26 replies to this topic

#16 Kalvin

Kalvin

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:50 AM

You asked her if you could go??? Your in the wrong kind of relationship if you have to ask for permission..... just sayin.

Well... She is the responsible side of me.  If it were up to me, I'd be going spearfishing every day (which I try to do anyways), and hunting every weekend.  But then I'd be broke all the time.  I have to keep in mind I am trying to save up for a down payment in 2 years lol.  I still go spearfishing 3 times a week minimum (5 hours each lol).  Well when I'm in Hawaii at least.

Kalvin...even if you don't get the card, at least sign up for the free mileage program. Cost you nothing and after 5 roundtrips you'll have enough for a free AK trip. My wife doesn't have a card and after our next trip to Kauai in May she'll have 10,000 + miles. Soon she'll have a free trip to AK too. She wants to go but not in the winter, don't know why. :smiley-wnk-yellow:

We have the miles from our trip up there in October.  I had guys willing to take me me out and let me kill a bou, a place to stay, vehicles to drive.... but I missed the season by 2 weeks..  Didn't think that one through, clearly.  Do you ever hunt interior Alaska?  I can't imagine why your wife wouldn't want to go up there during the winter!  It can't be any colder than 40, 45 below ...

Edited by Kalvin, 25 March 2014 - 06:57 AM.

#17 sherpa1

sherpa1

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Interests:duck and deer hunting

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:52 AM

Glass Eye, are going to tent it or rent some type of shelter?
JUST DUCKY

#18 glass eye

glass eye

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2915 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors and taxidermy

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:12 AM

Glass Eye, are going to tent it or rent some type of shelter?

Caribou will be the main course and it will be backpacking in and staying there until bou is in the bag. After caribou the remainder of the time will be for waterfowl and ptarmigan. For the bird hunting "we" would rent a house and argo vehicle. I could do the birds from a backpack too but in a group it would be easy to rent and split the cost.

#19 glass eye

glass eye

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2915 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:24 AM

I have a 4 person North Face Himalayan tent and if this trip ends up as a party of 3 or 4 we could divvy up the tent parts and pack it in. If it's only me or a party of 2 than I will go with a 1 person 4 season tent. I have lots of high quality gear for all seasons and I can lend any gear that someone might be lacking.

Attached Files

Edited by glass eye, 25 March 2014 - 09:26 AM.

#20 Zach

Zach

Comedian in training, at least on the internet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2971 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:14 AM

Breck, what is that bird?

That 'bou hunt is on my todo bucket hunt list, someday.  Right now a college tuition is looming.

#21 glass eye

glass eye

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2915 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:42 AM

Breck, what is that bird?

That 'bou hunt is on my todo bucket hunt list, someday.  Right now a college tuition is looming.

It's a Kea.....watch this ...http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ak6omNRd6-g

#22 David Arthurs

David Arthurs

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:10 PM

I just purchased my tickets to Hunt Adak.arriving September 18, 2014 departing September 28.  I Hunted there last year and I planned to do it alone this year unless someone would like to join me.

I plan to see hike over husky pass, past lake constance and up toward Lake Angie.this area has the highest density of caribou from the previous survey.

the weather is bad enough in September, I don't have any desire to go to in November.

you can contact me at:

[email protected] if interested.

#23 glass eye

glass eye

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2915 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:09 PM

David, me and a friend already bought our flights for Sep. 7 - 14

How did your hunt go last year ?

#24 curtmann

curtmann

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 05:49 PM

so how'd it go Glass, I've been following along here since this thread started, any update for us? I've never been to AK, if there's talk of a trip again next year, I'd be interested in lugging part of that tent you mentioned and sharing some of the other costs.

my one question though, if you're packing everything in and knock one down in the first few days, then move on to the birds, where did you store your shot gun, surely you don't pack that in too, do you?

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you". Mat. 6:33
The gov't can't give something to someone that it hasn't first TAKEN from someone else!
hey liberals, we can't lower our standards, so up yours!

#25 glass eye

glass eye

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2915 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:26 PM

curtmann, click these links.

http://www.theoutdoo...79-strandeddoh/

http://www.theoutdoo...n-alaska-video/

God willing I'll be going back at it again next fall, but a little later ( early October ) to avoid the fog. And a little longer than a week to anticipate delays.

#26 BOWUNTR

BOWUNTR

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3990 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 10:00 PM

I don't know how I missed this... What a great adventure! I love Alaska. Going back next year for caribou and the next for moose. Ed F

#27 glass eye

glass eye

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2915 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 07:51 AM

I hear ya Ed.......I'm hooked too. Planning round 2 for caribou on Adak next fall and this November I'm going to apply for spring 2016 black bear on POW.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users