#31 upper

upper

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2629 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:23 AM

Great write up so far Josh.

Maybe once you make your selection you can post the best to worst and prices just for comparison for those of us that are still using mid-grade glass.

What day are you going back to Reno ?

piss off.  go suck start a shotgun.  Nobody cares what you think old man.

Anyone rember the old "Ted Williams" shotgun with the dial-a-choke?I think Clydes girlefriend is posting for him..................Upper

#32 DKScott

DKScott

EWB

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14992 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:35 AM

I don't think Clyde's girlfriend is relevant to this this thread.

To your point (not that it is relevant to a thread about optics either), I remember the polychoke - or as we used to call them "dial-a-duck" chokes

"One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am - a reluctant enthusiast....a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it's still here. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, the lovely, mysterious, and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much; I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those desk-bound men and women with their hearts in a safe deposit box, and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this; You will outlive the bastards."
― Edward Abbey

#33 SCREWLOOSE

SCREWLOOSE

Guide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1845 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:34 AM

I didn't reply to Clyde here as to not spoil JNDEER's thread.

As to his comment about being old, yes I'm getting older and it has changed my vision enough that mid-grade glass is not really helping me much. This past G1 season was pretty difficult picking out flat tops from Forkies at anything over 400 yards.
Fins for breakfast, Feathers for lunch and Fur for dinner. A well balanced diet...

You are not raising a BOY, you are raising a MAN. DO NOT let society tell you otherwise!!!

A co-worked asked why I wanted to kill a deer. I said "because they won't stay on the BBQ if I don't kill them first"

Patience is the Virtue that carry's a lot of wait.

PROUDLY SENT TO THE BANNED CAMP BY THE Captain Kangaroo!

#34 JNDEER

JNDEER

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3669 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:28 PM

G- that was the issue I was having at last light. $1k glass would fix that issue based on what I am seeing with these and the bucks. I say $1k, but have seen the meopta meostar HD for $850 on eBay. The razors can be had for $900 used or $995 new on eBay.

I would give them a whirl first.

I will have them this week. I am on mornings so if you wanted to come down to Fairfield in the evening we could meet up at the area I glass and you can give them a look over. Shoot me a pm if that works for you.

#35 upper

upper

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2629 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:48 PM

G- that was the issue I was having at last light. $1k glass would fix that issue based on what I am seeing with these and the bucks. I say $1k, but have seen the meopta meostar HD for $850 on eBay. The razors can be had for $900 used or $995 new on eBay.

I would give them a whirl first.

I will have them this week. I am on mornings so if you wanted to come down to Fairfield in the evening we could meet up at the area I glass and you can give them a look over. Shoot me a pm if that works for you.

Again,nicely done JNDEER....................Upper

#36 outdoorplay

outdoorplay

Founder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16058 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:25 AM

JNDEER I have to say one of the best independent comparisons I have seen. Talk about first rate. :1:

it is my intent to do what is best for TOF, my bed side manners suck and for that I am sorry.
I am blunt and to the point and I do not have the ability to sugar coat it to save your fillings, So really if I tell you stop pissing on the carpet, just knock it off, man up and don't puff up carry on like soap opera. the rules here are really light so man up.

Some have asked way do you put up with all the crap some put me through. and this is it
I am tired of big business just taking form us outdoorsmen. most of the product is defective and does not work as stated. bottom line if there product sucks I want ever outdoorsmen to know about.

All I ask is support those that support you, this place is about real unpaid information, its real outdoorsmen not paid to say something outdoorsmen.........

#37 JNDEER

JNDEER

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3669 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:40 PM

Here are some final thoughts on this long winded review. It is clear there is a jump in the optical performance between a $300-$600, $900-$1200 and the $2k binocular. For some the differences will not justify the means, but for others it will. We all have differences not only in vision, in our hunting styles and the total days afield hunting and these are what I feel will make the difference in binocular choice. There are huge jumps in not only the optical performance but ergonomics of the binoculars from the $500 to the $1000 binocular. If I were to look at upgrading and could not justify or afford a $2k binocular I would be trying to get my hands on as many of the mid-range (greater than $700) binoculars I could. The jump is so great that I would not be wasting my time with the lower end binoculars. I saw better edge to edge clarity and better brighter sharper images not only during the daylight but during low light as well. Testing in stores, outside of stores and even in your neighborhood will NOT produce the same results as what you will be seeing in the field hunting unless you’re an optic expert, IMO. I changed my top end binocular choice in every viewing location until I finally settled on what is best for my hunting terrain and conditions. The binoculars I choose are the SLC HD’s and I can honestly say that I do not think I will ever need to upgrade them again.

#38 SCREWLOOSE

SCREWLOOSE

Guide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1845 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:16 PM

Nice Josh.

I missed the part about checking them out last week. My loss !!

Would have loved to see what some quality bino's can do.
Fins for breakfast, Feathers for lunch and Fur for dinner. A well balanced diet...

You are not raising a BOY, you are raising a MAN. DO NOT let society tell you otherwise!!!

A co-worked asked why I wanted to kill a deer. I said "because they won't stay on the BBQ if I don't kill them first"

Patience is the Virtue that carry's a lot of wait.

PROUDLY SENT TO THE BANNED CAMP BY THE Captain Kangaroo!

#39 JNDEER

JNDEER

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3669 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:40 PM

Sorry. I was goin to send you a PM, but then I decided to go on the hog hunt and do the broadhead shoot.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

#40 socal duckie

socal duckie

2014 will be the year!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14195 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:31 AM

Great read!!!

STAND UP FOR WHAT YOU BELIEVE IN! DON'T JUST TALK THE TALK....DO SOMETHING!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users