21 replies to this topic

#1 d sea

d sea

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:42 AM

Anybody shooting Federal Heavy weight Shot shells? I'm curious what the opinions are on the stuff. Rogers has it on sale now for $170 per case of 3". About half the birds I shot last year didn't fall dead requiring either additional water shots or some other means to dispatch the bird. I'm curious if the denser pellets would make a difference.

Thanks for your input.

DC

#2 GroundPounder

GroundPounder

Guide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl hunting, Trapshooting, fishing and ride'n motorcycles.......and chase'n Women, but only a block or two.

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:56 AM

Any HD load is going to be better steel. I only shoot HD and for the $$$$ I like Hevi-shot and Rem HD. Lots of people shoot steel becaues they just don't know better.....have not been shooting long enough 2 remember lead maybe?.....HD is better than lead. As far as Federal, they make some of the best loads(I shoot Fed target loads when the $$$ is on the line)for hunting and target loads.
I swear you said kill'em.........
What choke you got in that thing?
When the feet come out its time.
When your @ the right place @ the right time even pissing into the wind works!
Who ever said $$ can't buy you love....never owned a Lab.

#3 d sea

d sea

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:08 AM

Thank GP, another follow-up question or 2 if you don't mind. When we were forced to switch to steel, I went up in shot size. With the HD shells, would you recommend dropping back down in shot size, say #6 for ducks and #2 for Geese? Also, looking at the Remington HD shells, I see they have shot weights of 1 1/4. 1 3/8, and 1 1/2. With steel, we've always been told that speed kills, but there's got to be a trade off. What shot weight are you using?

#4 sdbrewer

sdbrewer

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:07 AM

Fair amount of info here: http://www.theoutdoo...d...c=31562&hl=

#5 d sea

d sea

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE (sdbrewer @ Nov 4 2010, 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fair amount of info here: http://www.theoutdoo...d...c=31562&hl=

Damn, don't know how I missed that one when I search. Thanks. Looks like it answers my questions.

#6 Spirit OTM

Spirit OTM

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors! anytime anywhere

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:21 AM

Derrick I know you remember I reload Hevi Shot, Buddy there is no comparison, now in regards to your questions I guess I got all your answers. For ducks you don't need anything more than 1 1/4 and you can get that in a 2 3/4" shell around 1450fps. That is the exact load I reload I shoot everything with it. I messed around with 6's for awhile and they work just fine but I prefer 5's and 4's in that load and speed will kill anything that flies out to 60yds. Even cranes so if you have any more questions just ask buddy. I would look at the spec sheet though for the Federal stuff, if it is the same as Hevi shot it should be around 12.0 g/cc where as lead is around 10 g/cc and steel 7.8 g/cc or in that ball park.
God grant me...
The senility to forget the people I never liked
The good fortune to run into the ones that I do
And the eyesight to tell the difference."

Formerly the artist Muledeer07

#7 Green House

Green House

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:30 AM

I bought a case of 4's and have not used them yet. The price is very good at $1.70 a round. I am saving them for combo duck/goose hunting. If its going to be duck only I'll shoot the 3inch 1560 Kent #2. I may still buy the heavyshot #6 2 3/4 inch and with the $50 rebate, its about the same cost, 1.60-1.70 a round.

As folks pointed out once you make the switch, its hard to go back. Its not really to shoot ducks at 60-70 yards, its to retrieve them closer and in heavy wind get that second or third shot off to double or triple.

#8 d sea

d sea

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:31 AM

Thanks Wade. I just finished reading the link sdbrewer posted and read your comment there.

I couldn't find the specs for these particular shells on the Federal website, probably because (as was stated in the other thread) they are discontinued.

From the Rogers site they describe the shells as:

Federal PHW142 Heavyweight Shotshell, 12 Ga. 3"

Heavyweight pellets are 30% denser than lead (15 grams per cubic centimeter vs. 12 g/cc for lead)

They don't have any of the 2 3/4" shells, I may just spring for the 3" #4s and give them a shot.

Thanks

Don

#9 GroundPounder

GroundPounder

Guide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl hunting, Trapshooting, fishing and ride'n motorcycles.......and chase'n Women, but only a block or two.

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:31 AM

Drop a size or two. HD has something steel lacks....down range energy! I love 2 3/4 #6 for Ducks and even shoot big Honkers with it. For Snows and Specks 3 in #4. I like 3in #4 & #2 for Honkers, but like I've said 2 3/4 #6 with a skeet choke is deadly if you get them in your face(Like on Migration Nation last year in MO.)
I swear you said kill'em.........
What choke you got in that thing?
When the feet come out its time.
When your @ the right place @ the right time even pissing into the wind works!
Who ever said $$ can't buy you love....never owned a Lab.

#10 d sea

d sea

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:33 AM

QUOTE (Green House @ Nov 4 2010, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I bought a case of 4's and have not used them yet. The price is very good at $1.70 a round. I am saving them for combo duck/goose hunting. If its going to be duck only I'll shoot the 3inch 1560 Kent #2. I may still buy the heavyshot #6 2 3/4 inch and with the $50 rebate, its about the same cost, 1.60-1.70 a round.

As folks pointed out once you make the switch, its hard to go back. Its not really to shoot ducks at 60-70 yards, its to retrieve them closer and in heavy wind get that second or third shot off to double or triple.

Agreed. I'm tired of crippling ducks that I shoot even at 25- 30 yards. My 5 year old daughter was traumatized watching her uncle smack a duck's head against his gun stock to finish it off.LOL

Thanks

Don

Edited by d sea, 04 November 2010 - 10:34 AM.

#11 Spirit OTM

Spirit OTM

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors! anytime anywhere

Posted 04 November 2010 - 11:17 AM

I never did answer your question D about the speed though you don't need 1500 fps with the denser material actually your wasting space for shot with that much powder. I shoot 1450 because that's the recipe I developed with some engineers from HS 6 years ago. Anything around 1400 works fine. I think 1300 is a little slow but the heavy stuff carries speed well. 3" 4's is deadly on anything I wouldn't bother with the 2's. I take it that since there 3" shells were talking 1 3/8 right. Can't push an 1 1/2 half over 1400 and 1 1/4 in 3" is probably pushing 1500 or better. You won't be sorry and the only reason I posted the 60yd thing is because in Canada we hunted a ridgeline where the cranes came in from the river and thats the only shots we had the guide wanted us to use 3 1/2" T's or BBB's I stuck with the 4's in 2 3/4 and never had a problem. I like em in close as well I also shoot I/C choke.
God grant me...
The senility to forget the people I never liked
The good fortune to run into the ones that I do
And the eyesight to tell the difference."

Formerly the artist Muledeer07

#12 d sea

d sea

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE (Spirit OTM @ Nov 4 2010, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I never did answer your question D about the speed though you don't need 1500 fps with the denser material actually your wasting space for shot with that much powder. I shoot 1450 because that's the recipe I developed with some engineers from HS 6 years ago. Anything around 1400 works fine. I think 1300 is a little slow but the heavy stuff carries speed well. 3" 4's is deadly on anything I wouldn't bother with the 2's. I take it that since there 3" shells were talking 1 3/8 right. Can't push an 1 1/2 half over 1400 and 1 1/4 in 3" is probably pushing 1500 or better. You won't be sorry and the only reason I posted the 60yd thing is because in Canada we hunted a ridgeline where the cranes came in from the river and thats the only shots we had the guide wanted us to use 3 1/2" T's or BBB's I stuck with the 4's in 2 3/4 and never had a problem. I like em in close as well I also shoot I/C choke.

Actually, the Federal shells are 3" 1 1/4oz #4 and are listed at 1450 fps. In looking around the web, I saw the Remington HD's in 3" 1 3/8, but not the Federals. For the price difference, I think I'm going to see about ordering the Federal shells. Worst case scenario, I should still be better off them with steel I'm currently using.

Good to see you the other day at San Jac. Even with our great reservation draw, it was a slow day for us.

Thanks again.

Don

#13 ilovesprig

ilovesprig

"Custom"

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,333 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:22 PM

Well, I guess someone has defend steel...................... laugh.gif

Don,

I find it hard to believe if you shoot well, correctly, or "in range" that Hevi-Shot, HD, Fed HW, etc. kills ducks any deader than good old Kent Fasteel............. smiley_snopes_check_sign.gif

I'll use 3 1/2" 1 3/8 2's 1550 fps as an example................The faster load means you have to lead less (my guess your shooting behind birds and hitting them in the body). The 1/3/8 oz load is more than deadly out to 50 yds (probably shouldn't be shooting ducks any farther than this anyway). And the cost comparison is off the charts. $1.70 a pull on sale, compared to about .65 a pull on sale. I have many friends who shoot just the Kent Fasteel 3" 1 1/8 3's 1560 fps loads (about .52 a pull) and are great shots.

I'm thinking it isn't the shells. Try having your gun fitted to you. Many shotguns come with shims for adjustments (Benelli). Try Tru-Glo sights (Benelli). Try shooting a gun that's a little lighter with shorter barrel (26" Benelli). These are just a couple of things that could be effecting your lack of clean kills.

I'm 62 and I fought the changeover from lead to steel for a LOOOOONG time......... smiley-cool-shades-down.gif ................Todays steel is nothing like the original stuff................... two-cents.gif
San Diego County Fish and Wildlife Commissioner
"Friends of Wister" Volunteer
CWA Life Member

"Take'em sounds alot like gun fire" (Lujack... circa: 1998)

"Hey, I got my Limit" (Lujack...circa:2007)

#14 d sea

d sea

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:52 PM

Thanks for the input Steve. I've shot steel since they banned lead, Federal, Remington, Kent and Winchester. It wasn't until last year that I started really noticing (or paying attention to) the amount of birds I've knocked down and had to dispatch on the water. I don't think the gun is the problem, at least is hasn't been for the last 10 years or so. Could be the shooter though. 16.gif

I did have a shot recently at some low flying divers and noticed that I was shooting behind them a bit (I could see the pellets hitting the water behind them), so the body shot example may be what's going on. The shells I used last year were a little slower than the ones I used in years past (1400 vs. 1560) opting for more pellets at the cost of speed. Inside 30 yards, I wouldn't think it would matter all that much, but I guess it could thereby resulting in body shots vs. head shots. I've never bothered to pattern the new shells to see what the patterns look like at that distance.

Since I'm starting to run a little low on shells, I guess I'm just trying to see what's out there and trying to figure out what the best bang for my buck will be.

Thanks for the input. $.60 is a lot easier to swallow than $1.70.

Don

#15 slinky_70

slinky_70

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 01:14 PM

I have to agree with Trig. We have been shooting 3" Kent faststeel for years and it hits as hard as any shell we have used. If you work your birds in no problems with kill shots. Cost is the big thing for me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users