#16 glass eye

glass eye

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2915 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors and taxidermy

Posted 26 September 2016 - 03:08 PM

On with the show. If this guy could text from the ER so can you.

#17 goindeep

goindeep

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2132 posts
  • Interests:hunting for BIG bucks

Posted 26 September 2016 - 03:57 PM

After a successfull opening weekend of archery season I decided to take a weekend off from hunting before I ventured back into the high country to look for monster buck. Of course looking for a monster buck is always the plan but is usually more a dream. Little did I know that the next buck I would see, would be the biggest buck I've seen in high country of California.

Attached Files

Edited by goindeep, 26 September 2016 - 03:57 PM.

"I've never been lost, but I admit to being confused for a couple weeks" - Daniel Boone

"So long as there is lead in the air, there is hope." - Theodore Roosevelt

"I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often." - Theodore Roosevelt

#18 hatchet1

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13309 posts
  • Interests:Clowning fatboy & his offspring!!!

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:03 PM

Cracking the bottle of brown now...carry on...

"REMINDING CALIFORNIANS THAT "MAN" IS THE ULTIMATE PREDATOR..NOT SILLY MOUNTAIN LIONS....."

" in memory of cecil the lion & P-32..never forget"

#19 goindeep

goindeep

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2132 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:07 PM

For 3 days all I could do was watch him as the winds swirled in every direction making a stalk nearly impossible. In those 3 days he never moved more than 60 yards in a full day and stayed within a 300 yard area for the entire 3 days.

Attached Files

"I've never been lost, but I admit to being confused for a couple weeks" - Daniel Boone

#20 goindeep

goindeep

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2132 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:15 PM

There was only one week left of archery season and I had one day left to hunt. Friday morning I boogied up the mountain as fast as I could, I didn't make it to my glassing spot at first light and guess who I ran into....The forkasaurus! Of course he comes walking by me at 40 yards and I had to pass knowing what was on the other side of the ridge.

Attached Files

#21 goindeep

goindeep

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2132 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:19 PM

After snapping a few photos and pressing on I was hoping I made the right decision. After 45 minutes of glassing the big buck appeared from behind some trees right where he had been hanging out the week before. I took pics and got some video before he finally bedded in one of his beds he had used before. Everything was just like the weekend before except that the wind was perfect, time for a stalk!

Attached Files

#22 goindeep

goindeep

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2132 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:25 PM

I know this spot pretty well, it's where I shot my archery buck last year, lots of shale and little cover but doable. Slowly I worked my way in and eventually I was able to get comfortable at 25 yards above him. Wind was steady and my hopes were high, there were some brush and small trees but I felt he would step out in the open enough for me to get a shot. 5 hours later he finally stood up!

Attached Files

#23 goindeep

goindeep

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2132 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:31 PM

Of course, like bucks often do, he did exactly the opposite of what I thought and he slipped away without giving me a opportunity. The good thing though was I didn't spook him and he just moved over to bed #2 which was an impossible stalk so, I cut my losses and headed out and left him on hopes that he wouldn't go far until rifle opener. This is him in bedding spot #2.

Attached Files

#24 goindeep

goindeep

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2132 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:37 PM

It was a long 2 weeks before the rifle opener and I had thought of nearly every possible scenario, good and bad. What a relief it was when we got to our parking spot and there was no one around. We hiked in the dark for 2 hours before setting up camp and getting a little bit of rest. After glassing for 45 minutes I had yet to spot a deer.

Attached Files

#25 goindeep

goindeep

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2132 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:48 PM

Feeling anxious, I moved just a bit to see a little more country, within minutes I found him and his buddy just below bedding spot #3, which just happens to be the best spot for a stalk, what luck! I'm glad I spotted him then because he bedded just after I saw him and he would of been real tuff to find. We waited a little bit and he got up again for a short period and remedied. I knew it was time to make a move! 45 minutes later we crab crawled our way to 200 yards straight across from him. I thought for sure he'd get up soon but he laid there for 3 hours. I could of shot him in his bed but I felt I could get a better shot. When he finally stood up, it was like he had a play book on how to avoid getting shot, when ever he was broad side he had brush in the way and whenever he was in the open he had his ass to me. Slowly he was starting to make his escape! I was starting to get nervous when finally at 220 yards, just before going over a small finger ridge, he paused quartering away to eat his last acorn before the .243 found its mark and he dropped like a sack of potatoes! His little buddy stood around trying to figure out what happened when my buddy decided he wanted some meet for the freezer and down went Frazier for a high country double!!

#26 goindeep

goindeep

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2132 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:51 PM

We gathered up the gear and made our way over. It was like a dream come true.

Attached Files

#27 Skeet

Skeet

buck feaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8923 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:57 PM

Outstanding :smiley_10sign:

I came in this world with nothing and thankfully still have most of it left

I'm not lost I'm just scouting

Brutus the best friend a man could ever have dreamed of. You will be missed more than I can describe. Until we meet again in those happy hunting grounds rest in peace 4/23/96 - 10/05/09

B dog 04/03/2004-12/12/2016
I like big ducks and I cannot lie!!!!

#28 TonyS

TonyS

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 05:06 PM

Awesome horns!  Congrats!

#29 goindeep

goindeep

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2132 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 05:08 PM

We were on cloud 9! What ever that means? Any way, we took some pics and drug them to the nearest shade. We took some more pics and soaked it all in. It was time to get to work, and that's about when the dream turned into a nightmare. After getting my buddies deer cut up it was time for mine. I wanted to keep the Cape in case I felt like I have the space and money to do a mount. Cutting the skin around the shank my havalon slipped and went straight into my inner thigh! I immediately jumped up and applied pressure, I knew it was a bad spot and all I could think was that I hit the artery and I was going to die right there! I stepped around the deer and dropped my pants expecting to see blood squirting from my leg. I thank the almighty that I narrowly missed being a statistic! It was bleeding, but just a deep wound in the muscle. Blood was forming in a pocket trying to form a hematoma, each time I squeezed the old blood out while trying to get it to stop. I layed helpless as my buddy tried packing both bucks back to camp. Finally I had no choice as it was getting late and I had to move. I squeezed out the last pocket of blood, put a guaze on the wound and tied my tee shirt around my leg as tight as I could. I loaded the last pack of meat and the head on My pack and hobbled the mile uphill back to camp. As it turned out, that was the best thing for it as the bleeding stopped and there was minimal clotting. I made a call when we got to camp and my awesome brother called in sick to come with a friend and my nephew to help pack us out the next day.

#30 Arrowslinger

Arrowslinger

Animal lover!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4517 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 05:08 PM

Love it!!!!

Big game hunter!

0 user(s) are reading this topic