#1 mjb

mjb

One life don't BLOW IT!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4228 posts
  • Interests:Keeping my freezer full of fur, feathers, fins & shells

Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:23 AM

Looking for a buddy I have the MSR hyper flow works great and it's small but wanted to see what others are using that's compact.....No straws, tabs or iodine those are backups for the filter.

#2 hatchet1

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13334 posts
  • Interests:Clowning fatboy & his offspring!!!

Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:40 AM

I always have a cooler in my truck mark..cant help you there pal.

"REMINDING CALIFORNIANS THAT "MAN" IS THE ULTIMATE PREDATOR..NOT SILLY MOUNTAIN LIONS....."

" in memory of cecil the lion & P-32..never forget"

#3 Ambush

Ambush

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2302 posts
  • Interests:hunting, climbing, offroading, beer drinking

Posted 17 July 2016 - 11:49 AM

Check the Sawyer squeeze me. Very light and compact. Not so good for very dirty water, clogs quickly with heavily sedimented water and can only be cleaned via back flow with clean water.. Good for clean mountain streams and lakes.

#4 TonyS

TonyS

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:07 PM

Check out katadyn.

#5 JNDEER

JNDEER

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 02:19 PM

I use Katadyn.

I have read a lot about what Ambush has said and he is spot on. Lots like the squeeze, but you better have some clean water to start with.

#6 Ambush

Ambush

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2302 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 05:42 PM

You wont have a problem with fairly clear water. My problem arose at nearly 10,000'. I had packed into my spot and the large bank of snow that was there two weeks before was melted. Had to dig a hole and didn't have a day to let it settle out plus trying to fill a bag without stirring up the hole was impossible. My filter promptly clogged and only got about a half nalgene out of it. It was a dry weekend and lucklly a buddy had some that he could spare after he dropped down 1500' very to a small lake. I pack in heavy there now and cashe water on scouting trips.

Clear water and you can filter a full bag in seconds over and over, faster than any pump.

#7 ilovesprig

ilovesprig

"Custom"

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21416 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing

Posted 17 July 2016 - 05:46 PM

I know this is maybe a stupid question and a little off topic......But as a kid, I spent many hours in the Sierra's with my dad deer hunting & fishing......We rarely ever carried water with us......We drank out of streams & lakes.....Never got sick.....What has changed?

San Diego County Fish and Wildlife Commissioner
"Friends of Wister" Volunteer
CWA Life Member

"Take'em sounds alot like gun fire" (Lujack... circa: 1998)

"Hey, I got my Limit" (Lujack...circa:2007)

#8 Ambush

Ambush

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2302 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 05:59 PM

I done it too and never been sick either. The water from my hole could of been drank staight for certain. The Sawyer is so light if can be carried simply as a emergency failsafe.

#9 mjb

mjb

One life don't BLOW IT!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4228 posts
  • Interests:Keeping my freezer full of fur, feathers, fins & shells

Posted 17 July 2016 - 06:11 PM

Clear running water is a gold mine down here

I've drank plenty of unfiltered water in the sierras all moving and clear

#10 JNDEER

JNDEER

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 06:13 PM

I would think mostly from fear. Way back when many didn't think of brain eating amoeba's in their water supply.

Also with more people in the woods I would suspect this has changed the micro organisms bio diversity which could lead to more problematic organisms found in water that you use to drink. Pure speculation on my part, but there could be some literature on this subject somewhere.

#11 hank4elk

hank4elk

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2282 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,fishing,hiking,anything outdoors,woodworking

Posted 18 July 2016 - 05:31 AM

I have used a MSR for about 15 yrs and it always works with most any water. Cleanable and fairly quick.

New ones are even more efficient. I thought of getting a gravity feed one, but NM does not have much sources for that.

I will still drink from a spring source once in a while and high elevation clear lakes. I used to drink from most anything.

Doing a stint in water quality & management for parks along with work in Sierras community water delivery showed me how easy it is to get e-coli,let alone girardia and other crap. I don't swim in public pools anymore either without a shower right after.LOL

I carry a bunch of my well water in my trucks & when I camp. I find clean water sources to refill.

I have iodine pills in 1st aid kit for back up,but hate them.            Straws would be useless here,IMHO.

#12 TonyS

TonyS

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 07:21 AM

I'm with Hank on this one.  Too many opportunities for idiots upstream to fowl the water.  And e-coli or giradia will definitely take the fun out of your trip.

#13 SDHNTR

SDHNTR

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2893 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 06:54 PM

Pump filters are a pain in the ass! If you must, the Katdyn Hiker is about as compact as it gets, but working that pump for an hour just blows. Get a gravity bag and you'll be glad you did.

#14 TonyS

TonyS

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:04 AM

Pump for an hour?  Are you filling a swimming pool?

#15 SDHNTR

SDHNTR

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2893 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:28 AM

No but with that little Hiker model, filling a collapsible water jug to keep in camp for the duration of the hunt, and a few bottles/bladders can easily take that long.  I prefer to do it once every few days rather than a few times a day.  A gravity bag is much easier.  Let it do its thing while hung in a tree while you are free to set up camp, make dinner, etc. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users