#1 denis

denis

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Interests:all fishing & hunting

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:00 AM

just wondering if anyone knows ehere i could pick up some crawdads. My friends and I go to Lake Mojave every year at this time. The last 2 years its been slow but when i cleaned the fish last year they had crawdads in them. Id think even dead would wk.thanks denis

#2 CAhntr

CAhntr

Road hunter extraodinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
  • Interests:Playing with my kids, hunting,fishing, playing guitar, breeding tropical fish

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:07 AM

Get a trap and you can have all the crawdads you can catch. 2.gif
Nothing man can do could ever compare to the glory of God's creation.

#3 DOG ON POINT

DOG ON POINT

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:07 AM

Garden Grove. Couple of the markets off Euclid & the 22 area are always advertising. I drive today and see if I can find the place... Euclid & chapman, or garden grove blvd...also check ranch 99 etc...

#4 Waterfowlsniper

Waterfowlsniper

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:26 AM

Ya 99 ranch in Irvine off of Culver and Irvine Ctr usually has em...

KILL THAT BIRD!!

#5 denis

denis

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Interests:all fishing & hunting

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:33 AM

i went to 99 and didnt have them yesterday and my brother recomended a couple place in GG and didnt have them also>DOP let me know thanks. I think they come and go in places i hope to find some today IF POSSIBLE GUYS. thanks everyone!

#6 hntnnut

hntnnut

Outdoors Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Interests:HUNTING , FISHING - MOST ANYTHING OUTDOORS

Posted 04 March 2010 - 12:30 PM

The sports chalet in rancho cucamonga off the 15 used to have them.

Richard

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The 30-06, Jack of all trades-master of none. Production of the "ought 6" should of ceased in 1925 with the introduction of the only cartridge needed from mice to elephants and kills like a death-ray, the .270 Win.

#7 chuam

chuam

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 12:42 PM

Buy a trap and take it with you to Lake Mojave. Drop in a can of cat food and leave it overnight. We used to do this at Lake Berryesa, Lake Tahoe and othe lakes when I lived in Norcal. If the fish are eating them they are there and you can really load up on them.
www.KillZoneOutfitters.com - Field tester

#8 DeltaDan

DeltaDan

"So this dyslexic alcoholic walked into a bra......."

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,595 posts
  • Location:Oakley, California (via Brentwood- about 4 miles down the road)

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:00 PM

Traps are fairly cheap ~~ $14 a trap mabey with with my rope cost included ?? .... I throw mine in the spring anywhere where there is some Current on Rocks. -- but the temp is not here as of yet. 59F -64F they will be Popping out of the mud and ready to molt off their shells while looking for an easy meal.

I don't use them for bait -- I eat them. -- And then when the weeds/grass come into play .. they become harder to get on a pattern for ~ as they are eating the shimp up in the grass ~~ and stay off the bottom gound out of the way from predators. By then - it is time to start tossing Frog lures out on the tops of the weed mats.

I use frozen Mackerell for bait from Lucky's -- 68 cents a pound the last time I bought it.
I have been Re-Born into the Paternal BrothA'hood of the Lounge Lizards ~!!
~~ Blood in....... Blood Out.... Thats how we roll Baby !!

"Restoration- It is the key to Habitat and it's Preservation where Natures Game can take it's Refugation- as long as there is not Conservation that kills off the Hunting/Gaming Equation- leading into Unmanned Depredation of Natures Transformation." ( A Coors Light momentary thought. )

#9 CAhntr

CAhntr

Road hunter extraodinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
  • Interests:Playing with my kids, hunting,fishing, playing guitar, breeding tropical fish

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:10 PM

QUOTE (DeltaDan @ Mar 4 2010, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't use them for bait -- I eat them.

Same here! I haven't trapped any in a while but used to all the time when I was younger. They are dee-lish! beer-toast.gif
Nothing man can do could ever compare to the glory of God's creation.

#10 DOG ON POINT

DOG ON POINT

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE (chuam @ Mar 4 2010, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Buy a trap and take it with you to Lake Mojave. Drop in a can of cat food and leave it overnight. We used to do this at Lake Berryesa, Lake Tahoe and othe lakes when I lived in Norcal. If the fish are eating them they are there and you can really load up on them.

sorry for the hijack... Chaum, what can you tell me about lake Berryesa? going to be up in Fort Bragg & Napa for spring break. camping & time share... plan on hunting turkeys on some WU land, one of which is next too lake Berryesa. going to have the kids with me... any fish in there? thanks.

#11 denis

denis

Sportsman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Interests:all fishing &amp; hunting

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:06 PM

i have a trap and have done so before. Just no time since im leaving tomorrow guys. Thanks anyways

#12 chuam

chuam

"Custom"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:18 PM

QUOTE (DOG ON POINT @ Mar 4 2010, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (chuam @ Mar 4 2010, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sorry for the hijack... Chaum, what can you tell me about lake Berryesa? going to be up in Fort Bragg & Napa for spring break. camping & time share... plan on hunting turkeys on some WU land, one of which is next too lake Berryesa. going to have the kids with me... any fish in there? thanks.

This time of year should have some good trout fishing from the bank. Trolling the main lake was always best for trout. There are also tons of bass and bluegills. I used to float tube it or troll the lake with my dad when I was younger.

If you fly fish check out Putah Creek.

If you're in Fort Bragg check out the skunk train: http://www.skunktrain.com/
It's a really cool thing to check out.
www.KillZoneOutfitters.com - Field tester

#13 DeltaDan

DeltaDan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,595 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 03:23 PM

DOP - If your gona fish Berry or Sonoma Lake from shore ~ there are only 3 baits that you would really need.

A Dropshot Worm in purple or Margarita Mutalator III. Pitch it out there and just let it sit there -- with a slight jiggle.

A 1/2 Football jighead -- with a doubble tailed Hula-Grub on the back ( .... and dip the tails in Garlic/Carturse Dip and Dye) You will need #14 test or better working up the bank using a Floro line -- and check/cutoff/retie that line almost every cast on the rock outcroppings for knicks.

Your other options if you can get in the right positions/time of year ..... Wake Baits for early to mid morning -- and slow sinking/moving swim-baits in trout working them back very slow after you counted them down to the depth that you wish to bring them back. A coupple of pops looking behind themselves and then sitting/sinking again for a slooooow roll back up the bank.

"Restoration- It is the key to Habitat and it's Preservation where Natures Game can take it's Refugation- as long as there is not Conservation that kills off the Hunting/Gaming Equation- leading into Unmanned Depredation of Natures Transformation." ( A Coors Light momentary thought. )

#14 DeltaDan

DeltaDan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,595 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 03:33 PM

Also -- If you want to camp with your family -- Lake Sonoma is where you need to go !

#15 nicapopolis

nicapopolis

More Money Shots....Please

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:18 PM

Wish I would have saw this earlier. I have a local spot where a string and some hot dogs can catch you hundreds!!
Formerly Chompot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users