells these, and he has done a ton of work contacting biologists and wardens across the State to build the maps. So you're paying for his legwork.
When I first got back into hunting years ago, I purchased one of his maps, and will say that although I've never taken deer in one of his areas, it gave me confidence and somewhere to start. It might be just the nudge he needs to get out. After a few days, he'll learn that it's better to use his nose than the map, but half the battle is getting out.

Here's the website:
https://www.biggamehuntingmaps.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: D6, Mule Deer, draw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users