17 replies to this topic

#1 Crapshoot

Crapshoot

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:45 PM

Are rodent bait stations typically ok with dogs around? Been told. The rodents can sometimes take some bait with them outside the station. Plus what would happen to a dog cat chewing on a poisoned mouse?

#2 DKScott

DKScott

EBS Wingshooter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,006 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:29 PM

No.

They use things like strychnine and warfarin. If a dog eats it, directly or indirectly, they will die. Its just a question of how long it will take. Warfarin causes massive internal hemorraging and the dog will bleed to death internally. Strychnine causes convulsions, tremors, hypersensitivity to even the smallest stimulus and a loss of muscular control until they finally paralyze and die of asphyxiation. Someone fed that to two of my dogs when I was a kid. Apparently they were barking. It took the dumbass vet a couple days to figure it out - I had to watch that suffering until then. One died in my dad's arms after about a day and a half. Since they were my dogs, I had to be the one to tell the vet to put down the one that was still alive - a 6 month old pup. Tough duty for a 10-year old kid.

BTW, snail pellets are just as lethal. A good friend lost his shorthair and nearly lost his EP when they got into some. Those green-up lawn food/weed killer products are also supposed to be dangerous for dogs. They eat the grass and its been linked to subsequent cancers.

My advice is don't keep or use poisons around your house. They are indiscriminate killers. A lot of them are also carcinogenic to the user (you). Use regular traps. Bait them with peanut butter. Works every time.
"One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am - a reluctant enthusiast....a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it's still here. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, the lovely, mysterious, and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much; I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those desk-bound men and women with their hearts in a safe deposit box, and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this; You will outlive the bastards."
― Edward Abbey

#3 fudster

fudster

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • Interests:Hunt'n and Fish'n and the occasional ATV off road adventure.

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:10 PM

That's exactly how I lost a springer a few years ago, (if you search my previous posts from a few years back you should find the one on my dog's demise). smiley-shakehead-blue.gif
I was getting ready for work one morning and looked outside to the backyard to see my dog Rocky laying there stiff as a board, with fluids leaking out both ends, sad scene to say the least.

Just another white collar wage slave.

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
"Benjamin Franklin"

#4 DKScott

DKScott

EBS Wingshooter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,006 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:48 PM

Someone else here lost his GSP that way a year or two ago. Its heartbreaking when it happens.
"One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am - a reluctant enthusiast....a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it's still here. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, the lovely, mysterious, and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much; I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those desk-bound men and women with their hearts in a safe deposit box, and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this; You will outlive the bastards."
― Edward Abbey

#5 madhunter

madhunter

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts
  • Interests:Deer, coyote & pig hunting D7 with bow and rifle. Fishing the same area for trout, kokanee, bass and bluegill. Getting my kids outside and away from anything electronic.

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:04 PM

A friend lost one lab last year to this and almost his second. The worst part was the farmer that put out the bait was also a friend but he just put it along the fence, no bait station. Bad deal.

#6 Crapshoot

Crapshoot

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:10 PM

Thanks for the input.......Sorry to hear some of the sad stories losing dogs......The position I am in is my wife absolutely hates mice / rats and these bait stations are being recommended by the exterminators for best long term control....they tell me they are safe around pets but I am wary and skeptical.....Im snapping them up pretty regular now outside the house...(three more last night) on snap traps...and grapes have been outperforming peanut butter almost 6-1..but the grapes sometimes get stolen.....has anyone tried to use a shock collar to train a dog to avoid a bait station?

#7 MexHunter

MexHunter

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts
  • Interests:Retriever Training, Hunting & Fishing

Posted 23 April 2011 - 05:08 AM

Aversion training using an ecollar is not 100% effective. A friend's chessie was bit on the nose by a rattler the day after receiving snake break training using the technique...and that was done by someone that knew what he was doing.

We have had a rodent problem in our garage. We bought one of the electronic traps and baited it with peanut butter. It nips the infestations in the bud.

My living Labs:

Capitan Maclish De Abreojos MH (Mac)
Waterdog's A Fine Mess QAA (Ollie)
Fargo So California NDL QAA (Cal)
Moonstones Melody NDL QAA (Jones)

#8 upper

upper

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 05:41 AM

QUOTE (MexHunter @ Apr 23 2011, 06:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aversion training using an ecollar is not 100% effective. A friend's chessie was bit on the nose by a rattler the day after receiving snake break training using the technique...and that was done by someone that knew what he was doing.

We have had a rodent problem in our garage. We bought one of the electronic traps and baited it with peanut butter. It nips the infestations in the bud.

Tell me more please......................Upper

#9 MexHunter

MexHunter

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts
  • Interests:Retriever Training, Hunting & Fishing

Posted 23 April 2011 - 06:38 AM

Victor brand electronic rodent trap. Home Depot for about $30. Put it up high were the dogs cannot stick their nose it it.
My living Labs:

Capitan Maclish De Abreojos MH (Mac)
Waterdog's A Fine Mess QAA (Ollie)
Fargo So California NDL QAA (Cal)
Moonstones Melody NDL QAA (Jones)

#10 Crapshoot

Crapshoot

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:59 AM

Thanks Again...Still just snapping away...two more last night...made me put out 4 more traps.....8 outside....8 inside....nothing inside X 2 weeks...something almost every night outside....+ lots of great stuff and steel wool outside to try to plug most of the holes.

#11 Chip Shot

Chip Shot

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Interests:Deer, bear, waterfowl and upland hunting

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:52 AM

Try cats around the house. They are natural born killers and the dogs can be trained to leave them alone. Every day our cats kill something around the yard- lots of mice but also song birds and lizards.

#12 Cal Hunter

Cal Hunter

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts
  • Interests:Hunting fishing with family and friends and anything else that has to do with the outdoors!

Posted 30 April 2011 - 08:57 AM

Crap shoot I am a pest control tech. If your getting rodents inside your tech should do an inspection and figure out there entry points. Then you need to fix all the enrty points. That Is the # 1 step. If your trappiing that many outside and still trapping them inside you are not going to beat them with just traps. Find the entry points! Also If your putting out rat traps outside be carful they are where pets cant step on them. Also put away all food sources. No bird feeders and if you have any thick brush or vines on your fence line trim it back. As far as bait boxes go thats your call. The only way the boxes wont be safe for your dogs is if they will chew up the box. You can ask you company if they have the metal bait boxes. The bait is on a rod inside the box it cant fall out. Your pest guy should anchor the boxes when he puts them out. Just keep in mind nothing is 100% safe. Theres always a small chance your pets may figure out a way to get into the box but in 7 years none have gotten into the ones I put out. DK is right on how the bait works so yes if your dog eats it he will more then likley die. Tell your pest guy to inspect and find all entry points to your home and the problem will go away inside. I hope some of this helps
2006 Bowtech Allegiance
Alpine drop away
Truglo extreme 5 pin
Doinker stabalizer

#13 Crapshoot

Crapshoot

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 01:55 PM

Thanks CalHunter.....The pest guy came again today......we put out three stations and he did anchor them down........We found some entry points last month....luckily none killed on traps inside the house for nearly a month......going on a couple of weeks on the garage now.....one corner of the house I was killing two three a night outside...the pest guy and I actually got another one this am when we opened up the BBQ one was there....must have been funny watching a couple guys run around trying to squash a mouse..thanks also on the caution about the rat traps...so far minimal rat signs but I know one is using outdoor BBQ island and one got caught by the leg on a mouse trap...also did the glue stuff but caught more lizards than anything...spent lots of time freeing two this am...that glue sucks!...........this has been my only spring adventure since my wife wants me to secure the house up instead of taking off turkey hunting............

#14 Cal Hunter

Cal Hunter

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts
  • Interests:Hunting fishing with family and friends and anything else that has to do with the outdoors!

Posted 30 April 2011 - 06:01 PM

check your garage door. see if you can fit a finger under the molding or wood trim when the door is open. If you can stuff it with steel wool. Also is there any gap at the bottom of the side door in the garage? A mouse only needs a 1/4 inch gap to get in. If there is put a door sweep on it. The bait boxes will help but make sure you have no other food sources out for them. No feeding birds, make sure pet food is in sealed containers, and if you have any fruit trees keep everything that falls off cleaned up. Its kinda like me offering you the choice between a hotdog or a steak. Force them to depend on the bait as there food source and you should be rodent free soon.
2006 Bowtech Allegiance
Alpine drop away
Truglo extreme 5 pin
Doinker stabalizer

#15 Crapshoot

Crapshoot

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:41 AM

Thank you again Calhunter.....that garage door one was also one of the first places closed up...the steel wool has been working great........I am still very wary with all the poison around......Warfrin...its used by humans too...but just in very very small dosages....a blood thinner...........too much blood thinner then thats when all the internal hemes show up...... but the stations have been staked to the ground...I am actually also surrounded by many fruit tress so rodents will always be around...as also the time for snakes to be showing up...Calhunter....I see how the bait is on rods....have you ever seen the rodents be able to take the bait outside the station?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users