Photo

My hunting season just got a little wierd...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 db 183

db 183

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • Location:D3-5, Grizzly Island and various other outdoor locations
  • Interests:Duck, deer and wild hog hunting. Light tackle fishing.

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:24 PM

I was slated to hunt the entire opening week of D3 (as usual) but with starting a new job, there is some mandatory "stuff" I need to be in the office for that week. So instead, I am going up 3 days early, I will get some mountain quail shooting and some trout fishing in. I am hunting opening weekend coming home Monday night. I work Tues, Wed, Thursday. Then on Friday, I have a fully catered shark fishing trip that I was the high bidder on at the Rodeo-Crockett CWA dinner. After the trip, I am driving back up to Jackson Meadows and hunting the second weekend of the season.

It is going to be a crazy week for sure...from camo to suit and tie to fishing attire back to camo again...

#2 onyertoes

onyertoes

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 170 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:27 PM

well use lemon to rid the smell or you'll be baiting..hehe

#3 hatchet1

hatchet1

100% AMERICAN & LION KILLER!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,075 posts
  • Interests:Clowning fatboy & his offspring!!!

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:06 PM

I THOUGHT JACKSON MEADOWS WAS SHOT OUT... AS WAS BOWMAN LAKE... AHHH..THE GOD OLD DAYS OF PUBLIC LAND D-3 DEER HUNTING...WE NEVER SAW ANOTHER HUMAN....GRANDPA HAD IT MADE FOR SURE!!!

"REMINDING CALIFORNIANS THAT "MAN" IS THE ULTIMATE PREDATOR..NOT SILLY MOUNTAIN LIONS....."

*****AND NEW TEXAS HOMEOWNER!!!!!*****

#4 db 183

db 183

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:30 PM

I THOUGHT JACKSON MEADOWS WAS SHOT OUT... AS WAS BOWMAN LAKE... AHHH..THE GOD OLD DAYS OF PUBLIC LAND D-3 DEER HUNTING...WE NEVER SAW ANOTHER HUMAN....GRANDPA HAD IT MADE FOR SURE!!!

There are still good bucks and good numbers of deer if you know where to look. I have been hunting up there since the mid 90's and have some pretty reliable spots. Also see lots of bears every year. Although you are correct, it isn't like it was when our grandparents were hunting it in the 60's. One guy in my party has been hunting it since Jackson Meadows was a creek and not a reservoir. Lots of big bucks back in those days.

#5 db 183

db 183

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:32 PM

well use lemon to rid the smell or you'll be baiting..hehe

You might be on to something....don't shower and then go bear hunting...and heck, I have always just snuck a rib eye steak into my buddy's pocket (he never could figure out why I always put him out in the open and I sit above him about 75 yards away....lol..I will try the fish bait smell this year and see if that works better.

#6 db 183

db 183

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:55 PM

I also forgot to mention that I have a guided early season goose hunt on the opener October 6th. And since that is with my hog guide....I might be tempted to double down and go for a piggy while I am out there...that is if I don't score on a deer.

#7 hatchet1

hatchet1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,075 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:09 PM

I also forgot to mention that I have a guided early season goose hunt on the opener October 6th. And since that is with my hog guide....I might be tempted to double down and go for a piggy while I am out there...that is if I don't score on a deer.

dude..not to ruffle any down feathers...but i can see using a guide for hogs{cause..um..you know} but a guide for geese?? i get the whole goose on private land.. like rice field, pit thing..but man..a guided goose hunt??

**just yanking your gosling...my uncle has had a goose pit out of gridley for 35 plus years....people pay..he makes a living..**

"REMINDING CALIFORNIANS THAT "MAN" IS THE ULTIMATE PREDATOR..NOT SILLY MOUNTAIN LIONS....."

#8 goindeep

goindeep

Guide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • Interests:hunting for BIG bucks

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:57 PM

I almost stuck a forkie near jackson meadows on labor day weekend, saw a few other bucks too. I wasn't hunting hard, it was more of a camping trip with friends. There are still a few up there. saw a crap load of quail.
"I've never been lost, but I admit to being confused for a couple weeks" - Daniel Boone

"So long as there is lead in the air, there is hope." - Theodore Roosevelt

"I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often." - Theodore Roosevelt

#9 db 183

db 183

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:44 PM

I almost stuck a forkie near jackson meadows on labor day weekend, saw a few other bucks too. I wasn't hunting hard, it was more of a camping trip with friends. There are still a few up there. saw a crap load of quail.

Yeah. I saw a 3 bucks consistently in an area where I set up my blind. I am hoping they are still there opening weekend. I have a good ridgeline scouted out where the deer funnel through to get away from the road hunters. And you are right about the quail, they were EVERYWHERE!

#10 db 183

db 183

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:46 PM

dude..not to ruffle any down feathers...but i can see using a guide for hogs{cause..um..you know} but a guide for geese?? i get the whole goose on private land.. like rice field, pit thing..but man..a guided goose hunt??

**just yanking your gosling...my uncle has had a goose pit out of gridley for 35 plus years....people pay..he makes a living..**

LOL. Well you know...I gotta do what I gotta do...It costs 300 bucks but I am darn near guaranteed a limit and they haul my disabled but out to the blind and back and they do all the dirty work like retrieving and cleaning em after we shoot em so it is worth it....and if a piggie happens by,....well, I will keep my .300 Win Mag close by.

#11 hatchet1

hatchet1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,075 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:54 PM

bro..once again...im just yanking chain..i hope to god you have a great hunt!! post um when you kill um!!!

#12 db 183

db 183

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:33 AM

bro..once again...im just yanking chain..i hope to god you have a great hunt!! post um when you kill um!!!

I know dude. I was laughing as I was replying...

#13 bux-n-dux

bux-n-dux

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:26 AM

Is now a good time to tell all these guys about how to become a member of Team Bonini??

Splash!!!!
"There are two kinds of people in this world Tuco: Those with guns, and those who dig. You dig."

I'm beautiful in my way, cause God makes no mistakes. I'm on the right track baby, I was BORN THIS WAY!!!!!!!

"If that ain't country, I'll kiss your ass."

#14 db 183

db 183

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:30 AM

Is now a good time to tell all these guys about how to become a member of Team Bonini??

Splash!!!!

But when you do splash down, you have to do it in a unique and special way....no points if you just fall in...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users