9 replies to this topic

#1 Michael

Michael

"Custom"

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 05:19 AM

I have never hunted that far north on the River. Rice Quaker mentioned it on the previous post what do you guys think about it for Upland Hunting ?
45 Pheasants 2011 Season

#2 Socal Waterfowler

Socal Waterfowler

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:24 AM

We use to hunt Dove and Quail quite frequently on the CRIT until they raised they got greedy and raised the License Fee. We've had some good dove shoots on their land but haven't hunted it for 3 years now. I think the license was $70 or 75 when we said no more.

#3 vamos a cazar

vamos a cazar

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:51 PM

Concur. If their intent was to limit hunters they succeeded. Me and a mob of friends used to go there all the time. Prices went up and we went away. Plenty of good hunting an hour or less from home so why go there? Didn't they also reduce the limit from the AZ 15 to the CA 10? That was the last straw for me.
But I will say that when I was down there regularly I had a Win. Mod. 42, one of several I've had over the years, that was a peach and I did some of the best shooting with it. Not so much anymore. :-) But great memories. A library full of 'em. I could fill a book nearly I think.
Then there was the time, now that I think more about the CRIT, when I noticed my dog laboring. Stopped immediately, threw her in the truck and flew to the nearest irrigation canal. Threw her in and she swam around for about 60-90 minutes cooling off. That really scared me into paying closer attention.
Oh, and they got some of the most ill-tempered rattlesnakes I've ever run across. Maybe they didn't like Californians coming into the state.
"[T]he harder the task the greater is success."

Aristotle
The Ethics

#4 API

API

My Indian name is "Runs with Beer"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,294 posts
  • Interests:What?

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:50 AM

Just curious, does CRIT mean one set of hunting regulations or does each tribe have some rules of their own? Also, is CRIT separate from the Indian lands around Somerton?
DUE TO THE PRICE INCREASE ON AMMUNITION...
DO NOT EXPECT A WARNING SHOT !
Thank you for your understanding :smiley-yellow:/>

"I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa ― not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car". Wil Shriner

"It's okay to take your meds with beer." - Ray Kelly

#5 DKScott

DKScott

EBS Wingshooter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,834 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:01 AM

The CRIT is (or was) one set of rules. The name implies more than one tribe, but IIRC, it functions as a unified government. Without a map, I can't answer the Somerton question. The CRIT website used to have hunting information on it, but I couldn't find any when i looked recently, though they still refer to hunting as a recreational opportunity.

Vic, I am planning on being buried with my M-42, cause you know there will be great hunting in heaven. Other than a giant leap of faith about getting there, the only things I am concerned about are ammo availability and where do I pick up my dogs?
"One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am - a reluctant enthusiast....a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it's still here. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, the lovely, mysterious, and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much; I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those desk-bound men and women with their hearts in a safe deposit box, and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this; You will outlive the bastards."
― Edward Abbey

#6 QALHNTR

QALHNTR

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 06:50 AM

QUOTE (API @ Jun 30 2010, 07:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, is CRIT separate from the Indian lands around Somerton?

I've got a nice map of the CRIT and the southern boundary is well west of Quartzite and north of the 10 Fwy. I'd say definitely separate. Oh yeah, there are NO birds out there.

Excellence is not a singular act, but a habit. You are what you repeatedly do.

A man's footprints in life are only as deep as the ones that follow in his steps.

#7 Michael

Michael

"Custom"

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 08:02 AM

. Crit indian tribes are further north centered around Parker the Cocapah are a lower Colorado River Tribe not affiliated with the Crit nation . I have hunted in and aroud the Cocapah since I was 9 years old but never been up north on the River and from the sounds of things I think I will stay where I am thanks for the input
45 Pheasants 2011 Season

#8 Rice Quacker

Rice Quacker

Guide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:34 AM

Do CRIT shoot times for dove end at noon like the rest of Arizona and does anyone have the phone number for their FG office? I checked the CRIT website and found nothing.

#9 DKScott

DKScott

EBS Wingshooter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,834 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:38 AM

QUOTE (Rice Quacker @ Aug 4 2010, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do CRIT shoot times for dove end at noon like the rest of Arizona and does anyone have the phone number for their FG office? I checked the CRIT website and found nothing.

They pulled the F&G page off their website. Try this:

CRIT Fish and Game Department
PO Box 777
Parker, AZ 85344
Tel: (928) 669-9285 Fax: (928) 669-6430
Email: critfg@direcway.com
"One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am - a reluctant enthusiast....a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it's still here. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, the lovely, mysterious, and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much; I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those desk-bound men and women with their hearts in a safe deposit box, and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this; You will outlive the bastards."
― Edward Abbey

#10 Rice Quacker

Rice Quacker

Guide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:27 AM

QUOTE (DKScott @ Aug 4 2010, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Rice Quacker @ Aug 4 2010, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They pulled the F&G page off their website. Try this:

CRIT Fish and Game Department
PO Box 777
Parker, AZ 85344
Tel: (928) 669-9285 Fax: (928) 669-6430
Email: critfg@direcway.com

Thanks, I called them and they have the noon stop time like the rest of Arizona.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users