8 replies to this topic

#1 Arise

Arise

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,222 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 07:25 PM

I was invited to join 5 families for an annual Dirt bike/Quad riding weekend w/ a bunch of Corona Fire Fighters. Since our TOF Coyote Hunt I have been pretty charged up about hunting Varmints so I packed up the trusty 243. I ended up arriving at our camping spot on Friday night about 8:30. Thank God for my GPS, I would have never found them without it & without the moon, it was pitch black.

The “Calling” in a nut shell.... My Borther (Justin) and I ended putting the kids to bed around midnight. Since I did not see the layout when it was light, I really did not know who was camping where. I decided not to bring out the 243. 10 years ago I use to ride this valley & I know that campers/riders are sprawled out all over this place on weekends.

My brother & I decided to go for a hike with a couple flash lights & the varmint call that Evan III (John) gave me. We made two stands that night. Anyways, on a mission, we hiked out far. Beat tired and legs burning we set up our first stand. 20 minutes later into our first stand, zip, nadda, nothing. We hiked another mile or so and hunkered down for our second stand. Less than 10 minutes of calling we both stand up, above the brush, to beam the area & Justin saw a pair of eyes about 50 yards out. It happened so fast I did not see it. This was my first animal I brought in on a call & I was happy but disappointed I did not see it. He told me it darted off within 2 seconds after the light was on him. We continued to circle around our stand w/ the light & we both saw bright, glowing eyes! They were about 18 inches off the ground. This animal was on the opposite side of the stand from where Justin saw the first set of eyes at about 150 yards. This one darted after about 4 seconds. At this time its 2:30 am & we have a 45 minute hike back to camp. We also know that the kids are going to be up at 6 so we hiked back and went to sleep.

The next morning (riding that same area) I was glad I did not bust out my gun the night before. We saw 2 different groups of campers, no more than 400 yards away from the first animal we spotted. Riding through the valley during the day it was hard to get away from campers.

Saturday night, I was beat tired & decided not to hunt.

FYI – I don’t know if the animals were Coyotes, Kit Foxes, or Bob Cats. I have some questions about lighting & identification of the animals. I’ll ask up this week.

Also, we saw many Chuckwallas and attempted to catch them during the day with the kids. No such luck. The suckers are smart and fast! Whenever they are threatened, they sneak into the cracks of huge rocks & gulb air to blow themselves up bigger. You don’t have a chance at catching one w/o hurting one.

Lecerne Valley

Chuckwalles

Attached Files

#2 00BuckShot

00BuckShot

You can have my guns when you rip them from my cold, dead hands.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,016 posts
  • Interests:Flying, Motorsports (Motorcycles, dirt, street and ATV), Watersports, Hunting, camping and fishing

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:00 AM

Nice job Arise...you're hooked now. Calling them in is a blast isn't it? We'll deffinatly have to do that again!
-jd

#3 ESSposse

ESSposse

Marsh Ninja.... Deal with it.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,231 posts
  • Location:Corona, CA. Where men are men and sheep are scared.
  • Interests:Rainbows, Unicorns, and long walks on the beach shooting seagulls.....

Posted 01 May 2006 - 09:16 AM

Kyle and I cruised over to Arise's last night......... the dude was stoked!!!! He's hooked.

TOF: Home to people that ACTUALLY hunt, fish and enjoy the great outdoors.

#4 Evan III

Evan III

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 05:09 PM

Sweet, It sure gets you going when you see those eyes light up.

#5 karstic

karstic

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 09:14 PM

The next morning (riding that same area) I was glad I did not bust out my gun the night before. We saw 2 different groups of campers, no more than 400 yards away from the first animal we spotted. Riding through the valley during the day it was hard to get away from campers.

Thats why Lucerne Valley is a "Shotgun Area Only" area.
It probably played out like this...

Jefferson, Franklin and the rest of the guys were sitting around over multiple rounds of micro-brew ales and said:

Madison: "We need to give people the right to believe what they want, say what they want, print BOTH of those AND get together when they feel like like it!"

[after an up-roarious round of laughter and side holding and breath catching]

Jefferson: "Yeah, right! How long do you think THAT ###### will last?"

Hamilton (after way too many beers for this important a task): "We'll make sure everyone has guns! I'll write it like: ..., blah, blah, etc; the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed... Ah nevermind; I'll write the rest later... Get me another beer!!!" (keep in mind beer steins were about a quart!)

Franklin (lifts his drunken head): "Dude! Philly Meet and Greet!!!!!!"

#6 Arise

Arise

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,222 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 10:19 PM

Very true Karstic & thanks. I was informed of that when I got back from the trip (via TOF'er). I honestly did do a lot of research on the area before I packed up & left, but not enough. I over looked it. I know it's no excuse, but I'm relatively new to Varmint hunting. I'm not new to gun safety. The first post should tell you why I did not break out the gun.

Thanks.

#7 Bishop

Bishop

Guide

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 11:06 PM

Is the line still Highway 58?

For the most part that is the boundary when it comes to the BLM land. But you can shoot rifles in the national forest along 138 east and west of 15.

John Bishop, Commissioner
San Bernardino County
Fish & Game Commission

San Bernardino Co. Shooting Map
http://www.specialdi...x.aspx?page=172
NRA.jpgphoto-thumb-76.jpg

Innovation, Not Intimidation
The Original TOF, accept no pay to play substitutes!

#8 karstic

karstic

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 11:39 PM

Very true Karstic & thanks. I was informed of that when I got back from the trip (via TOF'er). I honestly did do a lot of research on the area before I packed up & left, but not enough. I over looked it. I know it's no excuse, but I'm relatively new to Varmint hunting. I'm not new to gun safety. The first post should tell you why I did not break out the gun.

FYI - The person (TOF'er) who informed me of that did it in a private message, privately. He also told me that he was going to post that information in the Varmint Forum.

Thanks.

Jason I wasn't trying to bust your chops. :smiley-clappin-yellow: I was just trying to inform the GP. Unfortunately gun laws can change too frequently. I would hate to see a fellow TOFer in a bind. Here's the BLM Barstow district info on hunting shooting in the area around Lucerne Valley, Stoddard Valley and Barstow.

http://www.blm.gov/c...w/recshoot.html

BTW there were tons of Jacks around Jawbone
It probably played out like this...

Jefferson, Franklin and the rest of the guys were sitting around over multiple rounds of micro-brew ales and said:

Madison: "We need to give people the right to believe what they want, say what they want, print BOTH of those AND get together when they feel like like it!"

[after an up-roarious round of laughter and side holding and breath catching]

Jefferson: "Yeah, right! How long do you think THAT ###### will last?"

Hamilton (after way too many beers for this important a task): "We'll make sure everyone has guns! I'll write it like: ..., blah, blah, etc; the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed... Ah nevermind; I'll write the rest later... Get me another beer!!!" (keep in mind beer steins were about a quart!)

Franklin (lifts his drunken head): "Dude! Philly Meet and Greet!!!!!!"

#9 Arise

Arise

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,222 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 09:02 AM

It's all good. I chalk it up as a lesson learned.

Thanks for the link Karstic. We may want to think having that link pinned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users