28 replies to this topic

#1 Brushstomper

Brushstomper

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:35 AM

I have been thinking about getting my 12 yr old daughter an over and under before the season starts. I was just planning on getting a 20 gauge but then someone told me a 28 is an awesome quail killer. Is there a big difference between the two. I think the 28 would be more expensive to shoot and I don't know if it would be worth it. Plus I would like to take her chukar hunting eventually too. Any shotgun brainiacs out there with some advice. Right now she shoots a little 20 gauge H&R pardner single shot.

Thanks

#2 tmoniz

tmoniz

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,067 posts
  • Interests:guns, hunting, flyfishing, nascar. and the wife.<br /><br />

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:13 AM

I would love to have a 28 but 20 is more available. I'll probably go with a 20 side by side.

T$
You can put lipstick on a pig. But it's still a pig.

#3 Jeremy

Jeremy

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:34 AM

Go with the 20, will save you a ton of $$$ in ammo and will be much easier to sell if you decide to upgrade her later.
When I die, please don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

#4 Arise

Arise

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,222 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:40 AM

Your daughter will have MUCH more success dropping birds w/ a 28. two-cents.gif

#5 GoneBirding

GoneBirding

UPLAND NUT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts
  • Interests:Upland, Waterfowl and Shotguns

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:44 AM

20 gauge two-cents.gif

#6 fudster

fudster

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • Interests:Hunt'n and Fish'n and the occasional ATV off road adventure.

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:46 AM

My son, Sean always out shot his older brother, back when they were using single shot, guns, 28g & 20g, respectively.
The 28g ammo is gonna cost you double the 20g though.
Just another white collar wage slave.

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
"Benjamin Franklin"

#7 Rice Quacker

Rice Quacker

Guide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:46 AM

QUOTE (tmoniz @ Aug 3 2011, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would love to have a 28 but 20 is more available. I'll probably go with a 20 side by side.

T$

CZ makes s/s in 20 & 28 gauge that are reasonable. I like them because the recievers are sized to the gauge of the gun.

#8 STEVE IN SOCAL

STEVE IN SOCAL

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:58 AM

My brother got on the 28gauge bus for a while. Swore by it. Now he shoots his 20gauge again. You MAY have regrets with the 28, but not with the 20.
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." --Roman philosopher and statesman Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)

#9 KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE

"Custom"

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:55 PM

2014-15 Count 105

#10 GUNDOGLOVER

GUNDOGLOVER

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping and a beer now and now

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:23 PM

Lets just say I would not want to go after Chuckar with a 28 gauge and hope for much success. 20 is more versatile. two-cents.gif

#11 ilovesprig

ilovesprig

"Custom"

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,404 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:27 PM

How much money do you have Brushie?..........................Because the 28 will cost you about twice a much for shells...................... afraid_face.gif

As far as how one shoots compared to the other........28's are sweet in the right gun (& shooter), but for a junior hunter, a good old youth 870 20 gauge I think's the call... two-cents.gif
San Diego County Fish and Wildlife Commissioner
"Friends of Wister" Volunteer
CWA Life Member

"Take'em sounds alot like gun fire" (Lujack... circa: 1998)

"Hey, I got my Limit" (Lujack...circa:2007)

#12 Brushstomper

Brushstomper

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:37 PM

Guys, I appreciate all the advice! Sprig I am married with three children ( all girls) money is tight : ) I think the 28 would be an awesome gun but the positives of the 20 gauge seems to win out. Now to find the right gun!!!

Thanks again guys,
Brushstomper

#13 STEVE IN SOCAL

STEVE IN SOCAL

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:52 PM

As I see it, you're more of a quail hunter....stick to the over/under
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." --Roman philosopher and statesman Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)

#14 gab909

gab909

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:32 AM

If she is already shooting an H&R single, and handling that recoil. Hell I don't like to shoot those. Get her a nice pump, cheaper, always find a used one. If recoil was an issue, I would say go with the 28, but as already mentioned she is shooting something that kicks like a 12. After she outgrows the youth stock, put a bigger stock on it and keep it around for awhile. Save the youth stock for the Grandkids afraid_face.gif

P.S. A 28 gauge will drop anything a 20 will
Hunt Rich, Live Poor!

#15 just_ducky_1

just_ducky_1

Guide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:47 AM

Look me up when I get back. Just happens to be I got a nice little 20ga side by side at the CWA banquet last year. If she wants to try one before you commit, you can borrow it. I live just around the block...kinda.

Gab909 has shot it at the skeet range on base. I'm putting a leather cheek pad on it b/c it was always shooting under the clay.

Let me know what ya think of dem apples.

Justin

Edited by just_ducky_1, 04 August 2011 - 07:48 AM.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users